Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CT edge differences and results

+2
twin1300
quadancer
6 posters

Go down

CT edge differences and results Empty CT edge differences and results

Post  quadancer Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:53 pm

As I await my Comtrak Vredestein, I continue to study forums on darksiding. I see 2 different things happening on the edges and sidewalls of the tires, and have an opinion to what is better.
1.) A sharp vs rounded edge
2.) Tread continuing onto the sidewall or ending at the tread edge.

I selected the Dunlop Signature for my buddy Vader because it has a more rounded edge like a MT and tread that wraps around onto the sidewall, in case he can actually get that far down. (He may; it's a 1300 VTX)
http://www.amazon.com/60R17-Dunlop-Signature-Tires-Quantity/dp/B002RMYYCY

Either it is A.) the sidewall flexes enough to keep the face tread flat on the tarmac, or
B.) the bike rolls over the edge and onto the sidewall.
The videos appear to show the tread staying flat for the most part, but IMO, the crossover effect should be lessened by a rounded edge - the tire won't drastically shoot from one distinct edge to the opposing one. None of the vids I've seen so far really have enough detail to tell.

Subject two:
I think I'd rather find out I have a flat when cruising than when I'm slamming a mountain curve. For this reason, it behooves me to spurn the idea of a runflat, which will feel fine...until...wobblewobblewobble?

What do you guys think?
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

CT edge differences and results Empty Re: CT edge differences and results

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:12 pm

Subject 2.......answer!!!! Ok...you are thinking toooooooooo hard on this! First of all you DO NOT want a run flat! You want a regular tire because if you have a flat or low pressure you will know way before you get to the twisties that you have an issue with a car tire. Because the side walls flex easier and are softer than a motorcycle tire or a run flat car tire, you will notice way sooner and able to stop and have it checked. If you have a run flat you will not know until you over heat it by low air pressure (100% of damaged of failed tires come from low air pressure) on good tires....why would you want to run a run flat.

As a matter of fact the ONLY failure we have ever seen with a car tire is from a "run flat" and he blistered the side walls out of both sides!!!!!! Very dangerous!!!

JMO...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 pm

I hope you are happy with what you get.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:55 am

Twin: there IS no "thinking too hard" when experimenting with your ass on a cheese grater!
Yeah, that one failure would be the first I've heard of, but something I'd expect if running a runflat.
I have some extensive study on this, and saw some guys recommending them. Evidently they've not
had a flat yet.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:06 am

quadancer wrote:Twin: there IS no "thinking too hard" when experimenting with your ass on a cheese grater!
Yeah, that one failure would be the first I've heard of, but something I'd expect if running a runflat.
I have some extensive study on this, and saw some guys recommending them. Evidently they've not
had a flat yet.

IF you are going to run a "run-flat," you had better chech the T/P EVERY TIME you ride. The problem is you could have a slow leak...AND NEVER KNOW IT. And if you ride it too long...bye-bye sidewall. affraid

Best bet is to buy a plug kit and buy a regular tire, IMHO. Wink

Id rather get a flat than have a blow
out. :study
:
ToMang07
ToMang07

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:50 pm

WOW, talk about over thinking this shit, just get ya a tire. mount it and ride the piss out of it. Wanna run a runflat. have at it, but get you a tire pressure monitoring system to go with it. DOnt want the hassle of the aTPMS, get ya a regular tire and a plug kit and compressor, or just ride it.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:28 pm

quadancer wrote:Twin: there IS no "thinking too hard" when experimenting with your ass on a cheese grater!
had a flat yet.

If you don't want my advice...then ride what ever you want then. No hard feelings, it's just wasn't logical thinking using a run flat when the danger would be an un-known until it's toooooo late! With a regular car tire, it will always give you a warning way before any damage could happen.

And don't talk to me about your ass as a cheese grater......I AM THE ORIGINATOR OF THE DARKSIDE FOR THE 1300's and the 205 on the 1300's. I went first before anyone in this country to the darkside on the 1300's and I did put my ass where my mouth was....ahhhh! Wait that didn't come out right....LOL

Geaux for it!.....................bobby

Last edited by twin1300 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:44 pm

[quote="twin1300"]
quadancer wrote:Twin:

And don't talk to me about your ass as a cheese grater......I AM THE ORIGINATOR OF THE DARKSIDE FOR THE 1300's or the 205 on the 1300's. I went first before anyone in this country to the darkside on the 1300's and I did put my ass where my mouth was....ahhhh! Wait that didn't come out right....LOL

Geaux for it!.....................bobby

That was WAY TOO MUCH INFO, TWIN!!!! Shocked

Laughing lol!
ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Twin I followed you on the 205. Does that mean I put my ass where your mouth was?

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Perhaps it was on the GL 1800 forums or somewhere that one guy posted that his runflat DID NOT give him any warning until the curves, but he was okay, just shaken...not stirred. So that makes me leary of them, but doesn't matter anyway - the ONE tire on the planet to fit the Herry just arrived today. Looks great. Too bad we have a club run tomorrow, or I'd be at the bike shop! Oh wait, gotta wait for the dynabeads to get here anyway.
Now to figure out if the MT tube will work in the larger tire. From 150/70/16 to 175/70/16...I don't know about stretching it that far.

Oh, and I check pressures about every other ride. I think that's enough, but nothing can tell you that you've sprung a leak except low pressure when riding.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:03 pm

jedishon wrote:Twin I followed you on the 205. Does that mean I put my ass where your mouth was?

Jerry

AAhahahaha Yes it does!!

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:36 am

Alright guys, enough of the ass/mouth talk. I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Yuk!!!!

Oh just to keep this thread on topic. The run flat is a bad idea.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Which I thought from the start; now the second question was about running the MT tube in the CT. Is that too much stretch or no? You see the river tubers blow innertubes up massively, so I woulnd't think that another inch over stock would hurt.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:25 pm

quadancer wrote:Which I thought from the start; now the second question was about running the MT tube in the CT. Is that too much stretch or no? You see the river tubers blow innertubes up massively, so I woulnd't think that another inch over stock would hurt.

We ALWAYS suggest motorcycle tubes to be used when installing car tires on our rims 100% of the time. We have a lot of guys running the MC tubes with no issues.

........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Cool beans bro, thanx! More money saved! I outran a darksider all day today, but he said he only had 700 miles on it (Altimax). Now to find out if he can actually ride after I get mine mounted. I also got the idea to put clamps all around the bead to pull the tire in. Hoping to make it easier to get on the more narrow rim. Dynabeads are on the local delivery truck, so should see them monday. Old tube has 2 oz already in it.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:36 pm

quadancer wrote:Cool beans bro, thanx! More money saved! I outran a darksider all day today, but he said he only had 700 miles on it (Altimax). Now to find out if he can actually ride after I get mine mounted. I also got the idea to put clamps all around the bead to pull the tire in. Hoping to make it easier to get on the more narrow rim. Dynabeads are on the local delivery truck, so should see them monday. Old tube has 2 oz already in it.

I put 3oz in mine... Works like a charm! cheers
ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:45 am

quadancer wrote:Cool beans bro, thanx! More money saved! I outran a darksider all day today, but he said he only had 700 miles on it (Altimax). Now to find out if he can actually ride after I get mine mounted. I also got the idea to put clamps all around the bead to pull the tire in. Hoping to make it easier to get on the more narrow rim. Dynabeads are on the local delivery truck, so should see them monday. Old tube has 2 oz already in it.

Their site says more than the recomended amount is not a good thing. I would stick with 3 oz. total.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Yeah, I'd planned on just adding one more. I bought six and needed just one - I guess they'll keep or I'll do someone else's bike.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down