Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........

+4
jedishon
twin1300
nodakbassmaster
horseman8m
8 posters

Go down

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ Empty MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........

Post  horseman8m Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:20 am

"Please Read The Disclaimer"

I was looking for a handlebar mount that I could use on a lot of things , like a camera , adding a switchbox, a gps, a tachometer
or just about anything you could think of that you would want on your bars. well there was not a single mount that is made to do all that , mater of fact each item had its own mount you could by for $40.00 to $60.00 , ouch .
ON with the hunt , you see i am an avid hunter and was a gunsmith, so why not use 1" scope rings around the handlebars and the bases as the mount bracket to whatever you want to mount. they are good looking , cheap $6.00 for two rings and $5.00 for two bases and if you look on ebay you might find them cheaper, and best of all they are universal, you can mount anything on your bars and it looks good.

I like the weaver mounts (cheap and very strong)

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ P2260056

Drill 1/4" hole in the base

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ P2260060

(NOTE: i like to use stainless steel bolts these are license plate bolts from wal=mart 4 for 1.87 w/ nuts)

Grind the head of a 1/4" bolt to make it flatter and two side to fit in the channel of the base. make sure that the top of the head of the bolt is below the top or the mount flats and doesn't block the notches of the base as this will keep the rings from seating . now a flat washer and nut and tighten .

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ P2260063

screw the bracket to the bottom of your cam (tach.. whatever) add washers to make it 90 degrees from the way you want it to face .

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ P2260066

your rings came with an allen wrench so take out the screws and mount the rings to the handlebars where you want it and tighten the ring to the bars then loosen the big slotted nut on the ring and place the base/bracket and tighten the slotted nut. now adjust the rings with the allen wrench to get the view you want or where you want it.

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ P2260072

In the picture below if you look close near the left clutch bracket you will see a mount painted with chrome paint and a switchbox for my aug. lights.

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ Mounts-both

cost 1.87 bolts 4 ea
6.00 rings 2 ea
5.00 bases 2 ea
-------------------------
12.87 two sets

drive safe , your friend , Jonathan (Horse)

Last edited by horseman8m on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ Empty Re: MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........

Post  nodakbassmaster Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:09 am

very clever!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ Empty Re: MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........

Post  twin1300 Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:39 am

horseman8m,

You are the bomb......Awesome idea!

Are you sure you want to be a darksider????? You are so smart, that it seems hard that we could fool you that the cart tire will work........ Laughing Laughing Laughing

NO, really!!!! Neat idea for holding stuff to the bars.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:27 am

Good way to mount a camera.
Now if I could only get down South and join up with SmokinJoe.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:00 pm

Wonderful idea. I'm huge into shooting (comeptition and hunting) reload many thousand rounds a year as well as do some gunsmithing (machinest by trade) I also just happen to have several spare rings and mounts around, including a few almuminum anodized silver ones. You just gave me the idea for how to mount my camera to the bike.

Thanks,
George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

MOUNT for tachometer, gps, camera, switchbox ........ Empty THAT WAS AWESOME!

Post  WacoBill Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:30 am

Honestly! Within just a few words I began to see what you were doing, and I felt like that kid on the tricycle in the movie "The Incredibles".

This is one of the best "cheap mod" ideas I have seen since duct tape!

Given the different scope ring sizes available, you may have just solved a multitude of issues for me - like a cheap side mount license plate (I'll use two sets of rings and bases).

THANKS!
WacoBill
WacoBill

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:15 am

My kids call me MacGyver, I think I am going to compete for that title with you Bill,, excellent idea, don't shoot but hunt with a Bow.. The range I go to has a full line of guns. I am going to pick up a couple of mounts. Thanks, CLIFF
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:15 am

Ok guys, Yes I live in Texas but I don't know anything about guns, other than this, "guns don't kill people, people kill people".
But................. Can someone explain how this works? Since I don't know what these rings look like or how they function and the pictures are really hard to discern what is going on. HELP!

Thanks.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down