Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mounting own tires?

4 posters

Go down

Mounting own tires? Empty Mounting own tires?

Post  parttimr Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Can't find anyone that will mount the GYTT. Dealer said they would but would have to take off rotor and was unsure if then because of the spline sticking out further than the rim. Can get the tire for $90 but am unsure if I can get it on the rim. I cut the old tires off. What is the easiest way to get it to mount ? Woould really appreciate any help so I can get transitioned to the dreaded CT, lol. I have been debating this for quite some time now and am wanting to take the plungfe but now have this holding me up. Is it really that hard to mount them? Thanks for any and all help. Smile
parttimr
parttimr

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Mounting own tires? Empty Re: Mounting own tires?

Post  xtradark Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi parttimr,
Its not that easy, but it can be done with minimal equipment and a few hours of spare time, allow yourself a day on the weekend, throw in a bucketful of patience, a few breaks for coffee and reflection, "why the hell did I start this" and when your finished you will have a big smile on your face and a good feeling of a challenge overcome. Take a look at the post I just made on the shadow section. maybe that will help. Smile
Jonno.
xtradark
xtradark

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:15 pm

I take my rotor off and take the wheel into the store that I am buying the tire from. I watch to make sure they get rotation right and throw in the dyna beads. Only costs me 8 bucks to get it mounted. I find that the car guys are more intrigued and interested than the dealers. But the independant shops are pretty good too.
Any mag machine can do the bike rims.

Good luck

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:49 am

Manually changing tires isn't too tough, and I think it's a wortwhile experience just to know how to do it. I don't remove the rotor, but instead, just sit the rim on top of two 2x4s to keep the rotor up off the ground.

Here's a good video that shows the easiest, and cheapest, way to break the bead at home. link

You don't have to get anywhere near that fancy with the piece of wood. I just use any short piece of scrap 2x4 to unseat the tire.

This video shows changing out the tire itself. link

Good luck Very Happy
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down