Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Darksider with Concernes.

+2
NeonLeon
fdkennedy
6 posters

Go down

New Darksider with Concernes. Empty New Darksider with Concernes.

Post  fdkennedy Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 pm

Setup is 02 1800r that has had spoke wheels put on it,but running a rear 07 1300r cast wheel .I have read a few post on the problems I am having but looking to see if any other ideas are out there ..Just went dark yesterday.Have put about 150 miles on it so far... Having problems with it feeling like I am running on a flat. Worse at low speeds and uneven ground.Some roads it seems to want to fish tail wobble and then at higher speeds it will do this as well. I am running a falken ZE 512 I think it is. Did notice today the guy mounted the tire running the wrong direction. I know I need new shock bushings as well. When I first left the shop it felt almost flat it wiggled so much. Checked it and it was over inflated,let air out and stopped the straight line wiggle at normal speeds.Nothing feels lose or anything other than the rear end wobble at times. I know there is going to be a little side wall roll on turns and such but when I first started out it felt like it was gonna go sideways.I do not me on its side. Felt Like was on dirt power sliding a curve is one way of putting it. Was a very rough ride when over inflated too. We rode at slow speed in a funeral today my wife on back. she liked the softer bumps,and I know now the front will hit a bump and jar like always but it really absorbs the bumps alot better in the back. Sorry if I am rambling here trying to explain it. Buried an uncle today that we lost out of left field so been a very long few days and mind is still wondering on me a bit while trying to get my thoughts down... if there is confusion I will try again to explain. Like the tire but dont know about the turns that feel like bike is on a flat. Curves at speed feel good, can run down the road at 70 and lean bike from side to side with out any hint of flex or wobble. the low speed and the high speed that bothers me. Still in my learning curve. If I do not get to feeling better about it soon I will have the wheel and tire for sale..Thanks for getting from on end to the other of this thing.Any and all suggestions welcome..

fdkennedy

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Back to top Go down

New Darksider with Concernes. Empty Re: New Darksider with Concernes.

Post  NeonLeon Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:22 am

First let me say that I am sorry for your loss.

Don't give up yet. There will be others much smarter than I am but a couple of things stood out. One is the shock bushings ... if they are worn then the ct will accentuate the wobble. What pressure are you running in the tire? Mine settled in around 32 pounds. I also felt the "hoopties" on tar snakes and cracks in the pavement and Bobby told me to drop the pressure ... it worked. You should put 200 - 300 miles on it to wear it in before getting crazy with it.

Now wait for the guys with the real good advice to chime in ... but don't quit. New Darksider with Concernes. 3392635135 New Darksider with Concernes. 3682472533
NeonLeon
NeonLeon

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 am

Yes check the tire pressures, I started at 37 and it felt funny too, but after asking here I lowered it to 34 lbs and it felt much better. The shock bushings also do contribute, but I had already replaced my bushings. Start with the easy fix of tire pressure that should help you have to find your sweet spot.
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:19 am

Welcome to the site...
First fix your shock bushings, they cause the majority of your wobble.
The nest step is play with your pressures, start with about 38 and drop it 2lbs at a time.
You may have to go up and down a few times until you convince yourself where your "sweet spot" is.
What are your rear shocks set to? You might want to go up on the preload a click or two.

Stick with it, and I'm confident that you will soon find you can't believe everybody doesn't do this. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  NeonLeon Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:52 am

See ... I told you the smart guys would start chiming in ... New Darksider with Concernes. 3079029344
NeonLeon
NeonLeon

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Welcome, and like Leon said, don't give up yet, there must be a logical explanation,
just don't expect to get it from me. Embarassed
Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  fdkennedy Tue May 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks for the info. Got the tire remounted today. Felt better after. May have just been the piece of mind knowing its rotating the right direction. Have not run it up the speedo yet. Fri.my bro and I got on it and never had a wobble all the way to 120mph per the speedo at least.I have noticed that since I changed my clutch,and my fuel pressure reg that I seem to be getting a bit better gas mileage. Hope the ct helps a little bit too

fdkennedy

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed May 04, 2011 7:36 am

Congrats sir!!!!! Now go ride it like you stole it!!!! Very Happy

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down