Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another transmission bites the dust

2 posters

Go down

Another transmission bites the dust Empty Another transmission bites the dust

Post  smokey2255 Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:59 am

I bought my 07 21 months ago with 3,032 miles on it. Today with 54k on the clock my transmission gave up the ghost.
On my adventure last night as I was rolling through a set of S sweepers in 5th gear, rolling on the throttle a tad the tranny went chachunk. Pretty unnerving with it stretched out to have the drive train make such a dramatic feeling change on me. It repeated the same action in the second sweeper to the set of S turns.

It has been doing this 5th gear chachunk on rare occasions for some time but has never been predictably repeatable. It has also been doing the phantom shift from the very beginning when I bought it. Again never predictably repeatable more of a surprise and always when I wanted it to happen least .

Once I got it on the straight away i decided to play with it to see if it would repeat in a straight line run. Every time I rolled on the throttle while in 5th gear it indeed repeated itself. I finished my erronds and headed home somewhat uneventfully.

Today I headed out on a short run to talk to a bike mechanic buddy about the scoot. As soon as I down shifted into first rolling to a stop I got a new response from the bike. It sounded like a tin can of steel ball bearings rattling. As I progressed through the gears into fifth I got the same sound in fifth gear. I finished my run using 2nd through 4th.

Tomorrow the search for an experienced shop with a quick turn around time will commence.

Y'all enjoy your ride time. I will be off the wing for a while. Time to knock the dust off one of the other scoots and remember why I don't ride them anymore.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Another transmission bites the dust Empty Re: Another transmission bites the dust

Post  smokey2255 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:03 pm

This actually happened Sunday, on Monday I took it to the stealer to get the repairs started. I am so glad I have the extended warranty. Also glad it happened now instead of after the warranty expires at the end of August.
I also stopped at a buddies bike shop and borrowed an 07 Yamaha FJR 1300 with 15k on the clock. I get to ride it until I get mine back or until I sell it for him Smile It sure is nice to have friends in all the right places. Although the FJR is not in the same class as the wing, it is fun to ride.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Another transmission bites the dust Empty Re: Another transmission bites the dust

Post  robw Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 pm

my 07 has done it twice in the last several months. I guess until it does it more often I can't expect the dealer to be able to do anything about it. Hopefully if it does go it will be while my extended warranty is still good.
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:25 am

Rob, take it in now and get it on paper that you are having this issue. if your service manager gives you any grief tell him to just file your complaint with Honda and to check his service bulletins. This is getting to be a more common occurrence than you would think. Then this fall after the riding season you can schedule to have repairs done. It will be worse by then if you do much riding at all. Even if it is not a lot worse tell them it is and make them fix it before it detonates your tranny and causes collateral damage.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  robw Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:18 pm

I talked with him but don't know if he documented. I'll ask tomorrow.

THANKS
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down