Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size

+10
Bobster113
ttexastim
Jdude
VegasVic
Steve-O
horseman8m
twin1300
jedishon
dirtwarrior
darkstar
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size

Post  darkstar Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:56 pm

hi darksider
i have a 2000 1100 yamaha classic an want to put a ct on her
any sugestions as what size ct to buy?
15inch spoke wheel,
tired of buying mt every 8k ,i dont mind droping the tire for lub, but the cost of tires sux

thanks
dark star

darkstar

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty Re: yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size

Post  dirtwarrior Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:17 am

I am still new here and havn't went to a CT the general thought is a 165 80
dirtwarrior
dirtwarrior

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty Re: yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size

Post  jedishon Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 am

darkstar, welcome aboard.....first question would be what size rim do you have. second what size tire are you using now. third how much clearance do you have under your fender....

The more info you can supply the easier it is to help figure out what will fit....

Take your shoes off, put your feet up and enjoy yourself, and we wont flame you here for your spelling.
heck we'd all rather be riding...

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  darkstar Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:29 am

I was using a dunlop 404
190/70/15 the rim mesures 5 1/2 across
I can not find a in a ct 165/80/15 in any brand,
tried a 195/60/15 but it wouldnt bead the rim, pumped bout 100 lbs into it ,
it wasnt goning to pop on ,used veg oil,soap, wd, water, nothing would let it slip

been to 3 diffrent tire places with no luck,

what else can i put on t his rim, an have enough clearaces,

thanks for the welcome, an my bad spelling,

dark star

darkstar

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 am

A Yamaha 1100 has spoked rims right? Have you considered sealing the rims and going tubless?
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/vtx-1300-tech-f11/sealing-rims-t68.htm?highlight=sealing
Cant find the thread right now, but someone used an oversided tubr to seat there tire on there rim...
Hope they check in to help or someone that remembers the thread sends you a link....
The 165 is a metric tire and will be sold as a 165/15 in most places. They are getting harder to find.
heres one https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findCombined
same tire but cheaper http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=165%2F&ratio=80&diameter=15&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All&x=54&y=9 real good deal at $40.00
One of them should have it in stock..
Good luck

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty links

Post  darkstar Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:39 pm

thanks for the link,
the kuhmo has been on back order for ever an nobody can get one,
the second one was there an just what i wanted, thanks
cheaper than wallmarts bf goodrich, white letter (one side of the tire) for 85$
I checked on a mc tire, 140$ , thats too much $$ for bout 8k,
seems like i paied bout 80$ last year for a tire, I guess they can charge what ever now that people are paying 4$+ a gallon, mc parts are gong to get alot higher with people riding more ,tryin to save a buck,
I read where the guy put the tire on an spun it up to get it to seat! if i have to thats what i am going to do, I will get it right, an feel like i am making the right discission,
I ll keep ya posted
got to gas up my cage till i get my star back rolling,

thanks for the imput an links
darkstar

darkstar

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:49 pm

Thanks Darkstar!

Glad to have you here sir!

The darkside on models not tried before, sometimes you have to go first!!!!!!!!! I know, I did on the 1300, I was the first darksider ever on the VTX1300. It took me three tires to find what would work and what wouldn't, so I feel your pain! But it's all worth it. Let us know how it comes out?

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Try this, measure inside the swingarms then cut a stick that length and move it around under the fender and everywhere the tire will be if it rubs and can't be moved or shortened then cut the stick shorter until you have the MAX width .
Then you measure the height of your tire (mine was 25") and you have the third measurement is the rim. now go to the tire sites and look in the specs. that will tell you the width, height get as close as you can for MAX or skinner if you want to .
I hope this helped, good luck, Horse

Last edited by horseman8m on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  darkstar Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:45 pm

great idea,
i would like to do the wide thing, it just looks too cool
well that trick would let me know just how wide i can go,

but i hope its bout 20/30 k before i have to buy another tire!

I think i am going to like this dark side!

dark star

darkstar

Back to top Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty got my tire

Post  darkstar Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:42 am

well i got my tire, 165/80/15
ballanced the rim using soder? around the spokes , works good
checked my tube an valve, got the rubber around the rim,its old an dry rotted so i inforced it with duct tape,
got it all greased up with veg oil an fought it on the first half, put in the tube an got it ready, I realy got it slick, i am going to have to have some help holding it down to work the top side over the rim, its that slick!
ran out of time , had to shower an go to work,

life is in my way again tommrow an it will be late firday night or saturday before i can get the job done an go for a test ride, but,,,, it looks like a good thing
I cant wait! my boss has a roadstar, an is watching me to find out if it is for him,
he was my bud before he was a boss so its cool,
any body notice the price of tires?? they are doubled in the last couple days,
a mt tire the 404 dun, is bout 140$ gee? whats up with that? all the gas we save is going to tires,
i think alot of bikers an motorcyclest will be coming to the dark side faster then ya think!

I will keep ya posted
darkstar

darkstar

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:02 pm

send your boss our web site address:
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/index.htm
and have him take a look around .
And welcome to the Darkside friend

Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  darkstar Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:07 pm

my boss is the one that put me on to you guys!
he bought tires a couple weekes ago an borrowed my harborfreight changer to put them on,
when i told hme how much tires were he was shocked,
he must have gotten his just before a price increase,
I am sure he will be coming over soon, he puts down alot more miles than i do,

he has a 06 roadstar 1800 an eatin tires fast,

I am going to dinner with family an then i get to play in the garage

keep yal posted
darkstar

darkstar

Back to top Go down

Post  darkstar Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:29 pm

well i got my tire on, after a couple trys,, iam not sure if this is going to work,
i have blown up the tire a dozen time now an can not get it to bead,
use every thing you can think of to slick it up, the last was spray cooking oil

i even sat on the thing! talk bout brave! or stupid,

got it settin in the sun with a 100 lb of air in it! well its realy cloudy here, but the tire is warming up, i heard a pop when i sat down to wright this an the disk side of the tire has pop! seating good, not the drive side, needs bout an 1/4 to go,
if it was realy sunny it would pop on i am sure,

read somwhere that you could put the tire on an spin it up to hight r's an it would centrificly set? thats alot of work to put it on then pull it off to balance it,
s o i ordered the dyna beeds, hear alot bout them, worth the try,
iam now into this dark thing for two tires, an the beeds,
i sure hope it pays off for me, i could have got a dunny for this money!

90 % of my miles are on the big road going to work, s o i have hight hopes ,

thanks for lettin me vent!

darkstar

darkstar

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:23 pm

i personal don't like the Dunlap tires i got a Korean tire for $49. and i only put about 80 psi in it and the bead set, and yes there is someone that put the tire on the bike and while it was on the stand started it up and let it spin to seat the bead and he had spoke wheels too. so let us know how it goes, good luck , Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:53 pm

If the inside of your tire is dry, the dynabeads will work. If you got some oil in them, youi need to wait 500 miles.

Let us know how this works out. Several folks have spun seated their tires with success.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:32 am

The beads should work good in your tube.... I hope you get it seated soon so you can take it out on the road, just make sure you wash all that slick stuff off before you mount it. The tires are slick enough from the mold release with out all that oil.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty give up for now ,,,,

Post  darkstar Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:22 pm

well i give up for now, i need my bike back, its been 2 weeks, 2 tires, one tube an a dent in my rim, an i still havent got the tire to bead,
i set it in the sun with bout 100 lbs of air an waited for it to seat,
i heard it pop inside the house! cool! went out an looked an it was on on one side of the rim, so i waited alittle bit later an pop went the tube!! damn!

so i took it back off , an cleaned up the rim, got it ready again an order an dunny an tube, I need my bike , its my transportation, 56 miles a night,
I will try again in the cold days ahead, but for now, i need the gas milage, push a 150 4x4 250 miles a week,an you will understand how bad i need to be scootin!

so till later guys, i will have to be here in the light for just alittle longer,

any sugestion would be helpfull, for the future .

thanks guys for all the imputs,
I think i will keep the name! ( DARKSTAR )if yall dont mind!

mike 2000 vstar 1100 classic

darkstar

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:36 pm

darkstar wrote:well i give up for now, i need my bike back, its been 2 weeks, 2 tires, one tube an a dent in my rim, an i still havent got the tire to bead,
i set it in the sun with bout 100 lbs of air an waited for it to seat,
i heard it pop inside the house! cool! went out an looked an it was on on one side of the rim, so i waited alittle bit later an pop went the tube!! damn!

so i took it back off , an cleaned up the rim, got it ready again an order an dunny an tube, I need my bike , its my transportation, 56 miles a night,
I will try again in the cold days ahead, but for now, i need the gas milage, push a 150 4x4 250 miles a week,an you will understand how bad i need to be scootin!

so till later guys, i will have to be here in the light for just alittle longer,

any sugestion would be helpfull, for the future .

thanks guys for all the imputs,
I think i will keep the name! ( DARKSTAR )if yall dont mind!

mike 2000 vstar 1100 classic

Sure man keep the name! But I am so sorry you couldn't get it mounted. I wish I was closer, I could help!

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  VegasVic Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:18 pm

Here's a tire in the size you're looking for: found it on tire rack. I may put it on my 01 RSV once I check that it will fit.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=165%2F&ratio=80&diameter=15&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=56&y=5&RunFlat=All

VegasVic

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Back to top Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty Just put a CT on my VSTAR

Post  Jdude Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:22 pm

I just put a Yokohama 185 65 15 on my 2007 VStar 1100. I bought the tire at NTB for $63. I paid a motorcycle shop to remove the mc tire and mount the ct. They had a total of 100 psi and could not set the bead. I took the tire to a truck stop that was running about 135 psi with a tire cage. I lubed the tire up a whole bunch and put about 60 psi in it. The shop worker began bouncing the tire for a short time and returned the tire to the cage. We aired the tire to 80 psi and continued bouncing. we ran the tire up to 120 and beaded one side. I deflated the tire and did it all over again seating both sides of the tire. There is plenty of fender room with it installed. I will need to buy another tire in hopefully 45,000 miles.

Jdude

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:53 am

Hey JDude ... just wanted to remind you that at around 10K miles, you need to take the tire off and re-lube the splines on your shaft drive. That is the one thing that won't last 45,000 miles.

Thanks for the info! I've got 1 friend who put on that tire because you said you had done it, and another one that is about to follow suite. Thanks for pioneering it for the yamaha group. (I'm not over here much, so I apologize if there was someone else who did it first and I don't know about it).
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty Yamaha Vstar 1100

Post  Bobster113 Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:24 pm

I used the closest tire size for the bike....

I Ride a Stratoliner & the closest tire size i could come to was a 215/60/17... my factory tire size is 190/60/17.... It worked just fine....
Bobster113
Bobster113

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Was thinking about trying a 205-65-15 or a 205-70-15 on the wifes v-star.
dont know if there is room under or not, probley going to try in this winter, it has a 4in. rim on it.
Anyone with a car tire on their 1100s think it will fit??????????

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty tire size for 2007 v-star

Post  bertacus Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Hey, I just mounted an Ultimax 190-65R-15 on my spoked rim. Sealed rim myself using Scotch tape, 2 rolls of wet electical tape, buy at lowes, roll this over the spoke nipples, then seal entire center ridge of rim and electrical taple with PL Ultimate sealer/adhesive. You can get this at lowes also. Sorry, forgot to mention the first step is to sand all the areas in the ridge to roughen up the smooth surface for the adhesive to stick to. I had to drill out the valve stem hole to put in another valve stem. Apply adhesive with applicator cut out to almost the same shape as the ridge. I used plastic packaging from I-pod player, almost anything like this will work. Apply evenly over 1/8 inch all around ridge, wait 2-3 days to dry and mount tire as normal. No tube, and you can plug like regular car tire. I mounted tire with dish soap and water by hand with crowbar. Took 100 lbs to seat bead. Warmed tire up first in sun in my truck interior for a couple hours first. Had to pound on sidewall several times to seat. Let air out and re-apply soapy water (not a lot, just wet) and try again. Works great eventually. Hope this helps others wishing to seal their own tube type rims. Jam on!

bertacus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

yamaha 1100 classic vstar tire size Empty New to the forum

Post  Tucci Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Hello everyone, some of you know me from the YMF...I'm Tucci and Dark is how I roll! I had the same problem getting my Altimax to get past the inner ring. It kept trying to partially seat on the dang thing. Finally a resourceful individual got it to slide past the ridge by gooping it up with foamy engine degreaser. Has anyone tried grinding down that ridge, I could of got it to seat with 35#s if it wasn't for that? Look forward to getting to know everybody, as soon as I learn how to post pics I will show you a wicked custom darksider patch I had made up!
Tucci
Tucci

Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next