Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2009 Vulcan 900 Ready for the Darkside

3 posters

Go down

2009 Vulcan 900 Ready for the Darkside Empty 2009 Vulcan 900 Ready for the Darkside

Post  EvilJesus Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Hello everyone!

I had been toying with the idea of going to the darkside for a couple years now, and I think I am ready for it!

Any help would be appreciated:

I have a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
Front Tire: Metzeler ME 880 Marathon (Front, MH90-21, Bias Ply, Tubeless, Blackwall, 54, H)
Rear Tire: Pirelli MT 66 Route (Rear, 180/70-15, Bias Ply, Tubeless, Blackwall, 76, H)

Setup
I have the Baron's Rear lowering kit (set at the lowest point) and progressive springs in the front. I usually ride 2 UP and go on long rides.

Questions
1) How do car tires handle speed, traction and CORNERING (very important cornering)
2) Is there ANYONE in the Riverside, CA area that would mount/balance these on an MC rim
3) Any other special notes I need to remember before I go for it?

Thanks for all the help guys!

EJ

EvilJesus

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

2009 Vulcan 900 Ready for the Darkside Empty Re: 2009 Vulcan 900 Ready for the Darkside

Post  Fly Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:14 am

Since I ride a 2007 900C with a car tire, I'll chime in here. Longest trip was from Iowa to N. Carolina during a very hot spell. Although I tried to stay on 2 lanes as much as possible, interstates just can't be completely avoided. The car tire, Vredestien Comtrac tire 175 75 R 16 runs cooler than a bike tire, even in heat above 100 F. It's a bit larger in diameter than bike tires, so RPMs were slightly lower. But, to be honest, the 900 without better gearing, is not a great bike for long distance, interstate, high temp riding, especially since I tend to ride a bit faster than listed speed and ride during the heat of the day as well as at night.

The 900C is a great bike for canyon carving and the tight twisties of 'Tale of the Dragon', and the car tire does as well as any bike tire I've ridden, and I do ride hard on corners, cause that's why bikes were invented. Very Happy

I don't know if the lowering kit you've got will affect clearance or not. Since at 70, I still mount and balance all my tires, I'd suggest you might try that yourself. It only requires a bit of floor space and a few hand tools. Balancing is as easy as putting the axle through the rim and putting on 2 jack stands. The bearings allow for very good balancing and you can purchase weights on-line if you can't get a local tire place to sell you any.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

2009 Vulcan 900 Ready for the Darkside Empty Re: 2009 Vulcan 900 Ready for the Darkside

Post  Guest Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:25 am

I would really like to see a pic of these bikes. I might be trading for a 900 and going darkside would be a strong consideration for the bike. If you can't post one here, send me a pic to zedekiahp@sbcglobal.net thanks.

Dino

Back to top Go down

Post  wildbillpookers Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:38 am

Here are some pics of my 1600 Nomad and my wife's 900 Classic.

https://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/pooker_langton/Dark%20Side/

wildbillpookers

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down