Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bad luck

3 posters

Go down

bad luck Empty bad luck

Post  lj birdman Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:03 pm

well I tried 3m 5200 quick set.says it cures in 24 hours Very Happy  don't do it it creates big air bubbles  Mad  so I thought I put it on to thick hmmm  took it off and tried it at thinner coats . nope bubbled again Mad  so went back to a tube will try next time..but my new tire looks nice Very Happy 
lj birdman
lj birdman

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

bad luck Empty Re: bad luck

Post  Beermand Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Sorry to hear that. I have done 5 rims now with no problems, but I have a friend who had his leak also. It is important to clean the rim good then scuff it up a little. I always coat every nipple of the spoke individually let that sit overnight then I put an even coat on all around the rim. Usually 1 tube of the 5200 and I have used both the fast cure and the regular cure. Usually wait about 3 or 4 days after I seal the rim to mount the tire. Never had a leak or failure. Here is a link to the first ones I did if it helps next time. I just followed Waynes instructions pretty much.

This is how I did it and most of the guy's I ride with are also darksiders.

http://www.lakestockton.com/read.php?75,85210
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:23 pm

I did a front before getting my Fatboy wheels. I had zero bubbles, but being rushed to make a run, I didn't give it the full 7 days cure time, and one spoke leaked air.
That said, it turns into rubber very reminiscient of tire rubber, only white. Others had no problems and I would have succeeded with more cure time. Also, some that
dripped onto my workbench took a hammer and chisel to remove. Incredible stuff.
Will sell that wheel, but how everf can you adjust the spoke tension after using it? I suspect the bubbles were a result of some contaminant on the rim, like silicone
or something. (silicone being the usual tire shine component)
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  lj birdman Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:15 am

sorry I failed 2 mention the 5200 is what had air bubbles. it was stuck to rim below after it hardend but had air bubbles every few inches . I was worried it might leak . after fighting to get the last ct off the rim I just put a new tube in it.i leave the sealer in the rim
lj birdman
lj birdman

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down