Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going Darkside, please give me advice

+4
ttexastim
simpleman77
Oldsmobility
shadowman06
8 posters

Go down

Going Darkside, please give me advice Empty Going Darkside, please give me advice

Post  shadowman06 Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Have a 2006 Shadow Spirit. Going to 3rd rear tire at 21,000 miles. It has Pirelli (Route 66) stock tire size of 170/80/15 on rear. Stock rims. What would be some of the different brands and sizes i can go with. Have less than an inch of clearance anywhere now on back tire. (Side of Fenders, Frame, Driveshaft cover, etc). I want to keep rpm's and speedometer as close as possible. Usually ride solo but sometimes 2 up. Shocks are set to high now. At my weight and passengers weight bike is close to weight limit (I know, go on a diet). Is there a "Run Flat" model i can go with also?
Going Darkside. Just want to make the right choice.
All help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

shadowman06

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside, please give me advice Empty Re: Going Darkside, please give me advice

Post  Oldsmobility Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:56 pm

You could go to a 195/65 car tire, but your speedometer will be even farther off than stock, and you will be turning more rpms/losing fuel economy. This is offset by the fact that you'll have quicker acceleration off the line, so it's really a matter of personal preference. The rear of the bike will sit lower, which again, may be preferable.

I'm not sure if anybody is running a 195/70, but that would be nearly identical in height to the 170/80 on your bike currently. The only catch is that 195/70 is a truck size, so many of the tread patterns available will have a distinct truck appearance.

If the rim on your spirit is the same width as my aero wheel, you probably don't want to go any wider than a 195. I'd imagine that the spirit and aero are pretty similar in swingarm/fender clearance. If that's the case, you shouldn't have any problem installing either of the two sizes I mentioned above.

As for tire brand, you can never go wrong with Michelin. They're pretty much the top of the line, as far as car tire quality is concerned, but you're going to pay for it. Some guys on here run Michelin hydroedges, which is an excellent choice.

I personally am running an HP259, which is a Yokohama tire made specifically for NTB. For the money, it's difficult to find a better tire than the HP259, and that's not just me talking. I've seen tire magazine reviews which rated the HP259 very highly. In the past year or so they changed the name, so it's not just HP259 anymore, but "cyclone HP259".
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside, please give me advice Empty Re: Going Darkside, please give me advice

Post  simpleman77 Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:19 am

Oldsmobility wrote:You could go to a 195/65 car tire, but your speedometer will be even farther off than stock

Why would the speedometer be off?
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:06 am

I just was wondering the same thing and asked in that other post simpleman. Do the VLX's use the rear tire for the speedo? My VT1100 uses the front tire.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:54 am

I assume the spirit and aero would have the same transmission. My bike has a speed sensor in the transmission. If the spirit doesn't have the same speed sensor, then you wouldn't need to worry about the speedometer reading being altered.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:29 am

Oldsmobility wrote:I assume the spirit and aero would have the same transmission. My bike has a speed sensor in the transmission. If the spirit doesn't have the same speed sensor, then you wouldn't need to worry about the speedometer reading being altered.

My bad. I assumed that it had the front wheel speedometer sensor like my VLX.
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Shaft drive spirit would be a vt1100c which has the speedo in the front tire.

I'm sure there is a run flat, but not sure your passenger would like the stiffness of this tire. They are really stiff and go for $130 as opposed to $65. And CTs can be plugged. Just carry a plug kit and you'll be fine.

I have had a kumho 165, a Douglass 205, and just installed a General Altimax HP 185/65 today. I highly recommend any of these three, but right now am favoring the 185. The 165 rode just like a MC tire, handles great, cheap, great wear. The 205 was great on the superslab, but not very nimble around town. The current tire has only 65 miles on it, but I'm liking it a lot. Went on really easy too.

You can't go wrong with any of these.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  shadowman06 Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks to all who have replied. How much change in rpm's can i expect going from a 170/80/15 to a 185/65/15. Sometime i ride with a few Wings and Ultra Classics. They want to run anywhere from 70 to 85 on the interstate. With the stock tire it runs real sweet, very smooth from 70 to 75. Looking real hard at the 185/65/15 but might have to go with the 165/80/15 if it will be much of a rpm difference. What is your thoughts. Thanks.

shadowman06

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:37 pm

The 185/65 should increase your rpms approximately 5%, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's not a small amount either.

You'll definitely be able to feel a difference with the quicker acceleration. I went from a 170/80 to a 195/65, which is only a 3% change, and my bike feels alot faster off the line.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Back to top Go down

Post  shadowman06 Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks Olds. I get about 150 miles on a tank of gas now before switching to reserve. Thats normal riding also. With most roads in my area at a speed limit of 55. With the Spirit in 5th gear, 55 to 60 it wants to lug. If i get a small increase in rpm's that should help with that. So looks as if i go with a 185 or 195 rpm's will increase. If go with a 165/80/15. I stay as is. Thus when at that speed and start lugging, i down shift to 4th. Which will increase rpm's and more fuel consumption. What would be the best choice?

shadowman06

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:51 pm

well bro,i'm running the kumho and my rpms dropped which i'm glad it did.other guys that have a bike like mine are turning 3500 rpm's at 65.i have to go 76 mph before my tach reads 3500.now my oem tire was a 140 and 65 i think was the height.so if your looking for higher rpms,the kumho wont be your choice beings how you have a high geared bike.if it was me,i'd go with the 185 if i had your bike to try and get the rpms where you want it.i'm pretty sure that the 185/65/15 would be your best bet
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside, please give me advice Empty update

Post  shadowman06 Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:53 am

The ct is great! A smoother ride,handles great. Running 40 psi. Everyone be safe.

shadowman06

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:21 pm

pictures,, we need pics Very Happy

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:56 am

shadowman06 wrote:The ct is great! A smoother ride,handles great. Running 40 psi. Everyone be safe.

Thanks for the update. What kind of miles have you got on it now?

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside, please give me advice Empty ct

Post  shadowman06 Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:06 am

Only have about 800 miles on it due to cold weather. Will post pics soon. It has a smoother ride on the road compared to a m/c tire. Handles great in curves. Went through a very sharp s curve and it was after i had come out of curve that i thought about the ct being on. Just smiled and enjoyed the rest of that Sunday afternoon ride.

shadowman06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down