Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can you do your own tires?

3 posters

Go down

can you do your own tires? Empty can you do your own tires?

Post  Griffjag Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:27 pm

I have worked in a tire shop before when I was learning how to be and aircraft mechanic. And if I am going to use ther dyna beads for the balancing. I have a VTX 1300 R model with the semi solid front wheel. and going Dark on the rear wheel. I have a nice size air compresser. I think the only two problems will be getting the tire off the rim and then back on without the correct tools. Can it be done with basic hand tools?

Griffjag

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-02-12

Back to top Go down

can you do your own tires? Empty Re: can you do your own tires?

Post  twin1300 Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Griffjag,

Yes it can! It aint easy by no stretch of the means! It will probably take two people to do it by hand. I usually have a car shop that does tires do my wheels to keep from the grief of listening to how I am going to die and this wont work....LOL $15 and you are done with the hassle is how I roll!!! JMO

Breaking the bead and is going to suck unless you make a bead breaker and then you are talking about more time to the tire change.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out! Be careful seating the bead, it is very dangerous. I know you have tire experience, but I still caution everyone.

..............................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

can you do your own tires? Empty re: mounting tire with hand tools

Post  mikeyrx Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:37 am

I did this when I mounted the Forenza 175/60 on my GL 1500. Taking off the old M/C tire is a pain. BUT, putting on the new C/T on the rim was easy. First side went on easily using Murphy's oil soap/water mix as lube. For the second side, I got it started, then clamped the beads pretty much together using a large C clamp to keep it down, and proceeded to lever the remainder using tire irons only. Took less than 15 minutes from start to finish. If you can keep that 2nd bead in the center, and keep everything lubed, you can do it. I think I will be making a bead breaking setup that will attach to the wall however.
Mikeyrx

mikeyrx

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-09-05

Back to top Go down

can you do your own tires? Empty Re: can you do your own tires?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down