Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing steering head bearings before Rally!!!

+4
vtxreaper
wayne
smokey2255
twin1300
8 posters

Go down

Replacing steering head bearings before Rally!!! Empty Replacing steering head bearings before Rally!!!

Post  twin1300 Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:59 pm

I am replacing my steering head bearings this weekend on my 1300 before all the riding we are going to do when the darkside rally comes in April. I had developed a head shake if I took both hands off the bars, but just touch one hand back on the handle bars it would go away.

So, I removed the steering head tonite.....the original bearings looked great and were in good condition, it just appeared to needing to tightened and should have been fine. But I am replacing them anyway and going to paint the triple trees and forks. I am tired of cleaning them....hehehehe

I will let you know how it comes out!

Later...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Replacing steering head bearings before Rally!!! Empty Re: Replacing steering head bearings before Rally!!!

Post  twin1300 Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:02 pm

Oh....yea! Smokey, there are places for a person like you that pack bearing that way!!!... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thank you brother! You are the best and I appreciate your friendship. I will take both of what you sent me on the darksie Rally'! The bearings and the jumper cables!

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Replacing steering head bearings before Rally!!! Empty Re: Replacing steering head bearings before Rally!!!

Post  smokey2255 Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:55 pm

twin1300 wrote:Oh....yea! Smokey, there are places for a person like you that pack bearing that way!!!... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thank you brother! You are the best and I appreciate your friendship. I will take both of what you sent me on the darksie Rally'! The bearings and the jumper cables!

.........................bobby

Welcome brother, I take it you finally opened them Laughing Laughing I knew you could appreciate it affraid

See you at the rally
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Me and Buddha1800 are going at the bike full force. Changing bearings and painting as we go. NO MORE CHROME OR ALUMINUM! WOOOOHOOOOO! i am a rider and not a polisher!

Sorry, guys/gals! No pics, we are too busy to take any! Burning daylight, gotta go!

...............................twin

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:43 pm

If you clean up the old bearings and look real close, I would bet that you will see that they are bad. My first 2 set of OEM only lasted 8 to 10 k each and they had indentations in them. bike was pushing in the corners and shaking.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:42 pm

Wayne,

I looked at them and felt the bearings good.....they didn't appear worn and the cage was all in tack and look good also. But...they were excessive loose when I was taking it apart.

I tell what...these all balls bearing replacement are the bomb! Rode at any speed with NO hands from 20mph to 65mph for a couple of miles at all speeds...not the first shake!!!! Thanks Smoke for the bearings!!!!!!!

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Hummm, new neck bearings, so far so good with mine. My balls are bearing just fine for now. I will have to keep an eye on them. 29,000 miles plus and no wobble yet.
Watch on my ride to Tenn. I will probably develop a bearing problem.

REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 pm

vtxreaper wrote:Hummm, new neck bearings, so far so good with mine. My balls are bearing just fine for now. I will have to keep an eye on them. 29,000 miles plus and no wobble yet.
Watch on my ride to Tenn. I will probably develop a bearing problem.

REAPS

Hay Reaps.
Us 1800 guys got it made in the shade. We dont have that problem or at least not near as bad as those 1300 folks. Take it easy and have a beer.

Peace
Moon.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:51 am

The 1800 bearings are what we replace ours with. Your cool.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:09 pm

I'm doing the same thing , got my bearings from George after he sold his VTX.
Also putting on a new front tire.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:12 am

horseman8m wrote:I'm doing the same thing , got my bearings from George after he sold his VTX.
Also putting on a new front tire.

You are going to love it horseman! Rides like it's brand new.

............................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Griffjag Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:54 am

Not going to make the rally bit far for me esipcally since I going to the one in ferdisburg in June. you all have a great one. I am planning on changing my neck bearing first part of april when i do the tires.

Griffjag

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:21 am

Griffjag wrote:Not going to make the rally bit far for me esipcally since I going to the one in ferdisburg in June. you all have a great one. I am planning on changing my neck bearing first part of april when i do the tires.

I know Doc00 is going from Tuscaloosa and was looking for someone to share the road with.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:58 pm

You are so right Twin , after I installed the new bearings and tire but before i reinstalled the windshield I took the bike out for a test drive ...
WOW whet an improvement , up to 60 mph and took my hands off the handle bars and it tracked straight as an arrow, no wobble at all.
I'm ready to go to the Darkside rally too.
see you there.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down