Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is the basic "How to" of installing CTs?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Where is the basic "How to" of installing CTs? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where is the basic "How to" of installing CTs?

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:04 pm

Steve-O wrote:Just checked my tire. Rear one has 5k miles on it and looks to have a lot of miles left on it. I don't have to change it any time soon, but thought I might go ahead and change it out for a 165 now and keep the old tire. Then, if I sold it later on, I can slap the mc tire back on it......

I'm probably going to opt to try out the 165 and see how it works. Unless I can find a 175 or 185. With my limited riding history, I'm not sure I could add much to any discussion about if CTs are better than MTs. But I could check out the fit and function.

In checking out tires, it appears that there is one 165 available, a lot of 195s, but not any of 175, 185s. I have just checked walmart and discount tire, but seems odious that there were NO 175 or 185s. Going to a 195 at this time might not be a prudent thing to do.....

David: Let me know if/when you will be changing out your tire. We can do ours at the same time.

Steve-O,

I like your noodling pic? That's is a noodling fish huh?

Any way before you start grabbing for sizes, check my above post about the height size of the 185's and 195's compared to the 165.

...........bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Where is the basic "How to" of installing CTs? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where is the basic "How to" of installing CTs?

Post  Steve-O Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:17 pm

No noodling here. Caught it on rod and reel in the dead of winter - note the coveralls and stocking cap. It was about 35 that day.

I'll check the tire height. I'm getting with Tim and David before i do anything....

Did find a cycle shop in Frisco (north of Dallas) that would mount and balance a car tire on my bike for $45. I think they charge less if you just bring in the wheel. That would make the 165 Kumho $110 total....
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:26 pm

That is great news Steve-O... I wonder if they know it will take anywhere from 80 to 110 psi to seat it?

I'm still looking into tires for me. I will be doing my visits to tire shops this weekend since it will be raining cats and dogs.. Or maybe I should be out riding in it. Test out the 165 Kumho. But I just cleaned the bike!! ha ha ha.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:40 pm

I spoke with a guy that seemed like he know what he was talking about. Asked if I was going to bring in the wheel or the bike (when I asked for a quote). I said "both". Kinda felt like a dumb shit soon thereafter. anyway, he said I had to bring in my own tire and they would mount and balance it. He said to call first and he'd let me know if he could work me in.

$110 for a rear tire.... Good to know.

Daniel Meyer gave me the name and number - so he get's the credit.

Still want to get with David and Tim to take some pics as we change a tire. But know a MC shop that will do it is pretty nice to know. Close by too.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:10 am

You should use that guy, and then report to the rest of us EXACTLY what he did (with pictures if possible). I'd love to see how a professional does it!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:06 am

ttexastim wrote:You should use that guy, and then report to the rest of us EXACTLY what he did (with pictures if possible). I'd love to see how a professional does it!

Hey!......"how a professional does it"!!!!!!!!!! What you think we are doing here working without a net?????? Oh, Yea! we are! My bad. I got a pic of bab1800n2 mounting one in at the little motorcycle shop!

Where is the basic "How to" of installing CTs? - Page 2 P1010180

(ON a side note!!!! Today was the last day the shop is open, It officially is closed for business and is gone. Sad Gonna miss that hang out!)

..........bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:10 am

Steve-O wrote:..... they would mount and balance it...........

Steve-O,

If you want an extra smooth ride, don't let them balance it with weights.. Rather, get you 3 oz of Dynabeads. I put them in and removed the balancing weights. Wow, very nice. it is constantly balancing itself now... Very nice.

Get the motorcycle kit they have.... it is a 2oz pack and a 1 oz pack with the installation kit. this way it is cheaper. I wanted to try them in rear tire first. I will now get more beads for my front tire. but now all I have to do is order beads...

Hope it goes well! Let us know if they will let you take pictures, etc...??

David
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:24 am

DarkSide-Shadow wrote:
Steve-O wrote:..... they would mount and balance it...........

Steve-O,

If you want an extra smooth ride, don't let them balance it with weights.. Rather, get you 3 oz of Dynabeads. I put them in and removed the balancing weights. Wow, very nice. it is constantly balancing itself now... Very nice.

Get the motorcycle kit they have.... it is a 2oz pack and a 1 oz pack with the installation kit. this way it is cheaper. I wanted to try them in rear tire first. I will now get more beads for my front tire. but now all I have to do is order beads...

Hope it goes well! Let us know if they will let you take pictures, etc...??

David

"Gary in Indiana" on our vendor page sells them! Tell him we sent you. If you can't find a number for him...PM Muntz and he has it.......he put them in his darkside.

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:09 am

Gary sent me 3oz for the rear and 2oz for the front, plus the hose and applicator bottle. Definitely drop him an email. He quick and hes cheap.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:02 pm

good, thanks for the heads up.

I will give him a PM when I'm ready to add to my front. And, for some reason Twisted Evil I think I might be buying a different CT tomorrow, We'll see. So, I might need a total of 5 oz... Ha ha ha....

I'll let you know how the CT shopping goes.

David
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Tell him what the tire size is, he will calculate how much you need.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2