Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double Darkside

+2
jedishon
daves1300s
6 posters

Go down

Double Darkside Empty Double Darkside

Post  daves1300s Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:46 am

Has anyone tried out double darkside on a 1300s? Just looking for more options for a front tire and on the S model you are really limited to Metz or Duncrap. Avon does not list a 140/80-17 in a front tire (unless I just missed it so far). Right now I have a Metz ME880 but it will need to be replaced in the next 1 to 2 months. I've gotten around 11k out of this tire but I am always looking for ways to extend what I get out of stuff (still staying safe) Does anybody know of any other possibilities out there?

Thanks,
Dave

daves1300s

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Double Darkside Empty Re: Double Darkside

Post  jedishon Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 am

The term double darkside refers to putting a rear mt on the front. A lot of people with bigger cruisers do it. Just make sure you mount the rotation arrow backwards so you dont break the belts under hard braking......

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Double Darkside Empty RE DOUBLE DARKSIDE

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:43 am

Jerry, I have seen this comment before and it absolutely sounds like a wifes tale to me.Tires are built in layers and the dirrectional arrows are consistent with the dirrection of the wrap if you go against the arrows you are consistently riding against the grain ,which in my mind can cause premature seperation.the braking reasoning also makes no sense to me as you also brake with the tire mounted on the rear with the correct rotation.What am I missing Question Question scratch scratch
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:53 am

Smokin'JoeVrcc posted a long conversation with a manufacturer and that was the end result. I know the thread is here somewhere. Something about the belts seperating under heavy breaking is all I really remember. the rear tire puts pressure on during acceleration and the front during braking.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  arch01 Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:00 pm

I have an Avon Roadrider (rear fitment) on my front wheel and it is working great. It is mounted contrary to the directional arrow on the tire, but this is per Avon. When I purchased the tire Avon had recently approved this tire for a front tire application and I was told that the tire would either come with two arrows, or a single arrow. If it had a single arrow I should have it mounted backwards. The end result is that the tread pattern direction points up (from the front of the bike), the same as my dunnie was. And of course if the same tire was mounted on the rear the tread pattern would still point up (from the rear of the bike. It seems to be lasting A-LOT longer than any other front tire I have run. I think this has something to do with the amount of rubber that they put on rear tires versus front tires.

If you think about it, it does make sense that the front tire tread pattern would be opposite from the rear tire. Durring acceleration and forward travel, the rear tire is exerting force (looking at the bike from the left side) in a clockwise direction so its friction direction is towards the rear of the bike. The front tire is having force exerted on it from the front, counterclockwise and therefore its friction direction is towards the front of the bike

Arch01

Interesting enough the guy who mounted the tire, initially backwards in the direction of the arrow, asked me what the difference was when I asked him to re-mount it with the tread pattern pointing in the correct direction. Same shop that told me I was a fool for even considering putting a car tire on my bike. So Car Tires are DANGEROUS, but those pesky directional tread patterns are just for show.

Last edited by arch01 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

arch01

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  daves1300s Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Arch01, which bike do you have that setup on? I have been looking at a Battleax in a 150/70-17 rear tire for the front of my VTX.

Dave

Last edited by daves1300s on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

daves1300s

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  arch01 Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:12 pm

daves1300s,

I've got a 2006 1300R

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/roadrider

arch01

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  dromega Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:35 pm

arch01 wrote:I have an Avon Roadrider (rear fitment) on my front wheel and it is working great. It is mounted contrary to the directional arrow on the tire, but this is per Avon. When I purchased the tire Avon had recently approved this tire for a front tire application and I was told that the tire would either come with two arrows, or a single arrow. If it had a single arrow I should have it mounted backwards. The end result is that the tread pattern direction points up (from the front of the bike), the same as my dunnie was. And of course if the same tire was mounted on the rear the tread pattern would still point up (from the rear of the bike. It seems to be lasting A-LOT longer than any other front tire I have run. I think this has something to do with the amount of rubber that they put on rear tires versus front tires.

If you think about it, it does make sense that the front tire tread pattern would be opposite from the rear tire. Durring acceleration and forward travel, the rear tire is exerting force (looking at the bike from the left side) in a clockwise direction so its friction direction is towards the rear of the bike. The front tire is having force exerted on it from the front, counterclockwise and therefore its friction direction is towards the front of the bike

Arch01

Interesting enough the guy who mounted the tire, initially backwards in the direction of the arrow, asked me what the difference was when I asked him to re-mount it with the tread pattern pointing in the correct direction. Same shop that told me I was a fool for even considering putting a car tire on my bike. So Car Tires are DANGEROUS, but those pesky directional tread patterns are just for show.

Hi!
Help?
My 2007 VTX1800c (130/70 R18 front 180/70 R16 rear) is about to finish its stock Dunnies, and am interested in Double Darksiding (never do things 1/2 way) Shocked
I figure the GYTT 205/60 16 is a safe bet and I like the design of it. Maybe a Potenza grid. Leaning hard toward the GYTT.
It's the front I can't sort out for Double Darksiding. Tire specs say Radial. Does this mean mount a radial rear backwards on front or shift to bias?
Any information would be useful as I am working with supposition and curiousity rather than fact and experience.

Thanks
- dave

dromega

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Double Darkside Empty Double

Post  starider Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:20 pm

I would think that the VTX 1300's front wheel is too narrow to accomadate a car tire. Typical car wheel is 6" wide.
Any one measure thier front wheel? Smile
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down