Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!!

+4
twin1300
Badmoon
nodakbassmaster
ScottyATC
8 posters

Go down

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! Empty Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!!

Post  ScottyATC Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:44 pm

And yes....you all were right.....it wasn't a death-defying experience to be on a CT.....even when there were cliffs, no guard rails, and alas for my VTX (Which was starved for oxygen and missfiring something fierce from about 12,000 up to 14,000ft) NO AIR!!!!

We rode to the top of Mt. Evans, Colorado........all in all, about a 250 mile trip today.......what a great ride. Here are a few pics........

I only took road pics on the way down, since the VTX would constantly stall out from lack of oxygen, I could coast while I snapped the pic.

A few from my riding group going around a typical hairpin turn......and yes....I couldn't turn and crashed to my death.

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! Hairpin

Here is my wife riding her VLX along a typical drop-off.

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! Mick

And last but not least.....a pic of us at the top. Enjoy! Very Happy

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! Us
ScottyATC
ScottyATC

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! Empty Re: Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!!

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:27 pm

Sweet! Nice pics! I just took mine up Pikes Peak a couple weeks ago Cool

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! STA71878800x600

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! STA71922800x600

I didn't have any problems with it sputtering or anything though, just less power!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! Empty Re: Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!!

Post  Badmoon Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:43 pm

Man I envy yall. That looks like so much fun. Glad that someone gets to ride. I am still stuck offshore another week or so but It will be on when I get in. Great pictures yall.

Another thing. That is one sweet looking F you got there nodakbassmaster. How do you like them apes?

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:54 pm

So far I like them! I wish I would have gone the next size shorter now for boarderline legality issues after Bad-x got done with my seat I sit lower in it, but other than that it's all good! Cool
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:36 am

Thanks for the pics....Scotty! That's was a fine trip! I would love to make that some day! I appreciate you sharing your pics with us. Darkside RULZ!

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel Meyer Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:33 am

Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! Mountevans1

Been there myself. Fun trip!

There is the best pizza I've ever eaten...hands down...in Idaho Springs at the bottom...I hope you got some! BeauJos
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-12-25

http://lifeisaroad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 am

Nice pics Scotty....To bad about crashing and dieing a firey death..Thats gotta hurt...
Looks like it was a fun ride...

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppawolf Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:40 pm

I remeber going up there in a car and was scared shirtless, and I was driving. I could only spend a few minutes outside because it was also very cold and extremely windy. That would have been fine in December but we went on July 3rd! Great pics, brings back good memories.

DB
Poppawolf
Poppawolf

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  greyboyfan Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:Amazing.....I survived my first Darkside trip up a 14,000 foot mountain!!!! Mountevans1

Been there myself. Fun trip!

There is the best pizza I've ever eaten...hands down...in Idaho Springs at the bottom...I hope you got some! BeauJos

We rode on west of IdahoSpgs, a few miles and then turned right and over Berthoud Pass thru WinterPark (where theres some mighty good eatin') and on up to my brothers place in GrandLake. I wish there was some way to install an O2 bottle that would make My VTX run worth a dang above 8000 ft. Maybe a SuperCharger??? Yeah! Twisted Evil
Without one, theres no way I could think about going up Pikes Peak. Smile
greyboyfan
greyboyfan

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:06 am

I don't know why you couldn't make pikes peak without any extra help (at least in an 1800) I went up with two other bikes (both fuel injected) and all three of ours made it fine. There was a noticeable power drop, but that was it, started and idled fine. 1 Harley, one yamaha 1100 and my 1800...
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:14 am

nodakbassmaster wrote:I don't know why you couldn't make pikes peak without any extra help (at least in an 1800) I went up with two other bikes (both fuel injected) and all three of ours made it fine. There was a noticeable power drop, but that was it, started and idled fine. 1 Harley, one yamaha 1100 and my 1800...

Magic words.....Fuel injected....
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel Meyer Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 am

I've been up pikes peak on my Valk a number of times. Other machines too...they'll make it.
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-12-25

http://lifeisaroad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottyATC Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:46 pm

We had a couple of harleys in the group, a Valk, my wife's VLX and a Vstar........mine was the only one that was having troubles.......but mine tends to run pretty rich, so maybe that was the problem.........possibly a little fouling in the plugs. confused

We opted to skip Beaujos this time around at Idaho Springs.....we usually stop there after a day of snow-boarding. We went to Tommy Knockers instead.

After Mt. Evans, we continued our trip on the peak to peak highway through Estes Park and finally home.

Thinking about it makes me want to head up into the hills again, right now!!!! What a Face
ScottyATC
ScottyATC

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum