Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinion wanted: Meeting other bikes on the road

+3
jedishon
Badmoon
Steve-O
7 posters

Go down

Opinion wanted:  Meeting other bikes on the road Empty Opinion wanted: Meeting other bikes on the road

Post  Steve-O Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:08 pm

I was riding alone last weekend. When I come up on a group of (or single) bike, I will fall in behind for awhile. If we are going the same speed, I'll stay. If they are going to slow, I'll pass. I met a single rider and rode behind him from Tulsa to Durant (OK). We were going at a nice clip, with him leading most of the way. When he exited, he waved.

I was wondering how ya'll felt about lone bikes joining groups, or bikes following you (forming a group).

I think there is a safety benefit, plus if something happens a bike is more likely to stop and help (at least that's what I'm told).

Your thoughts?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Opinion wanted:  Meeting other bikes on the road Empty Re: Opinion wanted: Meeting other bikes on the road

Post  Badmoon Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:38 pm

If I had to answer your question the answer is Yes and No. There are times when I like to ride by myself, but if someone wants to join in that is OK too. The thing that gets to me when riding in a group is that a lot of times if in the back there happens to be sling shot effect. Speeding up and slowing down. If the group that I ride up on is maintaining the speed I will normally join in for the ride, but if they are unable to maintain speed I will get away from them as that is the danger area. But in general I will say this. Riding in a group has lead to some thethe best stories that I can tell. There aint nothing like a group of like minded people getting along. The thing is to ride as often as you can and ride as safe as you can. I love to ride. My problem is I cant get even close to the bike as much as I would like as I work at sea.

Peace and ride safe.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Opinion wanted:  Meeting other bikes on the road Empty Re: Opinion wanted: Meeting other bikes on the road

Post  jedishon Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:44 pm

+1
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  KYVTX1300 Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:27 pm

I like to go the speed limit and watch the road signs for the most part. If I meet someone else that is going the same, be a car or bike I keep up and go with the flow. I have been behind bikes going 10% or more under the speed limit. I usually pass in a safe place.
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2007-12-16

http://www.wccauto.com/gallery/Motorcycle/index.html

Back to top Go down

Opinion wanted:  Meeting other bikes on the road Empty RE OPINION WANTED MEETING OTHER BIKERS

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:27 pm

I AM INCLINED TO RIDE WITH GROUPS AS IT SEEMS SOMEONE IS ALWAYS GETTING PICKED ON (ALOT OF FUN). I PERSONALLY DON'T MIND ANYONE FALLING IN WITH THE GROUP.I MYSELF LIKE YOU HAVE COME UPON OTHER RIDERS ,RODE WITH FOR A WHILE AND MADE NEW FRIENDS.ITHINK THIS IS THE NORM WITH MOST BIKERS .HOWEVER OVER THE YEARS I HAVE RUN ACROSS GROUPS WHERE YOU KNEW REAL QUICK YOU WERE NOT VERY WELCOME. I THINK IF IT FEELS GOOD GO FOR IT.MOST OF OUR BROTHER AND SISTER BIKERS ARE GOOD HEARTED PEOPLE.AND WOULD BE MORE INCLINED TO HELP ANOTHER BIKER.(IT IS JUST A GOOD CROUD TO RUN WITH) LARRY S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  onei Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:37 pm

+1 to Moons reply.

FYI for Larry Simpson - if you don't mind, drop the all caps, some view this as SHOUTING. Laughing
onei
onei

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Opinion wanted:  Meeting other bikes on the road Empty RE OPINIONS WANTED MEETING OTHER BIKES ON THE ROAD

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:36 pm

oops again Laughing never heard that one before .but i don't mind at all just happened to be where computer was set. larry s. bounce bounce bounce bounce
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  onei Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:40 pm

Larry,

I see you are in Okmulgee, OK. I went through a gully washer there last year. I was coming from Tulsa and saw it coming. About 5 miles from town it hit. By the time I made it to the first gas station I was soaked. After it passed I stayed between it and the next band of storms all the way out of OK. Finally at Dallas I pulled over and pulled off my shoes and socks to let them dry out. BTW-I have rain gear now. Laughing
onei
onei

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Opinion wanted:  Meeting other bikes on the road Empty RE OPINIONS WANTED MEETING OTHER BIKES ON THE ROAD

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:53 pm

we seem to be getting more than our share of gully washers the last couple of years .if you are ever back this way give me a pm before and i will give you my ph. no. i am a couple miles west of that station. larry s.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Larry: I was in Muskogee this weekend. Twice! Thursday took 62 to Talequah to Fayetteville. Nice road!
Coming back on Monday, I want from Tulsa to Muskogee then south on 69. You live in a nice riding area.
Small world. This won't be the last time I pass through. I'll pm you next time i'm there.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:26 am

Yeah, for me "it depends" too. Too many factors to discuss, but I'm happy if it works out, O.K. if it doesn't... not like you're going to marry the other biker (very likely).
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down