Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rubbing issue

3 posters

Go down

Rubbing issue Empty Rubbing issue

Post  coldweatherfreak Thu May 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Suzuki V-strom 1000 w 205/50-17 General Altimax Artic and 530 chain (525 chain is stock)
tire clears chain by about 1/8"

just picked up bike from 60k service and new suspenders, stock suspension was undersprung to begin with and worn out, never had this rub before

only when I go over hard bump, very slight rub I hear now, it sounded like a stronger rub in corner (corner I heard it in was leaning to left/chain side)

I know that radial tires bulge at bottom on the loaded side, if you measured the width at the bulging area it would probably be wider than my chain

my thinking is that normal load, the bulge stays prety much at the bottom, and by the time the tire rotates to chain, its back to normal width but when go over bump, the load deformation is greater and spreads further around the circumference of the tire and hits my chain

On the otherhand, I can't find any evidence of rubbing on the tire or chain but I've only ridden 6 miles with the new suspension and heard it rub 3 times for a fraction of a second

coldweatherfreak
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Rubbing issue Empty Re: Rubbing issue

Post  CaribCruiser Thu May 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Have no solution for you, but you mention you're not absolutely sure it's the tire rubbing.
Use some chalk on the tire on the widest part and then take her for a spin, if it rubs
you will be able to see that.
Also, you may try riding the same track with the same speed at different tire pressure.
I do hope more tech guys will chime in later.
Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu May 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Well here's something to consider! Worn chains can have side slap in them and a bunch because they are worn really bad. Check that to see if it's the chain?

Congrats on your darkside and thanks for checking in.

..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak Thu May 19, 2011 6:43 pm

twin1300 wrote:Well here's something to consider! Worn chains can have side slap in them and a bunch because they are worn really bad. Check that to see if it's the chain?

Congrats on your darkside and thanks for checking in.

..................bobby

the chain & sprockets are due for replacment, I didn't think of side play, now I have to remember which corner I heard it rub stronger, was I going to the left allowing gravity to sag the chain into the tire, I haven't checked my tire pressure yet either, I was thinking of experimenting with lower pressure, but maybe higher pressure again, the new suspenders are making me start from scratch again to find the sweet spot
coldweatherfreak
coldweatherfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Thu May 19, 2011 9:11 pm

It's always a nice experience to find the sweet spot. Embarassed
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak Fri May 20, 2011 3:00 pm

pretty sure its the chain, at the point where it's closest to the tire, I can push the chain sideways and it hits the tire, right on a thin rib that protrudes from the sidewall about 3/32

Im not to concerened, I didn't hear it today,
coldweatherfreak
coldweatherfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down