Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally killed my Douglas

4 posters

Go down

Finally killed my Douglas Empty Finally killed my Douglas

Post  Hudi Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:47 am

Well after 11k miles it finally needed replaced. I had a wobble that I couldn't figure out. Well it was the tire. It had about 1/8" of tread left in the middle. When I took it off, it seemed to actually have a slight cup to it. The wear wasnt exactly the same around the tire. Even when I rolled it, it had a wobble. I replaced it with another Douglas because I had one laying around. Now it runs like heaven again. So if any of you seem like you lost some handling even though there is a little tread left, it just might be the tire. I do have a question though. I got the stealer to mount and balance it (I took wheel and tire off myself), what are the pros and cons for leaving the weights on plus beads? My thinking is, wouldn't a well balanced tire (weights) plus beads really make a true balanced tire? Or should I take the weights off? Explain. I dont care about the look of them, I just want the best performance. Thanks.

Hudi

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

Finally killed my Douglas Empty Re: Finally killed my Douglas

Post  twin1300 Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:50 pm

The pros and cons are that as any tire wears the dyna beads adjust to the wear and keep you balance! For me...... it's "air soft pellets"...ahhh I mean dyna beads for all you people who aren't adventurous.......... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks Twin, I understand it known. I never thought about after the tires wears some, it loses it balance and the weights that were on there will no longer be effective. The beads will always keep it balanced. It is Mr. Twin for now on. One more question while we are on the topic, can you reuse the beads? I figure you can, but if I take it to the stealer to change, will they reuse them? Ride safe

Hudi

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:25 pm

Not sure if the dealer will keep them or not. But, I've found that they always put some lub on the tire to get them on and the beads stick to this. so, I use stick on lead weights for the first 500 miles - until this lube dries out.

Let us know if they will save the beads for you.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:40 pm

On my 150-17 front tire I had, I had to rebalance it after about 9 or 10k. The tire lasted so long, I couldnt beleave it. I use weights and I also habve dyna beads. Most of the ct s havent taken any or very little weight. Also, the rear is not near as important as the front. I start getting a hop or bounce bounce in the front, and thats why I had to rebalcnce it, but now if I have to I can just put the beads in.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:08 am

Hudi wrote:Thanks Twin, I understand it known. I never thought about after the tires wears some, it loses it balance and the weights that were on there will no longer be effective. The beads will always keep it balanced. It is Mr. Twin for now on. One more question while we are on the topic, can you reuse the beads? I figure you can, but if I take it to the stealer to change, will they reuse them? Ride safe

Yes...when you lose rubber the weights aren't correct now!... Very Happy Secondly you can re-use dyna beads.

But if you use "air soft pellets".....who cares whether they re-use them. You get a whole jar of them for the price of a few oz. of dyna beads. Just add some more. Except you have to put them in at the mounting, they will NOT go thru the valve stem.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:02 pm

Well I took the weights off and inserted the beads in both tires. It handles better than ever now. I just need to purchase my own tire changing setup so I don't have to take it to the stealers. I should have bought one from the start because it would have been paid off by now from all the $$$ I gave to them crooks. For me, 41 psi in front 880 and 38 in the Douglas. In 17k miles, my bike runs and handles better than ever and I am happy. Thanks to all here. Now all I need is some better weather here in SW PA.

Hudi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down