Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why not ct on front and back???

2 posters

Go down

why not ct on front and back??? Empty why not ct on front and back???

Post  Guest Fri May 20, 2011 5:22 pm

[i]I don,t understand why you can,t run car tires on both front and back I do know I have had it with these metzlers i have on my bike now they are wearing out so fast I can,t believe it I am beginning to think there is something wrong with the bike.I just bought it since I have put approx. 4000 miles on it the tires looked almost new when I bought it and now they are wearing out fast the front is wearing out faster on the left side can anyone tell me how many miles you are suposed to get on a motorcycle tire?? Shrug I hope someone can answere some if not all of these questions for me.I just wanted to up date this post I have been surfing the net for hours now and can,t find any 15 inch front wheels dirty dirty well I guess i an going to have to go with back m/c tire on the front and a c/t on the back maybe when i am rich and famos I will have a custom 15 inch front wheel made for my vtx or maybe you cant run the same size wheels on front and back. hmmm Shrug

Last edited by Ritz Red on Sat May 21, 2011 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

why not ct on front and back??? Empty Re: why not ct on front and back???

Post  smokey2255 Fri May 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Red, first off welcome to the site. They done make a car tire that will fit the front of these scoots. Back in the 40's they all ran car tires up front because that is what was available. Being the freak I am, if i could find one to fit my wing I would try it. and believe me when I say I would test it too.

The tires you have on the bike now could be wearing fast for several reasons. The age of the tire is one. They all have a born on date and you should not run one more than six years old. The life the tires had before you bought the bike play in it too. ie. was the bike sitting oputside weathered or drying in the sun?
The type of bike also plays in it. What type of scoot are you on? I know the vtx's wear harder on the left. C hanging the stem bearings helps that.

Hope this helps

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

why not ct on front and back??? Empty tires

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Well I ride a 2002 1800 vtxS the tires were almost new when i bought the bike I did find out that I did,nt have enough pressure in them I just looked at my bike and I have a flat on the back this tire thing is getting me down well I am going to try running a car tire on the back in a couple of weeks I figure I will have this back tire worn out by then or maybe it is best to just put the car tire on when I fix this flat this is the first time for me changing a rear tire on this big of a bike I always had triumph bikes back in the day 650 and I used volkswagon tires on them I did,nt think about the miles I was getting then I was going for the fat bobber look then pluss it seemed I could scrape the foot pegs better with those volkswagon tires oh well

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat May 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Just put the CT on and you will forget the old tire very quickly. Wear it in a bit before pushing it and play around with pressures until she's sweet.
Double Darkside is CT on back and a rear MT on front, and that's good enough for wear and great handling. A CT on the front, I can't imagine myself tearing up the north Georgia twisties with. As is, my rear Bridgestone S-11 Spitfire doesn't scootch a bit on the tar snakes and isn't showing any wear at all when it should be.
Near zero speed with front brake on will sometimes cause it to sort of stick in one direction, but I very rarely use the front under 10mph anyway. I think it's because the rears don't have the little groove in the center - that's the only difference in the front and rear Spitfires, except tread depth.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down