Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wich tire prefered?

+4
RIKI
jedishon
DrDanBD
Warlock4
8 posters

Go down

wich tire prefered? Empty wich tire prefered?

Post  Warlock4 Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Sorry, but since the stickys aren't working I have to ask a question that has probably been answered 100 times.
I have a 1300 R..I was getting ready to order the GYTT 205/70/15. Was wondering how people like this one on an R model.
The General Grabber UHP is discontinued. I know alot of guys like that one. Thanks for all replies.
Warlock4
Warlock4

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

wich tire prefered? Empty Re: wich tire prefered?

Post  DrDanBD Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:10 pm

I think that the GYTT and the Hydroedge are the 2 most popular tires

DrDanBD

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:16 pm

No bad reports on it yet. You should be happy with it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

wich tire prefered? Empty General Grabber UHP

Post  RIKI Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm looking at the General Grabber UHP as well, but all the tire places here I will need to order it. Sears has the Hydro Edge in stock, so I might just change my mind.
RIKI
RIKI

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-12-05

Back to top Go down

wich tire prefered? Empty Tire Choice

Post  starider Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:31 pm

I use the Goodyear Assurance High Mileage. The Goodyears cost more but you have to compare to get what you really want. I think the Hydroedge has one of the best looking tread patterns. I suggest you go to Ebay and just type in the tire size on the search bar. Some real nice tires will come up. Most with free shipping.

Last edited by starider on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add more text)
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Griffjag Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:00 am

I have a 1300 R the GYTT 205/70/15 I am also looking at that tire. Have spoken thru PM's with a couple of people on the VTX web site. Now some of my bigger questions.

What tire pressure should I run in this tire?

Where can I get someone to mount this on the bike? Does anyone know anyone in Oklahoma who does this?

I normally change out tires every other year as I will put some milage on them Is this tire saferr for longer or will I need to change it out every couple of years?

And then can I still run the Metz or the Avon on the front?

How do CT handle the real twisties? like Tail of the dragon and other such roads?

Thanks.

Griffjag

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:19 am

Griffjag wrote:I have a 1300 R the GYTT 205/70/15 I am also looking at that tire. Have spoken thru PM's with a couple of people on the VTX web site. Now some of my bigger questions.

What tire pressure should I run in this tire? It vary's between 32 and 42, depending on the type of ride you like. You will need to play with the pressure to find out exactly what you like the best.

Where can I get someone to mount this on the bike? Does anyone know anyone in Oklahoma who does this? I know of some in the Tulsa are, but actually any place that mounts tires should be able to do it for you. Places are more liberal than they were a couple years ago.

I normally change out tires every other year as I will put some milage on them Is this tire saferr for longer or will I need to change it out every couple of years? You should easily get 25,000 miles out of it.

And then can I still run the Metz or the Avon on the front? You can run any front tire. Some put rear mt on the front and get great milage out of them.

How do CT handle the real twisties? like Tail of the dragon and other such roads? Better than a mt after you break it in for a couple hundred miles.

Thanks.

Welcome to the site.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:21 am

I live over in north eastern Oklahoma and found a local small independent m/c shop to mount my ct. Try them first. I have about 10k on mine and it still looks new. Your tire pressure sweet spot is probably some where between 32 - 42psi . Mine is at 38psi. I am running a Metz 880 on the front. As far as riding the dragon you should have no problem scraping your floor boards. Very Happy
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Green Valley Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 pm

I bought a General Grabber UHP from http://discounttires.com/index.php last month. Didn't take very long to recieve it. Get 'em while they've got 'em!
Big Green Valley
Big Green Valley

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-01-03

https://www.youtube.com/user/biggreenvalley?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

wich tire prefered? Empty Which Tire

Post  starider Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Fear not about getting someone to mount your tire. If you can find someone it will be at a small privately owned tire shop. I got a speech from one bike shop about them not wanting to mount the tire due to liability. I asked them if they had any liability at all with any mounted tire and the owner just shrugged. Shocked I mounted my tire myself. It was easy. Breaking the bead on the currently mounted tire may take some effort but installing the new tire is easy. I bought a tire iron from Tractor Supply, soaped up the tires bead real good and I was happily suprised at how easy it slipped onto the rim. I set the wheel on a 5 gallon bucket when I mounted the tire. I didnt have a problem with doing any damage to the rim. After airing up the tire I suspended the wheel between two 5 gallon buckets with a metal tube. I balanced the tire and wheel using the 7 gram stick on wheel weights. You can buy these at Wallmart in the autoparts section. I used 4. 34 PSI is just right and the ride is nice, real nice. My pegs grind the pavement long before the sidewall is used up. Cool
Check out the tires on this 47 Indian Chief
Photobucket" alt="" />
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

wich tire prefered? Empty General Grabber UHP:

Post  RIKI Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:36 am

I decided to get the General Grabber UHP 205/70R15.
wich tire prefered? Darksi10
RIKI
RIKI

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:12 am

RIKI wrote:I decided to get the General Grabber UHP 205/70R15.
wich tire prefered? Darksi10

Good choice. Lots of good reports on that tire. Dont forget to take it easy th first couple hundred miles, to remove any mold release.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down