Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Never, ever, give up!! Follow up to: I give up!!!! kinda long....

+2
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Zman
6 posters

Go down

Never, ever, give up!!  Follow up to: I give up!!!!  kinda long.... Empty Never, ever, give up!! Follow up to: I give up!!!! kinda long....

Post  Zman Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:28 pm

OK here is what happened today. I took the morning off to have the CT mounted. Drove 50 miles to the dealer and was there when they opened at 9. I told them what I wanted and signed the work order. I figure I will be out of there in an hour or so. I meander around the show room looking at their bikes. 1 hour and 45 minutes later it is still not done. I go to McDonalds for something to eat and come back 1/2 hour later. They have the tire mounted but can't get it to seat. They only charge me for the tube and say maybe a tire dealer can get it to seat.

I call into work and take the rest of the day off. I decide to take it home to the dealer that I bought the tire. He can't get it to seat either. I take it home and pump it up to over 100 psi, put it on the bike and take it up to 5th gear, wide open. No luck. I start to think about grinding on my wheel to make it seat easier. Then I rethink that idea, why mess up an expensive rim on a cheap tire.

I figure since this tire has gotten chewed up where it meets the rim from being taken on and off so much and that it is obviously not gong to seat up. I grab a pairing knife and start trimming. Yes, I am trimming the inside of the tire. Shocked I then take a small grinding stone and smooth it down. I remount it with the new tube and one side seats at about 70 psi and the other side seats at about 80 psi!!!!! Very Happy

I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. I will be getting Dyna Beads for balancing. Will trimming the inside of the tire affect anything other than balancing? I will watch it for the first 200 miles or so. I have an all in town commute so I will stay away from highway speeds for awhile, at least until I get used to the CT.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I will try and get a pic soon. Smile

Zman

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Never, ever, give up!!  Follow up to: I give up!!!!  kinda long.... Empty Re: Never, ever, give up!! Follow up to: I give up!!!! kinda long....

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:36 pm

That just sounds dangerous.
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Never, ever, give up!!  Follow up to: I give up!!!!  kinda long.... Empty Re: Never, ever, give up!! Follow up to: I give up!!!! kinda long....

Post  gstanfield Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:56 pm

that's what everyone else said about running a CT on a bike Shocked
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 pm

True....But I stand by my statement " That just sounds dangerous " Never, ever, give up!!  Follow up to: I give up!!!!  kinda long.... IMG_1322
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:13 am

What? Running on an unbeaded tire? A Harrowing experience... What a Face

Did you trim/grind the inner circumference or the bead surface? i might have gotten the falken on if I'd tried this. If it takes 70 psi to seat, I'd say you are save. Dynabeads should take care of any balancing problems caused by the trimming...not sure this would be much of a problem anyway.

Thanks for the post. Send pics of your installed tire!

Never give up! Never Surrender!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:29 am

Cutting away part of the beading surface take a braver person than I......

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Never, ever, give up!!  Follow up to: I give up!!!!  kinda long.... Empty RE NEVER GIVE UP

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:48 am

BE VERY CAREFUL , HAVE SEEN TIRES SPLIT AWAY FROM BEAD WHEN INNER SURFACE IS CHEWED UP. (ON A CAR) .ONLY YOU KNOW HOW MUCH YOU CUT AWAY. I WOULDN'T BET MY LIFE ON IT FOR THE PRICE OF A TIRE. ABOVE ALL RIDE SAFE LARRY S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Zman Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:06 am

I cut/ground maybe 1/8 of an inch off the inner circumference of the tire. I left the actual beading surface itself alone. With running a tube, I do not need a real smooth inner circumference to hold air. On my ride into work this am I did not notice any out of balance feeling. It rode about like my old worn out MT as far as tracking/turning. In fact see the post of pics and the CT has about the same profile as the worn MT.

Zman

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Never, ever, give up!!  Follow up to: I give up!!!!  kinda long.... Empty RE NEVER GIVE UP

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 pm

THE SMOOTH SURFACE WITH A TUBE WASN'T WORRING ME .WHEN YOU CUT OR GRIND AWAY INSIDE RUBBER ,YOU LESSEN THE STRENGTH OF THE RUBBER HOLDING SIDEWALL TO STEEL WIRE . GOOD LUCK LARRY S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum