Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't get the tire to seat.

5 posters

Go down

Can't get the tire to seat. Empty Can't get the tire to seat.

Post  sterling Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:39 pm

I bought a fuzion HRI for my 900 vulcan in 195 65 15 and I can't get it to seat all the way. i put 120 lbs of air in it, i greased it with dish soap vasline and every thing else you can think of i let is sit under a heat lamp i am out of ideas...... les schwab will not touch it and commercial tire couldn't get it to seat. so pleas could some one give me some ideas!

sterling

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-16

Back to top Go down

Can't get the tire to seat. Empty re can't get the tire to seat

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:22 am

I have read where some mounted back on bike on the stand and ran it up high speed to get them to seat.could be worth a try.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Can't get the tire to seat. Empty Re: Can't get the tire to seat.

Post  quadancer Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:35 am

I don't know if it's any slipperier than Vaseline, but I've used Tire Shine - you know, the stuff you put on the sidewalls. Probably mostly silicone.
If you spin it on the bike, it will be out of balance before seating, so I'd want to sit on the bike with hands on the controls and foot over the brake just in case. I could see a bike coming off the jack with the wheel doing 100mph... affraid
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  MrClean Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Running it up while on the bike doesn't work, at least it didn't for me. When I put my first one on I ran out of time and had to get the bike back into the garage SO while I had the tire on there anyways I gave it a shot. No good. I cleaned and polished the safety bead the next time and when they went to set the bead it set at somewhere around 40 pounds, guys were a little dis-appointed as they'd read they might get to see a tire/wheel blow up. Oh well.

Don't use vaseline or any petroleum product on natural rubber, don't you remember sex ed? Use KY Jelly OR the last tire I put on I tried Lemon Pldg after watching a guy in a tire shop use it on a bike tire. That stuff was slick. I normally have a bit of problem getting the second bead over the rim on my Harbor Freight machine. I gripped down prepared to fight this one over and it just slipped right over thanks to the lube.

Good luck. I got 18500 out of my first rear before I swapped it out because I was swapping the rim. Would have gotten in the lower 20's with it.

MrClean

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:31 pm

ROFLOL!!! Is there ANYTHING you can't use lemon Pledge on??? I've recently added the saddlebags to the list and it outshines the Chevy leather conditioner I was using! Plus only takes a minnit to apply and buff off!
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:09 pm

I had the same problem with my 900 C, the tire easily mounted on the rim, but would not seat out over the safety beads on the rim. I found the 3 different 15" bike tires that I measured to be 15 1/16" diameter in the center hole and the 5 different car tires that I measured to be 14 15/16" in diameter. That's a 1/8" difference between the car and bike tires.

Using all the slippery things available, buffing the inside of the rim and even grinding the inside of the safety bead to a slope would not let 100 PSI seat the tire. As an experiment, I used a 3" grinding wheel and carefully ground 1/16" off of the inside of the hole in the center of the tire. The tire then seated with only about 50 PSI and has not lost any pressure in the last few months. Putting 2,300 miles on it, riding from Iowa to NC and the Dragon, riding all those wonderful corners out there, and back home, still never lost any tire pressure. The tire was balanced, and needed no additional weights after doing this.

Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down