Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet?

+10
Poppawolf
Steve-O
smokey2255
horseman8m
Dapper
twin1300
jedishon
Badmoon
wayne
docbiggles
14 posters

Go down

How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet? Empty How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet?

Post  docbiggles Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi guys just a quick question, I used the search feature but was unable to find the solution.

How well do the C/T's handle the corners/twisties in the wet?

I ride aggressively and this is a question that has been nagging me in the back of my mind.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Doc.
docbiggles
docbiggles

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-06-17

http://www.docbiggles.webs.com

Back to top Go down

How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet? Empty Re: How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet?

Post  wayne Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:47 pm

100% better than a mc tire.
You still have to be carefull, I have had a mc tire break loose on me in a turn, scared the $heet out of me, but I have never had the ct break loose.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet? Empty Re: How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet?

Post  Badmoon Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Night and day.
CT does better. The MT put a button hole in my seat and I heard a suckin sound.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:15 pm

Badmoon wrote:Night and day.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 am

Had it slide out on me once because of locking it up in the rain. Would have been down on a mt but I got off the brake and it straightened right up and jumped behind me where it belonged. I'll take a ct any time in any situation, with my cruiser.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:17 am

Badmoon wrote:Night and day.

Yep! Bwwhahahaha I had to have a cone hammer also riding the mt! Hated the motorcycle tire in the dry and in the wet...it scared me to death! The car tire....NOT ONE TIME! Of course I feel safer in the wet, twisties and panic stops! That's what sold me on the car tire the first time I got caught in the rain!

................................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Dapper Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Because a lot of you have posted about your like of the CT, what type of wear are you seeing on the edge as you near to 8000-10000 mark. Are there any out there that can report on this?
Dapper
Dapper

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:05 pm

I got over 5000 and no ware so far , hardly looks like it has been used yet.
My factory Dungcrap tire didn't last much over 5000 .
I know this is a cheap Korean made $44. tire and i already got my money out of it
and it is just starting to roll.
I like to do it myself so tire change and balance , removal and install , all save time and money.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Dapper wrote:Because a lot of you have posted about your like of the CT, what type of wear are you seeing on the edge as you near to 8000-10000 mark. Are there any out there that can report on this?

Dapper, I have wore out 2 darkside tires, the first a khumo powerstar wore out at 11k, the second a toyo proxxes tpt4 wore out at 17k, both tires wore out pretty evenly across the tread line. with a slight more wear in the center of the tire. Maybe a 1/32 inch. or so.

Dont let the insurance BSers hold you back from the darkside. There have been plenty of claims made on the darkside and it is a non isssue.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Agree. No special wear pattern....worn a bit more in the middle. Edges still curved..maybe a tad more than when I put it on. I'll take a picture of it when I change it this summer. My kumho had no special wear pattern when I pulled it off last year.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  docbiggles Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:32 am

Ok thanks for the replies guys. Now another question.........how many R3 riders can make the same replies though?

Reason I am asking is that on both the 109 and the R3 we're running 240+ size tyres and that gives us a rather squared off edge.

Comments form R3 riders............

Cheers

Doc.
docbiggles
docbiggles

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:31 am

R3? is that Rapid Runway Repair ???????????????????????????????

Very Happy Laughing Smile
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppawolf Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:40 am

horseman8m wrote:R3? is that Rapid Runway Repair ???????????????????????????????

Horse

Back in my Air Force days that was Remove, Repair, Re-install.

Db
Poppawolf
Poppawolf

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:27 pm

we used to say " R2" or R-squared (removed and replaced) in the aircraft forms .
in the civilian world it is an "I certify" statement.
old war Horses like us don't grow old , we just get put out to pasture. Very Happy Smile Laughing
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:00 pm

horseman8m wrote:R3? is that Rapid Runway Repair ???????????????????????????????

Horse
if your familiar with RRR then are you familiar with AM-2 or PIFFM matting? brings back memorys of my years with Red horse.

as long as this thread was going out in left field. I thought i would tag along. What a Face What a Face Very Happy Griz
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed sorry for hijacking Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSSMAN2677 Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:12 pm

I have the Federal 595 225/45-17, on my Warrior. It is pretty square. I have approx 3,000 miles on it so far. In the begining it felt weird. Around corners I could feel it rise on the edge. Now the edges have worn down, and i love it. I have never lost traction in the rain. I live in Florida, and get rained on every day in the summer. The bike is only 1 year old, and I went through 3 mc tires in that year. I dont think that I will ever go back.
BOSSMAN2677
BOSSMAN2677

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  docbiggles Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Horse

Downunder we call the Rocket III an R3 or it means R**ting, Resting-N-Riding, but for this question I was more inclined to go with the former rather than the latter.

Thanks Bossman, don't suppose you have a picture of the amount of wear on the edge do you?

Cheers

Doc.

Last edited by docbiggles on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cos' I can.)
docbiggles
docbiggles

Back to top Go down

Post  spud1800r Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:08 pm

went to Laconia, NH rally last week, got caught in the rain on I-93. Never backed off, 90mph in the pouring rain. F-in sweet!!
Did the Dragon on the CT last year, way better than a mt.
Craig
spud1800r
spud1800r

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  onei Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:37 am

Dapper wrote:Because a lot of you have posted about your like of the CT, what type of wear are you seeing on the edge as you near to 8000-10000 mark. Are there any out there that can report on this?

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow (Sunday) of both tread and edges for you. I have just over 7,000 on mine. I can tell you that it still looks new and this after riding in the ROT Rally parade this past weekend and doing about 10 burnouts. It was an adrenaline rush. I smoked the tired in second gear and left about a 50' mark on the road, right in front of a traffic cop. This is the only time you can get away with something like that. 🐰
onei
onei

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:32 am

BOSSMAN2677 wrote:I have the Federal 595 225/45-17, on my Warrior. It is pretty square. I have approx 3,000 miles on it so far. In the begining it felt weird. Around corners I could feel it rise on the edge. Now the edges have worn down, and i love it. I have never lost traction in the rain. I live in Florida, and get rained on every day in the summer. The bike is only 1 year old, and I went through 3 mc tires in that year. I dont think that I will ever go back.

BOSSMAN,

Awesome looking tire on your Warrior! Thanks for coming and posting!

.....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  onei Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:05 pm

onei wrote:

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow (Sunday) of both tread and edges for you. I have just over 7,000 on mine. I can tell you that it still looks new and this after riding in the ROT Rally parade this past weekend and doing about 10 burnouts. It was an adrenaline rush. I smoked the tired in second gear and left about a 50' mark on the road, right in front of a traffic cop. This is the only time you can get away with something like that. 🐰

Alright, here are the pics. One day late, but hey...... What a Face

Here is one of the right edge. I'm leaning both ways everyday on my way to and from work so both sides are wearing the same
How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet? Img_0112

This is the left edge...
How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet? Img_0111

Then I wiped the debris off the tire for this last show, so it looks a lot cleaner. :-)
How well do the C/T handle the twisties in the wet? Img_0110

As you can see after 7,000+ miles you can hardly tell that it is used. There is still a lot of meat left on this tire. Again, I've hit the twisties pretty hard (peg scraping and all), ridden in the wet, pouring rain, fog, wind, heat, etc. This tire sticks like glue.
onei
onei

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  docbiggles Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks for the pics Brad. Looks like you get it over fairly well without hassles.

Cheers

Doc.
docbiggles
docbiggles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down