Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New sidecar owner wants to go dark.......

4 posters

Go down

New sidecar owner wants to go dark....... Empty New sidecar owner wants to go dark.......

Post  gothack? Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:42 pm

I just bought a 2004 Goldwing with a Hannigan GTL sidecar attached. I want the longest lasting tires I can get on all 3 wheels. When I get home from this 3,000 mile trip, I'm having the wheels all powder coated and car tires mounted where possible !!!
Suggestions? Makes?/models ?
Thanks !!!
gothack?
gothack?

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

New sidecar owner wants to go dark....... Empty Re: New sidecar owner wants to go dark.......

Post  twin1300 Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:46 pm

We need your current sizes before we can make a suggestion?

...............bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

New sidecar owner wants to go dark....... Empty Re: New sidecar owner wants to go dark.......

Post  gothack? Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Front= Dunlop Elite 3 130/70R18
Rear= Dunlop Elite 3 180/60R16
Sidecar = Nankang 155R12

Also, where do you guys order from on line, or do you just go to the local dealer?

Thanks.
gothack?
gothack?

Back to top Go down

Post  robw Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:57 pm

I have 21,000 on my Continental and it is just about to the wear bars. I am going to put a Kuhmo Ecsta on this weekend. I bought mine at Discount Tire. It would have been a little cheaper buying on line but I like keeping my money local. A local bike shop mounted my tire, off the bike, when i signed a waiver. the first one I took to a local tire shop and told them it was for a trailer.
I don't have any experience with sidecars though.
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  gothack? Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:39 am

Thanks Rob, this gives me a direction. I hope to get some ordered next week. I saw the sizes in your sig, so that helps too !
I'm hoping a couple more guys will chime in as far as brand and mileage gotten.
gothack?
gothack?

Back to top Go down

Post  LeftTenant Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:20 pm

What a timely discussion! I just ground off the MC tires crossing the country with this new-to-me hack with standard triple tree. The TILT lean adjust on the car saved me a bit but I dare not take the hands off the handlebars. Much like my other hack (HD with Calif Friendship III) the asymmetrical rig likes to eat rear bike tires. I believe I'll order up Rob's set for starters and see how that flies.

Next project is the triple tree or Unit Sidecar Leading Link Steering. Any DarkSiders on hacks running leading link?
LeftTenant
LeftTenant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  gothack? Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:16 am

I need to get my tires ordered now. I think I've decided on the following, unless someone chimes in with a better combo or if I'm mixin' and matchin' wrong. Please do advise if you feel I'm making a mistake !!!
These are going on a 2004 Wing with Hannigan sidecar.

Bridgestone Potenza 87H 195/55-16 BACK
Battle Ax BT-45 130/70/18 FRONT
CLASIC LL800 155/80R12 HACK
gothack?
gothack?

Back to top Go down

New sidecar owner wants to go dark....... Empty Darkside Results on large sidecar rig

Post  LeftTenant Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Got right at 9,000 miles on both front (Metz Lasertec counter-rotational sport bike tire) and the Kumho run-flat rear. VERY good for the mountain sidecaring that I do. I've got a stock rear Honda GW tire on now that came with a rear wheel (trike take off) and an OEM front (pressed for time on a long trip). THAT combo has really reduced handling and comfort on the rig. I was in the rain yesterday and the spin-out, side slide, events occur very easily--never with the Darkside solution. Can't wait to wear this stuff out and get back to my Darkside. banghd

[quote="LeftTenant"]What a timely discussion! I just ground off the MC tires crossing the country with this new-to-me hack with standard triple tree.
LeftTenant
LeftTenant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down