Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very slight problem with DD

+2
CaribCruiser
quadancer
6 posters

Go down

Very slight problem with DD Empty Very slight problem with DD

Post  quadancer Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:19 am

I posted this elsewhere in another discussion, but it's relevant to you guys - a little...
I do have ONE negative to say about the S-11...being that I'm running "double Darkside" or a CT in back with a rear MC in front...the one difference in tread design on the S-11 is the rear lacks the cut down the center of the tire.(well, also a bit thicker tire) What it does is occasionally when stopping, the front end gets very sticky in the last few feet, as if your steering head bearings needed grease.
Simply releasing the front brake, (which you shouldn't be using under 10mph anyway) releases that sticky feeling and restores steering.
I rode the rain with it and absolutely loved it. DD gives the feeling of being almost on a dry road.

Anyone else have this happen? My steering head bearings were greased when I redid the fork springs, and freeplay is correct, so it's the tire. But it's not bothersome at all. Actually, it reminds me that I have the front brake on when it shouldn't be.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Very slight problem with DD Empty Re: Very slight problem with DD

Post  CaribCruiser Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:53 pm

I've problems with my DD for years my friend, but the ugly truth is that it's mostly my fault ! Wink
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:44 am

Not sure! My friend ride (DD), the S11 on the front and no issues from him! I rode it and didn't feel anything either like that!

Hmmmmmmm! I think you need further investigation!

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:52 am

Perhaps the steering hub was greased, but unless you did it, were the bearings checked? This really does seem to be bearing going bad in the hub. Depending on where you live, Winter is a great time to check these things out.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:01 pm

I had the front end apart when I put spacers over my springs to give it a stiffer head. While the triples were out, I greased the bearings, and of course, adjusted everything when I put it back together. It's totally free set to zero without preload and this bike only has 17k on it. Odd.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:56 am

Actually, I should have suggested how to test the steering bearings in my first reply, and somehow missed doing so.
Jack the front tire off the pavement, with the bike in a completely upright condition. With the bars at center, give them a slight nudge to one side and then the other. If the tension is correct, they should move slowly to the stop on that side, and the other.
While jacked up, move the bars slowly from side to side, there should be no feelings of glitches, bumps, catches, nothing what so ever. Anything like that, could indicate a bearing or two that's been distorted in shape.

Either the steering head being too tight, or even one of the bearings being flattened, can be magnified while on the road. Quite often not visible even if you completely clean the bearings and visibly check them.

Good luck, hope you find the problem. This sounds as if it could put you in a dangerous situation, especially if it worsens.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah, you're right. I have my bike up on the jack all the time when I work on or wash it. The steering goes freely on the Harley, with no resistance or bumps, grinds, or stuttering. As I said, it's not a big problem, but I just like perfection and that ain't it.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:41 am

Understand what you say about 'perfection', especially in performance of the bike. I can live with a dirty bike, usually only washed when riding through rain, a few dings and dents, and other such cosmetic problems. But, as you, want the mechanics of the bike to perform to perfection, or as close as any mechanical device can get.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Back to top Go down

Post  Davetac1 Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:22 pm

FYI:Any bearing,whether it be a sealed unit,a needle bearing,or a ball bearing,can be tested by simply cleaning it thoroughly,then holding it in the middle with two fingers while rotating it slowly with the other hand.What you're looking for is any sign of roughness or binding while it's being rotated.And if there is a problem with it,you'll feel it right away. Dave!!!

Davetac1

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:09 pm

And while you're cleaning it, it was always recommended NOT to spin it with the air gun at high speed. I think that was to avoid chipping or something. I have doused them in alcohol and burned out old hard grease in the corners and such, then cleaned it again by brush, gas and air (not spinning).
These days I avoid the gas on the skin due to osmosis.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Very slight problem with DD Empty D/D

Post  grumpybutt Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:03 pm

NO! NO! NO! don't ever put a bearing on your fingers and hit it with air, if that bearing comes apart (whitch they have) you'll be missing fingers !!! scratch

grumpybutt

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Davetac1 Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:25 pm

grumpybutt wrote:NO! NO! NO! don't ever put a bearing on your fingers and hit it with air, if that bearing comes apart (whitch they have) you'll be missing fingers !!! scratch

You got that right.I've seen it happen.Infact,it happened to me once.But i was lucky as it did not seize while on my fingers.It just disintergrated and came apart in my hand but I was able to toss it before it did do damage.Needless to say,I learned my lesson and never, "NEVER" did it again.So this is GOOD ADVICE and a WARNING from this gentleman. Dave!!!

Davetac1

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down