Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dynabeads

+14
horseman8m
midwestrider
Ghenghisron
spud1800r
vf52rcl
TennX
dirtwarrior
colopaddler
twin1300
jedishon
cannonFL
Steve-O
Clay-san
dsspunkler
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dynabeads - Page 2 Empty Re: Dynabeads

Post  twin1300 Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:59 am

midwestrider wrote:

I'm gonna check with my neighber tonight to see if he's got a bigger compressor and I was also told by a friend to try KY jelly instead of dish soap. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Troy

Don't waste the Kentucky Jelly..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Use cooking oil, it's cheaper and way slicker for beading tires!

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:37 pm

twin1300 wrote:
midwestrider wrote:

I'm gonna check with my neighbor tonight to see if he's got a bigger compressor and I was also told by a friend to try KY jelly instead of dish soap. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Troy

Don't waste the Kentucky Jelly..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Use cooking oil, it's cheaper and way slicker for beading tires!

Troy
your neighbor really likes tires affraid

Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Just_Me69 Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:20 pm

I used that spray silicone we use at the dealer. Also helps with squeaks in door hinges. Doesn't smell too bad either.
Just_Me69
Just_Me69

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  midwestrider Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:34 pm

You guys are funny! Laughing

I was too busy tonight to make it to the neighbors had a church thing and didn't get back home until 9:30pm. Hopefully tomorrow I'll catch him, I'll try the cooking oil and see how that works. It's been a week now that my bike has been down and the forecast is for sunny skies for the next several days. I gotta get this done so I can RIDE!
midwestrider
midwestrider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post  midwestrider Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Well, I tried what was suggested and I still can't get the bead set. I'm gonna call a mechanic friend of mine tomorrow and see if he's got a tire machine in his little service station. I just don't think my compressor can do the job. The neighbor didn't have anything bigger than what I did. He did have a ratcheting strap and I tried that but I was still not successful.

I hope I can get it seated tomorrow so that I can ride it this weekend. Crying or Very sad
midwestrider
midwestrider

Back to top Go down

Dynabeads - Page 2 Empty veggie oil

Post  jc143413 Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:29 pm

horseman8m wrote:
twin1300 wrote:
midwestrider wrote:

I'm gonna check with my neighbor tonight to see if he's got a bigger compressor and I was also told by a friend to try KY jelly instead of dish soap. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Troy

Troy

Horse
Vegetable oil will deteriorate the rubber. Probably not a great idea.

jc143413

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 am

jc143413 wrote:
horseman8m wrote:
twin1300 wrote:
midwestrider wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Troy

Troy

Horse
Vegetable oil will deteriorate the rubber. Probably not a great idea.

No, I don't think so! It's not petroleum based and therefore it will not hurt the rubber!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dynabeads - Page 2 Empty Vegetable oil

Post  jc143413 Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:58 am

It's well established that vegetable oil deteriorates rubber compounds, including tire compounds. This is the reason that a conventional engine cannot be operated on bio diesel. The rubber seals and hoses must be replaced with a non-rubber material. Just google "vegetable oil deteriorates rubber" and do some reading. Veggie oil, not a good idea for rubber tires!

jc143413

Back to top Go down

Post  midwestrider Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:21 am

FYI, I DID NOT try vegetable oil on my tire. I stuck with dish soap.

I call a friend of mine that has an auto shop and he's got a tire machine and is gonna seat the bead for me this afternoon. So, I should be riding by tonight! cheers

I will post a new thread about my installation experience and an initial ride report.
midwestrider
midwestrider

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 am

jc143413 wrote:It's well established that vegetable oil deteriorates rubber compounds, including tire compounds. This is the reason that a conventional engine cannot be operated on bio diesel. The rubber seals and hoses must be replaced with a non-rubber material. Just google "vegetable oil deteriorates rubber" and do some reading. Veggie oil, not a good idea for rubber tires!

check out this web site. http://www.jtmproductsinc.net/murphys_tire_tube_mounting.html .... scratch
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Dynabeads - Page 2 Empty Murphys

Post  jc143413 Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:41 am

I would think that since it states that it is water soluble that would tend to indicate that it is not an oil based product. Vegetable or otherwise. Are you assuming that since it states that it's "vegetable based" that it must be vegetable oil based? Or you simply providing a source of what is probably a very good, non oil based tire lube?

jc143413

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:02 pm

jc143413 wrote:I would think that since it states that it is water soluble that would tend to indicate that it is not an oil based product. Vegetable or otherwise. Are you assuming that since it states that it's "vegetable based" that it must be vegetable oil based? Or you simply providing a source of what is probably a very good, non oil based tire lube?

I understand you concern, but we are not running our tires with vege oil like running it in engines, just using it to seal a rim and it is not going to dissolve or deteriorate the rubber with that little bit.
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dynabeads - Page 2 Empty I'm confused now

Post  jc143413 Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:51 pm

When you first responded to my initial post I was under the impression that you thought that veggie oil would not compromise rubber. Hence your comment : "It's not petroleum based and therefore it will not hurt the rubber!" Now you're implying that since only a small amount is being used that it's still ok. I'm not trying to convince anyone that if you use veggie oil as a lube that their tire will melt off the wheel. What I am attempting to get across to anyone that is considering oil as a lube on a rubber tire is that it WILL deteriorate the rubber. I'm not qualifying that with "how much" or "how long it will take" or that disaster is imminent. What I do hope to get across is that why would you use something that you KNOW will damage your tire, to what ever extent, when there are perfectly acceptable alternatives available, such as your Murphy's, that can be used instead.
I have worked in the pharmaceutical research industry for many years. I am very familiar with the deteriorating effects of oil on rubber and rubber products. ie. using rubber vs vinyl gloves used during certain procedures.
Since we are talking about the seal of the tire, the 3/4" portion of the tire that actually keeps the tire inflated, I would think that most would choose to err on the side of caution rather than assuming that "it's just a small amount".
If you actually accept that damage can occur if rubber is exposed to rubber, why would you continue to promote doing just that? If you don't accept that veggie oil can damage rubber maybe you need to do a little more research. I am not against being proven wrong, I would rather be wrong and proven wrong than continue to live in ignorance.h
Please don't think that this is a slam of any kind. Again, I'm a researcher. The premise of scientific research is to prove your hypothesis wrong and put it up for peer review. You are one of my peers and I appreciate your critique. But when advising someone concerning a real safety factor such as the seal of a tire, then I will always err on the side of caution.

jc143413

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:14 pm

jc143413 wrote:

Please don't think that this is a slam of any kind. Again, I'm a researcher. The premise of scientific research is to prove your hypothesis wrong and put it up for peer review. You are one of my peers and I appreciate your critique. But when advising someone concerning a real safety factor such as the seal of a tire, then I will always err on the side of caution.

I don't think it's a slam and don't consider mine as I think your full of applesauce. It's all good! Can't have too much data! Plus ALL the motorcycle tire manufactures say you can't ride a car tire on a cruiser, so what do I know???????.... Razz

....................bobby

Thanks for the write ups!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dynabeads - Page 2 Empty WHAT!!!!!!!

Post  jc143413 Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:27 pm

We're talking about CAR TIRES here? Are you crazy? Don't you know that you can't run car tires on a motorcycle? Aren't you aware of all of the research that's been done on this very topic. You're going to die a horrible flaming explosive death that will be reported on the evening news! And using oil as a lube on the tires will only feed the flames! See, another reason not to use oil on a tire. And I have not eaten applesauce in weeks.

jc143413

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:32 pm

jc143413 wrote:When you first responded to my initial post I was under the impression that you thought that veggie oil would not compromise rubber. Hence your comment : "It's not petroleum based and therefore it will not hurt the rubber!" Now you're implying that since only a small amount is being used that it's still ok. I'm not trying to convince anyone that if you use veggie oil as a lube that their tire will melt off the wheel. What I am attempting to get across to anyone that is considering oil as a lube on a rubber tire is that it WILL deteriorate the rubber. I'm not qualifying that with "how much" or "how long it will take" or that disaster is imminent. What I do hope to get across is that why would you use something that you KNOW will damage your tire, to what ever extent, when there are perfectly acceptable alternatives available, such as your Murphy's, that can be used instead.
I have worked in the pharmaceutical research industry for many years. I am very familiar with the deteriorating effects of oil on rubber and rubber products. ie. using rubber vs vinyl gloves used during certain procedures.
Since we are talking about the seal of the tire, the 3/4" portion of the tire that actually keeps the tire inflated, I would think that most would choose to err on the side of caution rather than assuming that "it's just a small amount".
If you actually accept that damage can occur if rubber is exposed to rubber, why would you continue to promote doing just that? If you don't accept that veggie oil can damage rubber maybe you need to do a little more research. I am not against being proven wrong, I would rather be wrong and proven wrong than continue to live in ignorance.h

This sounds like a good one .
I'll make three dams using modeling clay on an old tire , one I'll brush on some vegetable oil , next one I'll fill with vegetable oil and the last one I'll fill with the emulsion of vegetable oil dish soap and water like i used on my tire.
I'll let them set for a few days and check to see if any damage is done.
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:42 am

jc143413 wrote:We're talking about CAR TIRES here? Are you crazy? Don't you know that you can't run car tires on a motorcycle? Aren't you aware of all of the research that's been done on this very topic. You're going to die a horrible flaming explosive death that will be reported on the evening news! And using oil as a lube on the tires will only feed the flames! See, another reason not to use oil on a tire. And I have not eaten applesauce in weeks.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Now that's what I am screaming!

Thanks for understanding..............bobby

ps...we do appreciate your input!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:00 pm

This is a good discussion. It's good that we can have differing opinions without getting into a flame war or battle of ego's on this forum.

I, for one, think both of you bring up good points. Now, tossing in some experience into the mix, I've pulled off a couple of tires that were seated using vegetable oil. No sign of deterioration was noted. But I change tires once a year so the tires don't stay on long. That said, I'm going to watch how much vegetable oil I use when I change my tire out next month...and will try to remember to take pictures of the rim contact area when I remove the old tire.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Huzzunga_Din Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:39 am

We were outside on break talking about the CT on motorcycles, and we noted my rear tire is cupping. So I am closer now than I thought to replacing the tire.

As to Dynabeads, is there a transistion point that is noticeable in the balance? Is the balance as good at 15 MPH as 85 MPH?

I was looking around at wheels last night, hoping to see some with hidden balance weight installations as opposed to beat on the edge of the rim. I am sure if they exist, they will be out of my price range anyway.

As to the Air Soft, I would be a bit concerned they will disintgrate of a period of time. Let us know after 1k, 2, 3k or so if they still exist or have turned to dust.

I would also be interested in hearing about the inside of the tire condition from Dynabeads.

Lots more reading ahead for me I can already tell.
Huzz
Huzzunga_Din
Huzzunga_Din

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:44 am

Huzzunga_Din wrote:

As to the Air Soft, I would be a bit concerned they will disintgrate of a period of time. Let us know after 1k, 2, 3k or so if they still exist or have turned to dust.

I would also be interested in hearing about the inside of the tire condition from Dynabeads.

Lots more reading ahead for me I can already tell.
Huzz

Huzz,

Just so you know...I am going to install these air soft in the front tire this week. They are relatively hard and shatter proof. So, I guess I will let you know thousands of miles later. We had a guy on here use zinc plated bb's and they did fine for him. Heck, I know a guy in the tire business from years ago said they used that trick in 18 wheeler tire except they put sand........... Shocked He swore it worked and wouldn't destroy the tire, but I draw my line there in the sand......hehehehe
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Huzzunga_Din Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:07 pm

I like the "line in the sand" lol. I find it all very interesting. The Goodyear TT looked very nice the guy put on over in the VTX Cafe forums. I will watch all this with interest. Still wheel shopping. I saw avery nice wheel on a 2009 VTX 1800 C, about a $750 or so mag. But it does have balance attach holes. No need to beat flanged weights on the edge of the rim. That interests me as well.
Huzz
Huzzunga_Din
Huzzunga_Din

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: