Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hidden key mod

+3
horseman8m
Larry Simpson
Steve-O
7 posters

Go down

Hidden key mod Empty Hidden key mod

Post  Steve-O Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:19 pm

How to disquise your bike key (not an original idea)

I got tired of fumbling in my pocket for my key, so I decided to conceal my key by making it look like my bike. Only another spirit owner would even know where to look.

I cut down a sink drain plug and glued a key to the back of it. It fits flush to the keyhole. I simpley rotate the chrome to turn the bike on and off.

Do you see the key?
Hidden key mod 1-Where-is-the-key

I had a second key made and used a 98 cent chrome drain plug to glue it to.
Hidden key mod 4-Parts

I cut the key down. This is the trickiest part. Can't be too long or too short.
Hidden key mod 5-cut-key

Cut the plastic off the drain plug. Cut a groove in the back of the drain plug. Pressed the key into the groove. I used JB weld as adhesive.
Hidden key mod 6-Key-Construct

Here is the finished key. I painted the white plastic black. Made a big difference in the final product.
Hidden key mod 7-Key

Here is a side view of the bike with the key inserted.
Hidden key mod 8-See-the-Key

Here is a closer look.
Hidden key mod 9-See-the-Key

This was a first go around or prototype. I was pretty happy with the outcome. I'm not sure how durable this is going to be. "When" I redo it, I think I'll find a chrome nut and glue the key on it. I have a hard time gripping the round piece of chrome to turn the key. But, hey, it looks cool!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Hidden key mod Empty RE HIDDEN KEY MOD

Post  Larry Simpson Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Yea I do, wondered where my stopper went Laughing Laughing
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Hidden key mod Empty Re: Hidden key mod

Post  horseman8m Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 pm

cool , good mod
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:51 am

Another benefit....I keep a spare key taped behind my license plate. If someone found it, they wouldn't know where to put it....

I really like this mod. You have to really LOOK to figure it out....Even if you are a spirit owner, you wouldn't know to rotate this piece of chrome to turn the bike on....

This was done as a prototype. I'm not sure how long it will last. Next time will be much more durable, but I learned a lot about makeing one. Make it flush, paint the inside black to help disquise it further, make it perfectly straight...etc.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:24 am

I would now..............

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:12 am

One guy on the shadow board posted that he did the same thing with a handlebar end. he posted pictures . That looks easier to grip, but maybe a little more obvious. I think it looked like the handlebar end had more torque power though due to being able to cut the threads and insert the key in it.

Great job playing with this Steve! Great idea!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:49 pm

TT:

Gripping is the biggest ding on this design. It IS hard to switch on and off with gloved hands. BUT, it is very hard to spot. I might be able to just rough up the outer edge with a file and fix the grip issue.

I had considered this just a prototype, but it turned out really well. I'll have to pop by Greenville to show it to you.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:47 pm

Steve-O wrote:Another benefit....I keep a spare key taped behind my license plate. If someone found it, they wouldn't know where to put it....

I really like this mod. You have to really LOOK to figure it out....Even if you are a spirit owner, you wouldn't know to rotate this piece of chrome to turn the bike on....

This was done as a prototype. I'm not sure how long it will last. Next time will be much more durable, but I learned a lot about makeing one. Make it flush, paint the inside black to help disquise it further, make it perfectly straight...etc.

Great ,,, Now you are going to have to move your key, everyone knows where it is now.
Very Happy Laughing Smile Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Smile Very Happy Laughing Smile Very Happy Laughing Smile Very Happy Laughing Smile Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Smile Very Happy Laughing
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:05 pm

Great lookin' mod, Steve-O.

I would like to do it on my VLX, but I tend to use the fork lock when I stop most anywhere. Plus, I just moved my helmet lock up to the outside rightside of my luggage rack, so I am using that alot more as well.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:53 am

That looks really slick. The one thing I'd be worried about is the durability of that JB weld with all the vibration. I assume there's still enough key hanging out that you'd have no problem getting it out with some pliars though. Would it be possible to bend the key so that you could anchor the cap with a bolt?

I've been thinking about just running a pushbutton and toggle switch on my bike. I had a car I bought from a junkyard with no keys that I rigged up like that. As long as it isn't obvious where the switch and button are, it's just as secure as a key. Besides, if someone is determined to steal your bike, they're going to get it, regardless of fork locks and ignition switches.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:32 pm

JB weld has held so far. Yes, there is enough key to pull out if the knob falls off.

My next one will have a chome nut like on top of public urinals. Then I'll tig weld the key on.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down