Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailer towing with a ct -wearing/cupping?

+3
twin1300
robw
Knutty03
7 posters

Go down

Trailer towing with a ct -wearing/cupping? Empty Trailer towing with a ct -wearing/cupping?

Post  Knutty03 Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:11 pm

Those of us that tow a trailer with the wing, know the cupping problem with a mc tire. Has anyone towed with a ct and what are the results? Less cupping, no cupping, or something else (like more miles on the tire w/o cupping showing)???

Knutty03

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Back to top Go down

Trailer towing with a ct -wearing/cupping? Empty Re: Trailer towing with a ct -wearing/cupping?

Post  robw Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:26 pm

I towed my trailer 4,000 miles last summer with no problems. My tire had about 3000 on it at the time.
I also towed my trailer countless miles with Dunlop MT's and never had cupping. Just make sure you are vigilant about checking tire pressure.
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Trailer towing with a ct -wearing/cupping? Empty Re: Trailer towing with a ct -wearing/cupping?

Post  twin1300 Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:52 pm

I have owned many bikes.....and always had a mt cup on me. Some worse and some hardly any (Bridgestone S11 Spitfire was the best for me on NOT cupping), but cupped none the less and always had the correct air pressure in them. I only cup the front tire because I run a darkside on the back...hehehehehe!

As far the rear cupping a car tire! We have never seen that...ever! Now some guys have just went to the car tire that own trailers, but no reports yet of cupping.

............................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:18 am

As above posts have stated, no cupping eva with the c/t. We pull a Bushtec and have put a lot of miles on the rig and never saw a cupping rear c/t. Good stuff Very Happy . Semper-fi Mike

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Meteor Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:07 pm

I towed an Aspen Classic (550-600 lbs) behind my 2002 GL1800 for over 11,000 miles last summer with a 205/55R16 Continental ContiProContact inflated to 33PSI mounted on the rear without any cupping evident at all. I replaced that tire in February of this year after 18,500 miles. I could have easily ridden another 1500 miles to make it an even 20,000 but I was anxious to try another tire.
Mad Meteor
Mad Meteor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  biker1usa Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:56 pm

Been towing for 4 years now with a car tire on the rear with no problems of any kind. I tow a camper which I sometimes hook a cargo trailer to it for more junk storage. Have the second car tire on my 04 Wing and will never put another M/C tire on the rear again. I had 37,000 miles on the first car tire and have just about 3,000 on the second right now. Very Happy
biker1usa
biker1usa

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  robw Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:45 pm

biker1 - Which tire are you running?
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  biker1usa Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:42 pm

I am right now running a Kumho 195-50-16, the first tire was a Toyo Proxis 4 same size. The Kumho has so far been a much nicer riding tire and seems to be more responsive when turning and stopping. Running 38 psi rear and 41 front.
biker1usa
biker1usa

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  cck560 Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:39 pm

I pulled a trailer all last summer and did so with a Kuhmo run flat. I ran it down below the wear bars and had only minor cupping. I say minor because I needed to get very close to see the cupping on the much greater number of and much finer grooves. I would classify it as no cupping in contrast to the Dunlop E-3’s and Bridgestgones 709’s I have run through this bike. It is a good tire for over the road work to be sure.
Clay

cck560

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down