Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

first road trip

+2
Doc
james w
6 posters

Go down

first road trip Empty first road trip

Post  james w Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:55 am

ive allways made one day trips.from home to frindes homes parked in guarge. planing a trip from kansas to miami fla.about 500 to 600 miles a day staying at hotels.looking for info on best way to lock bike other than handelbar lock. and best place to park at night. thanks
james w

james w

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

first road trip Empty Re: first road trip

Post  Doc Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08 pm

I've made a few multiday trips and usually just back in and park in front of my room. If the motel doesn't have in front of room parking, just ask the desk clerk if you can park your bike out side the front door to the lobby. Many of these spots are well lit and under video surveillance. I have been surprised at how few have any problem with that.
I also used a cover although it's more for keeping the dew off the bike so I have something dry to ride in the morning.
Disc locks work well, but don't forget you put it on... Laughing
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  NeonLeon Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:19 pm

You could also paint the bike blue ... no one would take it then ... right Jerry???

jocolor

All good suggestions by Doc.
NeonLeon
NeonLeon

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:23 pm

NeonLeon wrote:You could also paint the bike blue ... no one would take it then ... right Jerry???

jocolor

All good suggestions by Doc.

No one that didn't have a death wish.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:10 pm

Yes I have motel parked across the country on several long trips and almost always the desk clerk has let us park under the covered area by the front entrance where they look out at the bikes and have light and video. Just make sure you don't be rude and put it blocking anything like the front door or sidewalks or handicap ramp. I just use the fork lock on the bikes, mostly so they can't roll it off quietly, but if someone wants to steal your bike they will no matter how you lock it. Surprisingly I have left gloves and cheap glasses etc. in the leather saddlebags on my X which don't lock and no one has ever once bothered them? Just lucky i guess maybe.
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:16 pm

It's been a long time since I used motels on a bike, but we used to put paper down and roll the bikes in the room when the clerk wasn't looking.
Works for me.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down