Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Darkside

+2
RonK
ridehonda
6 posters

Go down

New to Darkside Empty New to Darkside

Post  ridehonda Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Hello All! I am new to this forum and have been dropping in and reading your posts for 6 months or so. I am currently riding an 06' VTX 1800 Retro and am concidering the move to a C/T. I have went thru two back tires this year in 8800 miles and am tired of the price for replacement m/c tires. My biggest concern with changing over to the c/t is safety but from all the posts i've read on here that doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I really do like the look of the GY TT and the Mich HE but being a retro dude looks are second to performance. I am looking for what size tire I can use without modifying anything on the bike (i'm sure its on here somewhere just didn't see it) and if lead weights are preferred over the dyna beads. Thanks for the suggestions and info.

JIM

ridehonda

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-29

Back to top Go down

New to Darkside Empty Re: New to Darkside

Post  RonK Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:40 pm

--
Welcome to the forum, Jim.

Just to get things started, there are a bunch of threads on the forum that have conversion charts, etc. However, I can't open them as I suspect when we were hacked, it may have messed them up. Either that, or my computer just won't do it anymore.

Anyway, you can go to a site like http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp and check the dimensions of various tire widths, diameter, etc., with what will fit on your bike. You must either check other posts here on installations on a bike like yours or do some careful measurements on your bike and then find one that fits that size on a tire supply link.

I used my old tire size as a minimum, then added whatever additional space I had left under the fender (when compressed) to find the max size that would fit. In my case, I had only 3 tires that would fit and chose the one that had good ratings and was also designed for sport cars as I figured it had more sidewall strength. It took some time for my first purchase, but now I know what I can use so it will be faster next time.

I have only used a spoke, collar-shaped weight, and also stick-on weights, both working okay. People who use beads seem to like them. Check some other posts.

Some others may chime in here. Be sure to ask if you have more questions.

Good luck.

RonK

RonK

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Big"P" Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:07 am

Welcome ridehonda

I am new to the site myself . I just made my first darkside purchase today. I went with the 205/70/R15 for my VTX1300 c 05. that my help knowing you can put a 105 in a 1300c 1800 much larger. well i would give more but like a said I'm new good luck. let the darkside be with you!!!! sunny

Big"P"

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 am

provided you don't have the spoked rims you are looking for a 205/65 or a 205/60 or an equivalent height 195, if you can find one. Physical tire sizes vary by manufacturer regardless of actual tire size, check their specs (usually on the manufacturers website).

use a tire calculator to see what you can find for equivalent 195 tire sizes and search to see if that size actually exists...

another factor to consider is your shocks, stock or aftermarket, height, settings and load (2 up or not, heavy bags, trailer, ect...) as these factors affect clearance... some of these factors may require some adjustments or trimming of the ears of the inner fender brace.
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Dynabeads are the bomb. Use them both front and rear and love 'em.
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  moparmandjh Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:59 am

+1 on the beads.
Doc
moparmandjh
moparmandjh

Number of posts : 108