Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've been thinking....

+2
twin1300
gstanfield
6 posters

Go down

I've been thinking.... Empty I've been thinking....

Post  gstanfield Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:12 pm

Yes, I realise the dangers involved in me thinking, however! I am a machinest and if I found an aluminum 16" wheel cheap enough (brand doesn't matter) I could machine off the rim of my stock 1300 wheel and machine out the center of the 16" wheel and weld them together to make me a 16"X6" wheel on the cheap for a matter of a hundred bucks or so and then go with some wider tires, or something.

Not really pursuing any specific size or even sure I want to do this, but has anyone heard of this being done before?????

Just an idea.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

I've been thinking.... Empty Re: I've been thinking....

Post  twin1300 Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:16 pm

George,

A man is only limited by his ability to think or dream. Necessity is the Mother of Invention. I think outside the box myself, so I try not to kill someone ideas. So, do your homework, work out the problems and maybe we will know someone who came up with his own business that no one else has.

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:18 pm

You can pick up aluminum wheels cheap at a junk yard .... but finding one that the spokes are in the center of it could be a problem.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Spokes woudl not be an issue with 16" at all, as I would be machining out the entire center section and only using the rim itself which would measure close enough that I'd just have to trim off most of the stock rim and have a nice tight surface where the new rim would be press fit (about .005" or so) on the rimless wheel then get it all lined up perfet and TIG it together nice and heavy, machine down the TIG wled to smooth for cosmetics and RIDE!!

Might be a cheap way to craft my own 240 kit, I think I could make it all work out with a little research and planning, but then again I really don't want a 240 rear so I guess this is all an exercise in what if....

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:49 am

Could you weld the center of a bike rim to the outer of a car rim......make it easier to go Wideside.... cheers cheers

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:52 am

jedishon wrote:Could you weld the center of a bike rim to the outer of a car rim......make it easier to go Wideside.... cheers cheers

Jerry

Thats exactly what he is gonna do Jerry. Well what he is talking himself out of doing Laughing He says he dont want it now but I am betting come next winter when he tears it down for another paint job he will be trying it Shocked

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:18 pm

My brain aint working yet.....laid tile from 10 AM to 10:30 PM yesterday...trying to get the kitchen done.
So maybe......just maybe......

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:21 pm

Hey now...............SANITY is not an option here.......................................just remember who you're talking to and you'll see why Shocked Shocked Shocked
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon May 19, 2008 9:05 pm

gstanfield wrote:Yes, I realise the dangers involved in me thinking, however! I am a machinest and if I found an aluminum 16" wheel cheap enough (brand doesn't matter) I could machine off the rim of my stock 1300 wheel and machine out the center of the 16" wheel and weld them together to make me a 16"X6" wheel on the cheap for a matter of a hundred bucks or so and then go with some wider tires, or something.

Not really pursuing any specific size or even sure I want to do this, but has anyone heard of this being done before?????

Just an idea.

George

just remember most after market aluminum rims have a high MAGNESIUM content. just check before you go to weld them. and let me know if you go through with this , it sounds like something i would have come up with , lol . your friend , Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down