Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of turning to the Darkside

5 posters

Go down

Thinking of turning to the Darkside Empty Thinking of turning to the Darkside

Post  3milerider Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:36 am

Well, it's getting to be about time for me to replace the tires on my new bike. Bought a '05 Honda Shadow Aero 750 about a month ago that had low mileage, but still had stock tires on it. A few days ago I was cleaning the bike up and noticed that my tires are starting to crack on the sidewalls. Nothing serious yet, but enough to get me thinking about new tires. As this is my first time changing tires on any bike I've owned (my old one was a daily commuter bike that after 3 1/2 years still has pretty fresh looking tires) and the first time I've actually cared to do research on my vehicle rather than just let a shop make my decisions (I'm a lot more invested in the fun of my bike than I ever have been with a car).

So, I stumbled across a mention of the Darkside on another forum I frequent, but the topic is quickly squelched there due to inevitable flaming, so I decided to come seek an open place to ask questions. First, I've done enough research to figure out that 165/80/15 is what I need for my rear, it's just a matter of finding a shop to mount/balance them for me as I don't have the equipment at home.

What I want to know is, how can I tell if the bead will match up? Will any 165/80/15 match my rim? Does it matter that I'll be forced to mix radial and bias-ply (I can't find a radial CT/MT that will fit my front, or a bias-ply CT that fits my rear)? Does it matter that my bike has spoked wheels, so that it is designed for bias-plys (or so I understand)? And finally, if I do go radial, I still need to use a tube correct?

3milerider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Thinking of turning to the Darkside Empty Re: Thinking of turning to the Darkside

Post  twin1300 Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:07 am

Bias/Radial are most of us are running now! NO ISSUES! That's just a myth you can't mix them.

165/80/15 is a great tire. My first darkside on my 1300 was that tire and I loved it.

Welcome to our site sir!

..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Thinking of turning to the Darkside Empty Re: Thinking of turning to the Darkside

Post  jedishon Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:08 am

FirstFirst. Welcome to the site.
Second. Never put a car tire on the front, unless you buy a can am then you will need 2. What is called a double darkside is putting a rear motorcycle tire on the front.
Third you will still use a motorcycle tube unless you seal your rims or buy a cast one. People have been putting up to a 205 on their 750's. My recommendation would be to measure your bead width on your rim. Go to a tire store with a tape measure and check the bead width of the tires. Since you are using a tube I would not go more than a half inch wider on the tire. You could probably find a 195 that would work.
That is just my thought and I'm sure others will chime in with there's. Ask anything you like.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am

Welcome
A 165/80/15 will fit your rim. (Where did you find one that size?) You will need to use a new motorcycle tube if you don't seal your rims. Clean your inside rim lip good, and have them use plenty of lube and it should bead easily. It won't matter if you use a radial rear and a bias ply front. The old warning about not mixing them was about not using them on the same axle on your car. I took my wheel to a local Mom & Pop Tire and Muffler place to have my tire mounted and balanced it with Dynabeads. Vader
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  3milerider Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:39 am

Discount Tire Company offers a 165/80/15 on their website, I haven't called any of the local stores to see if they actually carry it though (they'd probably order it for me if I wanted though, they're usually pretty good about that). As for the Dynas, do you just pour them in and that takes care of the balancing? Or do you still need a traditional balancing run as well.

I might go larger as well, @jedishon, you said people have been putting up to 205's on, do you happen to know if that's without any mods to the rear fender? Or should I just go browse the shadow section and see what shows up?

3milerider

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 am

Welcome to the site 3mile rider. First let me voice my concerns about you going darkside. These are high mileage tires and your current bike being 3 1/2 years old and the tread still looking new tells me you are not a distance rider. All tires have a life span of 6 years before they need to be replaced. Your current riding style will barely wear out a fast burning MC tire in that time frame let alone a car tire. My main concern here is that you will continue to ride the tire after the expiration date and potentially put yourself into a dangerous position.

Now that I am off my soap box lets address your questions.

The 165'80-15 is perfect for your scoot. It will mount up with no problems. The khumo powerstar is highly recommended as a tried and true tire. I ran it as my first darkside tire and to be honest it was my absolute favorite of the five car tires I have run on 2 different bikes.

You will need to run a MC tube in the rear.

There are absolutely no ill effects from running a bias front and a radial rear tire. I have over 60k running this setup and love it.

You can go wider if you want to on the size but I would caution you against it. The 165-80 handles the closest to a MC tire with all the benefits of a car tire.

The dyna beads can be poured into the tube through the valve stem before it is installed, the beads will not hurt your tube at all.
I use the same place I buy my tires from to mount them. I just pull the wheel and carry it in. They only charge $8 to mount it whereas a MC shop is no less than 25 just to mount not to mention removing the wheel from the bike.

Good luck

See you out there
Smokey

Last edited by smokey2255 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  3milerider Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:24 am

Previous bike not current bike is 3 1/2 years with new looking tires (has about 8K miles on it). It's also a 125cc that I used solely for in-town travel. Bought it because I was brand new to motorcycles, unsure if I really wanted to ride, didn't want to shell out a bunch of money (got it brand new from a shop for under 2k), and didn't want to kill/injure myself with too much power and too little experience.

Now that I've upgraded to something highway capable and am much more confident in my skills (and also very sure that I want to continue riding for years) I plan to start doing some real rides and making it a road trip machine. I guess I'll go hunt around and see what shops will mount my tire for me.

How do you guys pull the tires off, do you have a separate jack/stand or do you just lay the bike on its side?

3milerider

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 pm

MAn I am glad you took that the way it was intended. Was afraid you would get pissed and storm off (it has happened, I have that effect on people) Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ok now knowing that it is a little 125 and the reasoning behind your getting it I feel better about your going dark. Definately you will want to stick with teh 165-80 at least for your first tire. Get to know your bike and the characteristics of it before you throw a fatty on there.

I use the luminum 1500 lb jack from sears for my bikes. Some use the harbor freight version but I have seen a few of these fail and all of hem while the bike was in the air making it a scary mofo to get the bikes down. The sears jack ran me 139 on sale normally 169. You will not be able to get teh rear tire off if you have a through and through axle on the scoot and I am fairly certain that you do. Only bike I know for sure that can be laid down is the gl1800 goldwing.

What part of the country are you in?
See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  3milerider Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Hmm, I'll have to consider getting one of those jacks in the future, this time I might just have them do it on-bike for me (limited space where I'm at right now).

And I live in San Antonio, TX although I'm considering moving up to Oregon sometime in the next few years.

3milerider

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:28 pm

the cost of the jack will be offset having a shop remove two wheels off the bike
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum