Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twisties on a car tire?

+2
twin1300
SgtLawdawg
6 posters

Go down

Twisties on a car tire? Empty Twisties on a car tire?

Post  SgtLawdawg Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:30 am

I have read on here and on another site about the use of car tires. I have been toying with the idea myself. The biggest question I have is this: How does it effect the handling in the twisties. I have an '06 Vulcan 2000 Lt. The best mc tire I have found was a E3. There is only about 1/2 inch on each side that I haven't used. You know, the chicken strip..lol. Will someone please tell me how it feels on the twisties?
SgtLawdawg
SgtLawdawg

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-07-22

Back to top Go down

Twisties on a car tire? Empty Re: Twisties on a car tire?

Post  twin1300 Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 am

http://www.streetfire.net/video/ngaride_2004554.htm

Here....this is me with my helmet camera riding some North Georgia roads! You can hear my pipes and pegs dragging with no issues what so ever. Enjoy! You ever go to the darkside, you will burn every E3 you ever road....LOL

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:19 am

Not many twisties in this area, but I have riden through the Ozarks. Once you find your sweet spot on tire pressure there isn't anything your cruiser can ask the tire to do that it wont do better than a mt. That of course is my humble opinion, and may be the opinion of the 2000+ members of this site, but you'll have to ask them.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MAS Tequila Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:22 pm

After your used to it you will swear it handles better than any MC tire.

Come up to Maggie Valley and ride with us. We'll be there Aug 6-8th, staying at the Applecover.

MT
MAS Tequila
MAS Tequila

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  SgtLawdawg Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Cool! My Goodyear TT is on the way. Now, I read something about dynabeads. What in the ____ are they? I think they have something to do with balancing? Help me out again please.
SgtLawdawg
SgtLawdawg

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Use them for balancing your tire. The are little ceramic beads that constantly balance your tire. You can check them out at http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  moparman Thu May 05, 2011 5:35 pm

If you haven't ridden a bike with a car tire yet, just remember there is more countersteering used with a CT. After some miles you will just ride that way. It will feel natural in 100 miles but the first time is a little odd to figure out and then once you know what kind of countersteering it takes you just automatically do it. Welcome to the Darkside.
moparman
moparman

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

Twisties on a car tire? Empty Love it

Post  SgtLawdawg Thu May 05, 2011 11:14 pm

I have had my tire on now for over 4000 miles. Have not had any problems. Once I got it out of my head that it was a CT. Handles great. Headed to Maggie Valley next week. Hope to run into some of y'all. Cheers
SgtLawdawg
SgtLawdawg

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 am

SgtLawdawg wrote:I have had my tire on now for over 4000 miles. Have not had any problems. Once I got it out of my head that it was a CT. Handles great. Headed to Maggie Valley next week. Hope to run into some of y'all. Cheers

cheers
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri May 06, 2011 9:07 am

I was gonna say you're welcome to try and catch me all over N. Georgia - even tho I've had to slow it down a bit, we don't see many bikes catching our cruisers.
As for chikkin strips, you can't go by that on the CT - there will BE no "strip" because the tire stays flat on the side.
Interestingly, my little monowheel trailer has the landing gear feet ground off and the tire only has a 1/4" chikkin strip on it - and that's from fully loaded with gear and the ol' lady on the back.
[URL=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2633801740106878013idShht]Twisties on a car tire? 2633801740106878013S600x600Q85
Matter of fact, the spokes on the rear have come loose once, and I broke 2 last weekend riding hard, another on the way home taking it easy (pulling the trailer) and now have FatBoy wheels on her so I can ride the way I like. The tire is NEVER a problems of ANY kind!
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 am

quadancer wrote:I was gonna say you're welcome to try and catch me all over N. Georgia - even tho I've had to slow it down a bit, we don't see many bikes catching our cruisers.
As for chikkin strips, you can't go by that on the CT - there will BE no "strip" because the tire stays flat on the side.
Interestingly, my little monowheel trailer has the landing gear feet ground off and the tire only has a 1/4" chikkin strip on it - and that's from fully loaded with gear and the ol' lady on the back.
[URL=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2633801740106878013idShht]Twisties on a car tire? 2633801740106878013S600x600Q85
Matter of fact, the spokes on the rear have come loose once, and I broke 2 last weekend riding hard, another on the way home taking it easy (pulling the trailer) and now have FatBoy wheels on her so I can ride the way I like. The tire is NEVER a problems of ANY kind!

Very nice looking set up quadancer!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down