Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone modified their stock seat!

+4
Badmoon
grizak
jedishon
twin1300
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Has anyone modified their stock seat! Empty Has anyone modified their stock seat!

Post  twin1300 Thu May 01, 2008 12:48 pm

I still have the stock seat, but mine is softer than most! I like everything about it except one thing, the back where my tailbone is located is too high. Tanglefoot and I are going to shave it down in the rear to rotate my hips a little backward for better long traveling.

I know that Insp#484 is doing one, but I could use your advice if any! Muntz and Unca Jerr.....I said advice, not slander!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

..............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Has anyone modified their stock seat! Empty Re: Has anyone modified their stock seat!

Post  jedishon Thu May 01, 2008 1:14 pm

You want advice.... I'll give you advice........
Listen to Uncle Jerr...
Listen to Uncle Jerr....

You are getting sleepy......
You will listen to my voice only.......
Now wake up and go riding........

here is an 1800 mod
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=234880
this ones better its for a 1300
http://crapmods.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2932

Uncle Jerr
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Has anyone modified their stock seat! Empty Re: Has anyone modified their stock seat!

Post  twin1300 Thu May 01, 2008 2:46 pm

Man.........I am getting sleepy reading this post......... :cyclops:

Thanks Unca' Jerr............the links were great!

..............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Thu May 01, 2008 3:27 pm

twin1300 wrote:I still have the stock seat, but mine is softer than most! I like everything about it except one thing, the back where my tailbone is located is too high. Tanglefoot and I are going to shave it down in the rear to rotate my hips a little backward for better long traveling.

I know that Insp#484 is doing one, but I could use your advice if any! Muntz and Unca Jerr.....I said advice, not slander!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

..............bobby

I did mine not too long ago I found a hacksaw blade. and a hole saw The cheap 2$ one from wallmart. works great... Good luck...Griz Very Happy
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Thu May 01, 2008 5:17 pm

I have the mean city seat mod done before the Mustang seat was ordered. Now I have both seats. The guy asked me about height weight and a few other guestions. I know that it has memory foam in it and is very comfortable.
I say give it a shot and see what happens. What is the worse that can happen? If it works for you you did good, if it doesn't you can always send it to Mean City Cycles and have them do it. Or option #3 is buy the mustang or another seat. Either way you butt will love you for it.
I cant believe that you are still sitting on the factory seat after all those miles. You back end must be a feak of nature. I put less than 500 miles on my bike before I realized that it had to go.

Best o luck with yours
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu May 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Badmoon wrote:I have the mean city seat mod done before the Mustang seat was ordered. Now I have both seats. The guy asked me about height weight and a few other guestions. I know that it has memory foam in it and is very comfortable.
I say give it a shot and see what happens. What is the worse that can happen? If it works for you you did good, if it doesn't you can always send it to Mean City Cycles and have them do it. Or option #3 is buy the mustang or another seat. Either way you butt will love you for it.
I cant believe that you are still sitting on the factory seat after all those miles. You back end must be a feak of nature. I put less than 500 miles on my bike before I realized that it had to go.

Best o luck with yours
Moon

Well Moon ya met him for yourself. Shocked

Twin....do your butt a favor....buy it an ultimate!!! Twisted Evil
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Fri May 02, 2008 6:42 am

i did mine before i bought my mustang seats. i took the cover off, got a electric knife (ham knife) and cut out a pocket in the bottom leaving about 3/4" or so of material on top.. then i had some memory foam left over from my bed and put 2 layers of it in the pocket. i then put it back together with a heavy duty t5 stapler. there was a huge difference in comfort. i also did the old ladies seat. both seat were pretty comfortable compared to stock. i bought the mustangs because i like to spend money. the old lady likes the mustang a lot better (wider). i actually liked my modded seats position better than the mustang but there is something about the mustangs comfort that my modded seat didnt have. so if you are going to shave off a little on top, while you are at it, take someout of the bottom and put some foam in there. you wont regret it. later

Hudi

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Fri May 02, 2008 8:03 am

Muntz wrote:
Badmoon wrote:I have the mean city seat mod done before the Mustang seat was ordered. Now I have both seats. The guy asked me about height weight and a few other guestions. I know that it has memory foam in it and is very comfortable.

Best o luck with yours
Moon

Well Moon ya met him for yourself. Shocked

Twin....do your butt a favor....buy it an ultimate!!! Twisted Evil

I do agree with ya. The aftermarket seat is what I ride on. I wish my seat would fit on your bike Twin would love to give you a deal. It just is sitting in bubble wrap and in the mustang box on the shelf.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri May 02, 2008 8:43 am

I've got an extra seat. I"m going to modify one of them this summer. Going to make the drivers seat more comfy, and thin down the pillion to just a sliver and see what it looks like. This will be my summer ride. But it's a couple months away. There are kits for sale on ebay with the memory foam and gel packs. Here is a link that David sent me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pro-Pad-Large-gel-pad-Installation-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ35557QQihZ008QQitemZ180225839944

Kind of pricey at $100. wish I could find a piece of gel and memory foam elsewhere for cheaper.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri May 02, 2008 9:18 am

Steve-O wrote:I've got an extra seat. I"m going to modify one of them this summer. Going to make the drivers seat more comfy, and thin down the pillion to just a sliver and see what it looks like. This will be my summer ride. But it's a couple months away. There are kits for sale on ebay with the memory foam and gel packs. Here is a link that David sent me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pro-Pad-Large-gel-pad-Installation-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ35557QQihZ008QQitemZ180225839944

Kind of pricey at $100. wish I could find a piece of gel and memory foam elsewhere for cheaper.

Here is one ... http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm
Heres another... http://www.carolinabuttbuffer.com/ ....
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri May 02, 2008 10:18 am

twin1300 wrote:I still have the stock seat, but mine is softer than most! I like everything about it except one thing, the back where my tailbone is located is too high. Tanglefoot and I are going to shave it down in the rear to rotate my hips a little backward for better long traveling.

..............bobby

Was that slanderous, are you picking on me... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
dont care....see the above post for foam and gel pads......Mr Twin....

Uncle jerr
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 02, 2008 2:27 pm

Thanks guys for the help and advice. I'm on it!

.....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxjosh Sun May 04, 2008 9:07 am

The seat in my sig is my stock seat. I pulled the foam of and recovered it completely in memory foam. It's pretty comfotable.
vtxjosh
vtxjosh

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun May 04, 2008 9:46 am

vtxjosh wrote:The seat in my sig is my stock seat. I pulled the foam of and recovered it completely in memory foam. It's pretty comfotable.

Why did you choose memory foam over gel pads? i'm told the memory foam compresses too much and ends up not cusioning. But that was one opinion and am interested in your experience.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxjosh Sun May 04, 2008 10:46 pm

Steve-O wrote:
vtxjosh wrote:The seat in my sig is my stock seat. I pulled the foam of and recovered it completely in memory foam. It's pretty comfotable.

Why did you choose memory foam over gel pads? i'm told the memory foam compresses too much and ends up not cusioning. But that was one opinion and am interested in your experience.
I chose memory foam because it was more accesible for me. The nice thing about the foam is it conforms to your shape while you sit on it. Here are some more pics of my seat.Has anyone modified their stock seat! IMG_0145
Has anyone modified their stock seat! IMG_0199

Here is a seat that I just recovered but everyone tells me they like the other one better.Has anyone modified their stock seat! IMG_0401
vtxjosh
vtxjosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon May 05, 2008 7:38 am

Seat or seats? Can't see the top one, but the lower three look like three different seats.

Did you put the memory foam all over, or just under the tail bones? How thick of foam did you use?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon May 05, 2008 7:56 am

Josh,

WOW!!!!!! Nice job on the seats....both of them! I like the second myself!

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxjosh Mon May 05, 2008 10:05 am

Steve-O wrote:Seat or seats? Can't see the top one, but the lower three look like three different seats.

Did you put the memory foam all over, or just under the tail bones? How thick of foam did you use?

The only seat that is different is the one with the Ford Explorer behind it. The gator skin seat has about 5 or 6 inches of memory foam that I got out of a Serta pillow. The tail bone just has some generic foam on it because you don't sit on that part anyways.
vtxjosh
vtxjosh

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxjosh Mon May 05, 2008 10:06 am

twin1300 wrote:Josh,

WOW!!!!!! Nice job on the seats....both of them! I like the second myself!

.................bobby

Thanks man! Good luck on yours! Very Happy
vtxjosh
vtxjosh

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue May 06, 2008 8:08 am

Thanks every one for your advice.

Me and Tanglefoot are going to cut my seat and fit it Friday nite and then have his son staple it Saturday at the upholstery shop his son works at. I will take pics for you guys.

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 09, 2008 8:22 am

Tanglefoot brought me all the tools I need to cut down my seat! We are going to bring it into submission tonite and make a great traveling seat out of it. I have the extra foam already waiting.

I will let you know how it turns out on Monday! I will try to remember to do the pics.

..............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri May 09, 2008 10:08 am

twin1300 wrote:Tanglefoot brought me all the tools I need to cut down my seat! We are going to bring it into submission tonite and make a great traveling seat out of it. I have the extra foam already waiting.

I will let you know how it turns out on Monday! I will try to remember to do the pics.

..............bobby

Words mean nothing without pictures to back it up..... Laughing Laughing

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 09, 2008 10:13 am

I know....I know...... NO PIC = NO SEAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Just like NO PAGE COUNT = NO 99 PAGE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

...........bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri May 09, 2008 10:43 am

twin1300 wrote:I know....I know...... NO PIC = NO SEAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Just like NO PAGE COUNT = NO 99 PAGE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

...........bobby

Muntz said it was all my fault....Thanks for getting my back....all full of blood... Laughing Laughing
Actually I think it was some super secret spy sent from a jealous site.....
Or could it have been some moderator that didn't want us to make it scratch scratch
I wonder.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 09, 2008 11:31 am

jedishon wrote:
twin1300 wrote:I know....I know...... NO PIC = NO SEAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Just like NO PAGE COUNT = NO 99 PAGE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

...........bobby

Muntz said it was all my fault....Thanks for getting my back....all full of blood... Laughing Laughing
Actually I think it was some super secret spy sent from a jealous site.....
Or could it have been some moderator that didn't want us to make it scratch scratch
I wonder.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Jerry

hhmmmmmm (think......think.........think....scratch )Nope, All the moderators were on the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next