Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proxes 4

+2
horseman8m
dasbrow
6 posters

Go down

Proxes 4 Empty Proxes 4

Post  dasbrow Sat May 09, 2009 11:38 am

Newbie here. Just wanted to share that I just picked up a Toyo Proxes 4 ($74) and went to The Dark Side on my 2002 Goldwing 1800. The tire fits the rim just fine. I used 195/50/16 with 43 lbs pressure. The first test ride around the neighborhood - about 2 miles, was perfect. Of course, the prior set of Dunlops, Elite 3, with which I had no real problem except wobble and a distinct wear on the left hand side, were a mess and anything might have felt good. The front is a Bridgestone 904, I think. Installing the Dark Side tire was a little tricky as it must enter the wheel well at an angle to clear the saddle bag "hump". After that it was a snap. The ride is far better than a bike tire, cornering did not appear to be the least bit of a challenge. I'm an aggressive driver, even at slow speeds, and noticed no real difference in cornering. Traction on dry pavement is, of course, GREAT!! It's the ride that does it for me! Very smooth, quiet, and controled. It does like to go straight but not annoyingly so, reassuringly so! So glad I've got cookies!

About me. Been riding since I was 14, that about 50 years. Had just about everything including the old square tire Harley. This is my second "old man" bike and I really love it for the long hauls. Short hauls I don't do so much any more.

dasbrow

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Proxes 4 Empty Re: Proxes 4

Post  horseman8m Sat May 09, 2009 3:05 pm

welcome to the Darkside
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  dasbrow Sat May 09, 2009 3:17 pm

Thank you. Sorry it took so long to get here.

dasbrow

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 am

Welcome to the darkside. Darkside Rulz!........ Cool

Congrats....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  dasbrow Mon May 11, 2009 1:59 pm

Thank you. Quite glad to have learned a new trick as an old dog. I'm now working with my primary riding buddy to fix up his Vulcan Nomad with Dark Side tires. he'll be very happy with them as he's a bit of a worrier when it comes to rain. He never trusts the tires. I have a feeling he'll trust these!!

dasbrow

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon May 11, 2009 3:54 pm

dasbrow wrote:Thank you. Quite glad to have learned a new trick as an old dog. I'm now working with my primary riding buddy to fix up his Vulcan Nomad with Dark Side tires. he'll be very happy with them as he's a bit of a worrier when it comes to rain. He never trusts the tires. I have a feeling he'll trust these!!

I laugh at the rain now!! I used to fear it with motorcycle tires, but since the darkside...bring it on Mother Nature! I got something for it now!

.......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Proxes 4 Empty re proxes 4

Post  Larry Simpson Mon May 11, 2009 5:37 pm

So I guess you don't have the fear of melting like the rest of us Question Question Razz Razz Razz
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Meteor Mon May 11, 2009 11:39 pm

dasbrow,
43 psi is an awful lot of pressure for that tire. Try 30PSI and see how you like it. Most of us are using 25 to 33 psi in our CT's on the GL1800 and getting excellent mileage, even wear across the tread and a smoother ride as well.
Mad Meteor
Mad Meteor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 am

Larry Simpson wrote:So I guess you don't have the fear of melting like the rest of us Question Question Razz Razz Razz

No...you know the saying....some things float..................... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Proxes 4 Empty Take Care of that Wobble For ya!

Post  titaniumwing Tue May 19, 2009 9:31 pm

Got get a Avon Venom R for the front tire and NO more WOBBLE...Any tire that has grooves that run with tire are going to cup. The Avon has grooves that run acroos the tire and I am on my second one and it's a better ride also! Try it do not think you can go wrong.....Acy
titaniumwing
titaniumwing

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down