Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DS Tire Size Needed!

2 posters

Go down

DS Tire Size Needed! Empty DS Tire Size Needed!

Post  DarkFlame Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:03 pm

I introduced myself back in November (My "New Member" Intro). I had about 16,000 miles on my Metzler 880 and the rear tire delaminated - not completely, but enough to let me know it's time to make a change.

MY bike - '06 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 (solid wheels, not spokes) with about 24,000 miles on it, now needs the rear tire replaced before I can take her out of the driveway. Given that we went from below-freezing temps last week to 78 (& clear blue sky with no wind) yesterday, I'm getting the itch to have the bike back on the road. The tire specs for my bike are 170/80-15, so I'm looking for a DS tire that will replace it without the new tire pounding the fender.

My PRIMARY request is for anyone with the Sabre who has upgraded to the DS to tell me what (brand, model, size, etc.) has worked.

My SECONDARY request is for anyone with either a Sabre, or an ACE Deluxe (750, but same stock tires & same fenders) who has upgraded to the DS to tell me what (brand, model, size, etc.) has worked.

My TERTIARY request is for anyone who understands tire sizes that can tell me what (brand, model, size, etc.) has worked.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

I gotta do SOMETHING, and I'm not very inclined to spend another $150 on a rear tire that costs twice the price and gets 1/4 the mileage.

Thanks!
David
San Antonio, TX

DarkFlame

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Back to top Go down

DS Tire Size Needed! Empty Re: DS Tire Size Needed!

Post  DarkFlame Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Well, I've looked for car tires starting with my stock size of 170/80-15, and I can't find anything. The closest I can come is a 185 (versus 170), and that's 3/5" wider.

I'd PROBABLY want to go to the 195 size, and that's a full 1" wider than the current tire on the stock rim. Will that fit the stock rim without too much sideways play when cornering? Will that fit inside the stock fender?

Thanks, for any help,
-> David
San Antonio, TX

DarkFlame

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Watching for replies also. I just tried putting a Nantang 165-80-15 on my rim and can't get it to bead up. Reccomended is Kuhmo 165-80-15. But can't find one anywhere.
Hope this helps.
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFlame Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Joe, when the bike shop tried to get my Metzler's to seat, they claimed they couldn't get their air pressure high enough to pop the bead on. I took it from them to a Firestone shop where they had to punch it through with 150 PSI. The bike shop couldn't get any higher than 110, and it wouldn't pop on, even with lots of soapy water. I'm expecting about the same trouble with whatever next tire I install. My own compressor (new since then) won't go any higher than about 120 psi, so we'll see what happens. At least the Firestone folks know us & help us out with little stuff like that at no charge (tho I usually slip the tech a $5 or $10 (or more), depending on what they help us with).

DarkFlame

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Was up to 80psi and wouldn't pop. Have you ever tried the starting fluid "EXPLOSION" method?

Here's a good calculator.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkFlame Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:08 pm

Smoken'JOE wrote:Was up to 80psi and wouldn't pop. Have you ever tried the starting fluid "EXPLOSION" method?

No, & branded "starting fluid" is not even what our 3 favorite mechanics (different shops) use as starting fluid. Berryman's B-12 is what all 3 use, and they neither know each other, nor work in the same city. And, controlled explosions inside an internal combustion engine are about as explosive as I want to experience. I don't even use lighter fluid on pit fires, either. This thought is just scary to me, tho I'm SURE there are those who have tried it. I just can't imagine the first person who ever thought "If I fill it with some explosive fluid and then light the match, it might expand the gases fast enough to seat the bead." That ranks right up there with the first person who thought an oyster might be something good to eat. Laughing

Smoken'JOE wrote:Here's a good calculator.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp

The DiscountTireDirect.com website is currently down. But, there's a Discount Tire shop at the next exit up the highway, and I've been looking at their site (previously) for tires that MIGHT fit. I'll have to stop by there to introduce myself to the manager and see what kind of help I can get from him regarding the tire size and fit & maybe even getting them to do the install if I take them the rear wheel.

DarkFlame

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down