Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie first post! Michelin rear tire front mounted vibration

+4
cpwomer
quadancer
Doc
mdranger
8 posters

Go down

Newbie first post! Michelin rear tire front mounted vibration  Empty Newbie first post! Michelin rear tire front mounted vibration

Post  mdranger Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello all!
I recently mounted a Michelin pilot activ on my 97 gl1500 and it handles fine, corners fine, high speed fine, and cruises fine. But between 30 and 40 mph consistently I get a vibration buzz in the grips only at that speed range. Do I need to balance the front with weights or is this typical of brand new tire. I inflated to max pressure 41 psi cold. Can I run this tire at 34 which is still above normal front tire recommended 31. Thanks everybody. Shrug

mdranger

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-03-13

Back to top Go down

Newbie first post! Michelin rear tire front mounted vibration  Empty Re: Newbie first post! Michelin rear tire front mounted vibration

Post  Doc Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:22 pm

I had a buzz like you describe on my VTX above 50mph.
I took the factory weights off and installed 2 oz of dynabeads and then it was glass smooth
all the way to way faster than I needed to go! thumbup

I use them in my Wing now 2oz in the front and 3oz in the rear Michelin.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Newbie first post! Michelin rear tire front mounted vibration  Empty Dyna beads ordered

Post  mdranger Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:21 am

I have heard alot of good things about them. On the way. Thanks. thumbup

mdranger

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-03-13

Back to top Go down

Newbie first post! Michelin rear tire front mounted vibration  Empty Re: Newbie first post! Michelin rear tire front mounted vibration

Post  quadancer Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:50 am

Look into RideOn and you can eliminate flats at the same time.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Newbie first post! Michelin rear tire front mounted vibration  Empty Bearings

Post  cpwomer Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Did you check the front wheel bearing too since you had the wheel off anyway. And the dyna beads will help too. Excellant tire too
cpwomer
cpwomer

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Trackman Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:28 pm

mdranger wrote:Hello all!
I recently mounted a Michelin pilot activ on my 97 gl1500 and it handles fine, corners fine, high speed fine, and cruises fine. But between 30 and 40 mph consistently I get a vibration buzz in the grips only at that speed range. Do I need to balance the front with weights or is this typical of brand new tire. I inflated to max pressure 41 psi cold. Can I run this tire at 34 which is still above normal front tire recommended 31. Thanks everybody. Shrug
Have exactly the same problem on my 1800 vtx with the michelin activ rear mounted on the front.
The buzz is worse at 40mph, but exists at all speeds once you get looking for it with
the clutch pulled in. The odd part is it is most noticable on a fresh paved smooth road.

I tried in both reverse and normal directions. Weight and bead balanced.
Took it off and put old excedra back on. Buzz gone.

Just google around for "michelin activ rear vibration buzz" you will find it is normal for this pos.

Trackman

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  cpwomer Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I have the same tire but I installed 2 oz. of Counter Balance Beads, I purchased from Motorcycle Super Store on line. Only difference is on my 1988 I already have the Progressive frontend suspension with a Super Brace installed too. So my frontend responds alot different... The difference to me is stiffer more responsive frontend that I am more use to as opposed to the stock squishy suspension...Just add a Super Brace and the counter balance beads and I'm sure your frontend will improve alot.. Check preventative maintenance on the front end bearing too for loose adjustment...Let me know PS...I run 38 lbs on the Mich Pil. Rear tire mounted on the front wheel...
cpwomer
cpwomer

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusty007 Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:15 am

Do I need to balance the front with weights or is this typical of brand new tire. I inflated to max pressure 41 psi cold. Can I run this tire at 34 which is still above normal front tire recommended 31. Thanks everybody.

Dusty007

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpybutt Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:32 am

Dyna Beads are O.K. but personally I like Counteract, they're the little tiny glass beads. They will go down your valve a lot easier, don't seem to wear, ever like Dyna Beads will

grumpybutt

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:35 am

Yes, you need to balance any tire on a bike, especially the front tire. Easy to do using the axle to spin the tire on jack stands to find light spot to add weights. The additional weight of a rear tire on the front makes this important.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down