Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reverse tire direction

+3
Kalten
Doc
maurice
7 posters

Go down

reverse tire direction Empty reverse tire direction

Post  maurice Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:17 am

Has anyone noticed if putting rear mt tire on front with direction of the arrow cause bike to not be as balanced? Wondered if changing it to opposite direction of arrow would have an effect. thanks

maurice
maurice
maurice

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

reverse tire direction Empty Re: reverse tire direction

Post  Doc Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:48 am

It shouldn't matter, just be sure the balance dot is lined up with the valve stem.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  maurice Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:37 am

00 Doc wrote:It shouldn't matter, just be sure the balance dot is lined up with the valve stem.

thanks. That's what I'm thinking but thought i'd ask.

maurice
maurice
maurice

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalten Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:04 pm

from the metzeler FAQ

"#3 Rear tires can be mounted at front wheels?

One should never run a tire backwards. The exception to this rule is if the tire is marked (at the sidewall arrow) as a dual rotation tire. Tires have a tread pattern and tread cap (compound) orientation that is important to the tire's performance.
One should note that the construction differences between a front and rear tire are different in material, shape, and compound so this too could have a negative effect on the performance of the bike. The last thing to look at is the possibility of uneven wear when the tire is used backwards"
Kalten
Kalten

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Back to top Go down

reverse tire direction Empty Avon recommends against mounting rear on front, but explains why backwards

Post  Big Blue Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Similar thread on the VTXOA. I sent a message to Avon asking for their official position with respect to mounting a rear motorcycle tire backwards on the front wheel. Here is the link to their response (http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?322377-Is-there-a-difference-in-front-and-rear-tires&p=3452948&viewfull=1#post3452948)

Higher in the thread there is a quote from Metzler.

Big Blue

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:34 am

Link doesn't work, even when copy and pasted.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:43 am

Try this...

www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?322377-Is-there-a-difference-in-front-and-rear-tires&p=3452948&viewfull=1#post3452948
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 am

I see. As usual, no definitive answer, but for us, the masses speak louder than engineers. Imagine what WD40 would be if it weren't for experimenting.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm

My personal opinion is that this is a moot question.
The way tires are over-engineered now a days, they are strong enough to run in either direction.
And, as long as the tire has tread depth it will push water out. hmmm
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:29 pm

I think there would be a definite difference in a tread between pushing water into a dead end, or and open channel. So some tires
would have a problem running backwards, the water having nowhere to go except...under the tire contact area. That, in turn,
would create lift, or hydroplaning.
However, no one has seemed to report this happening, but again, few ride in the rain. You have to read 20 tire reviews to get one
guy who talks about wet traction. So I would rather err on the side of caution and run them forwards as designed. I doubt, same as
you, that the carcasses are so weak that it matters wether they are pushing or braking. And consider also that the rears are doing
both.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Not sure I follow your logic Quad...
How does a tread sipe become a dead end just by the change in rotation of the tire?
The sipe doesn't collapse does it?
They are always open towards the side aren't they?
Water will follow the path of least resistance and I just can't see how that would be under the tire contact area.

I think the difference would be, a tire mounted backwards, water would be squeezed in a direction to the side and a little towards the direction of travel as opposed to a tire mounted in the regular direction of travel where water is directed to the side and a little behind the direction of travel.

Does this make any difference? I dunno... Shrug
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

reverse tire direction Empty re reverse tire dirrection

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 pm

I can see where a dirrectional tread would appear to push water inwards when mounted in reverse dirrection because the outside edges would contact the water first .Looks to me like it could possibly happen but wouldn't be a problem for me as I never did buy the reverse dirrection theory to start with. thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:14 pm

What Larry said.
Like the Shinko I just put on the front, as on many, the grooves form a "V", with the point of the V hitting the pavement first.
1.) As the tire is pushing water, a certain mass of liquid is rolling forward, but not all of it.
Water flows from the center out in the groove as the tire rolls forward, exiting the open end.

Reversed, the open ends would touch down first, and the DIRECTION of the groove is now from outside to inside, terminating in a closed end.
2.) As the tire is pushing water, a certain mass of liquid is not rolling just forward, but inward with no place to go, and liquids do not compress, therefore
something (the tire) must give.

This is why they do computer models and Goodyear rolls 'em on glass for ya. I think the saving grace on bikes is the narrower tire up front and the fact that
few riders ever see rain. Unless of course, they're Darksiders, but we ain't got no sense...
Hope that clears up my thinking atcha.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  swsvending Fri May 18, 2012 12:23 pm

I have a friend that put a reversed sport bike tire on front and loves it. His bike is a 1999 Suzuki with a CT on back. I have a 1800F and wonder has anyone tried this on a F or a C.
swsvending
swsvending

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down