Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike

+6
Edgerider
Steve-O
Daniel Meyer
nodakbassmaster
Larry Simpson
Goose
10 posters

Go down

Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike Empty Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike

Post  Goose Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:57 am

Hey Darksiders, I'm am a new member to MCDARKSIDE and have had a CT on my 98 Yamaha RoyalStar TD, But I have since taken it off when I got my 07 Nomad. I am planning on selling the Yamaha and have put 2 new MC tires back on it. I was however somewhat pleased with the CT, but was wondering if anyone has had any long term results of how the CT affects the suspension of the bike? I put about 5to7 K (with a few burnouts) on my CT when I had it on the Yamaha and the tire didn't even show any wear at all. However since, I have put the MC tires back on the Yamaha it seems as if the bike still rides OK. I'm at 8K on the Nomad already (with no burnouts) and I'm in need of rear tire, and was thinking about a CT for the rear. Anyone have any ideas about the best size and handling CT to replace my 170/70-16 rear tire with, and any long term results of how it has affected the suspension of their bike? Thanks [GOOSE] RIDE SAFE & MAY THE LORD BLESS YOU & KEEP YOU!

Last edited by Goose on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Goose
Goose

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-11-17

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike Empty RE LONG TERM RESULTS OF A CAR TIRE ON A BIKE

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:40 pm

Why would a car tire have any negative affect on the suspension ? It is still a tire.It should be easier on all components because it rides softer and smoother.I have only put about 7000 on my CT .I am running goodyear trippletread 205-60-16 on my 05 nomad and love it.RIDE SAFE Larry S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike Empty Re: Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike

Post  nodakbassmaster Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:16 pm

I've read several people approaching 100K on their bikes with CT and no abnormal issues... don't sweat it!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike Empty Re: Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike

Post  Daniel Meyer Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:02 pm

120,000 miles on car tires on my Valk...

Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike Rideitortakeit
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-12-25

http://lifeisaroad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:16 am

Since car tires last longer, you have to pull the tire and grease the splines every 15k. But no long term effects on the suspension.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 am

The reason I had posted the question as(Long term results of a CT on a bike) is I read on another forum that a CT is designed to role down the road in a vertical position, unlike where a MT is designed to lean to make it corner, in the other forum the question was raised that it could cause a bike with a single rear swingarm to wear out the bushings prematurely, however they wasn't sure how it would effect a bike with shocks on both sides of the CT. I did notice when I was riding my Royalstar with the CT on it that the rear tire did want to go straight longer than the front tire did when I was laying it over to make the curves. The CT never did make me feel like I was out of control at anytime, but maybe like a MT that was a little low on air pressure.
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Edgerider Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Hey nodakbassmaster, LOVE the avatar !!! cheers cheers cheers Is that the wife ? lol!
Edgerider
Edgerider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxdavis Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 am

goose put the new tire on and lets ride....
vtxdavis
vtxdavis

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 pm

Hey VTXDAVIS, Who's waiting on who to go riding? geek Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike GOINGDARKSIDEGHANGINGTIRES023-1

Last edited by Goose on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:30 am

Daniel Meyer wrote:120,000 miles on car tires on my Valk...

Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike Rideitortakeit

Love the look of the life is a road....awesome!

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Goose wrote:The reason I had posted the question as(Long term results of a CT on a bike) is I read on another forum that a CT is designed to role down the road in a vertical position, unlike where a MT is designed to lean to make it corner, in the other forum the question was raised that it could cause a bike with a single rear swingarm to wear out the bushings prematurely, however they wasn't sure how it would effect a bike with shocks on both sides of the CT. I did notice when I was riding my Royalstar with the CT on it that the rear tire did want to go straight longer than the front tire did when I was laying it over to make the curves. The CT never did make me feel like I was out of control at anytime, but maybe like a MT that was a little low on air pressure.

I'm sure these folks are well meaning, but the fact is, nobody here has experienced anything like this. Closest thing is wearing out our splines because the tire lasts 30k miles! So you just need to remember to grease them. Your shocks will last longer from reduced bouncing, and your miles between butt fatigue will go up.

Let me know when you sell your royal star. I'm looking for one!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 pm

Hey Steve, its still on the market, asking $6200 for it, its got 47K miles on it, & its a 98 RoyalStarTourDeluxe Black&Grey just put new set of MC tires on it about 1500 miles ago. Here is couple of pictures of it. Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike 1998YamahaRoyalStarTourDeluxe2 Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike 1998YamahaRoyalStarTourDeluxe If you want some more pictures of it I can take some more with my camera those where taken on my phone. I have the rear seat, backrest, luggage rack taken off of it, but they all go with it.
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Long Term Results of a CT on a Bike Empty CT on a 1500 Wig

Post  wfdeals Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm

Hello, can anyone give any details of a CT on a 1500 Gold Wing, size brand, etc.? I am needing to get new tires and want to try the CT, I have found no one running them on a 1500 Wing.

wfdeals

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Goose,
If you don't tell the suspension that it is a car tire, I don't think it will care!!!!!! Really, both tires are round. If anything, the suspension should last longer. as you aren't getting bounced around by the cement tire with 40-42 psi in it. The smoother ride is better for the bike and your behind!!!! JMHO Semper-fi

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:18 pm

wfdeals wrote:Hello, can anyone give any details of a CT on a 1500 Gold Wing, size brand, etc.? I am needing to get new tires and want to try the CT, I have found no one running them on a 1500 Wing.
There you go wfdeals, marine-mp has his tire size & tire pressure on his signature for his GW! [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down