Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exhaust studs

4 posters

Go down

exhaust studs Empty exhaust studs

Post  Hudi Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:50 am

i just took my bike all apart to do some mods, file the fins, paint the engine, valve check etc. when i took off my pipes the manifold studs (i guess that is what you call them) need replaced. one is bent and the others are ok but i would like to put in all stainless if i can. does any one have any ideas on where i can get new studs. is it alright to use the one that is slightly bent or should i get new ones? how do you take them out? are there any alternatives? thanks

Hudi

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

exhaust studs Empty Re: exhaust studs

Post  DocRawk Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:00 am

I'm not sure about the safety of using a bent one, but I know I've read other people's posts about double nutting to get them out. You just put two nuts on so that they lock against each other. You can then use a socket wrench and just unscrew them. Once you get them out, you could probably take them to a hardware or automotive supply store and get replacements. Worst case scenario, you'd have to hit the stealership.
DocRawk
DocRawk

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:32 pm

+1 on the double nut to get them out but you have to use an open end/box end wrench to get them off as a socket will just turn the outside nut when you have to get on the inside nut to remove the stud. I replaced mine with some I got from the parts store from the help section. They have brass nuts too so they will strip and damage before the stud will. So far no problems at all and they have about 6000 miles on them.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Put some anti-sieze when you install the new ones. One day you may need to take out a broke one or something and you'll be happy if they are easier to get out.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down