Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grabber to Triple Tread

+9
Larry Simpson
Badmoon
twin1300
NeonLeon
jedishon
flyingstick
kermit
Poppawolf
willdc
13 posters

Go down

Grabber to Triple Tread Empty Grabber to Triple Tread

Post  willdc Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 am

Been riding the Grabber for about 9 months now and life has been good. Until a few days ago, I was replacing a broken bolt to my saddle bags when I noticed a large bump on the side of the Grabber. The bump went from the wheel all the way out to the tread. Needless to say, the grabber was history. Went to all the local tire places and couldn't find a grabber anywhere, so I opted for the triple tread. More expensive tire and about the same difficulty level getting it mounted on the rim but looks just as good as the grabber on the bike. Both tires are 205/70R15.

So far I have ridden about 150 miles and I have observed the following...
-The triple tread is a little softer ride than the grabber. Not as harsh on the ridiculous virginia highways.
-Grip is excellent, as good as the grabber.
-The high speed wobble I had with the grabber (defective tire?) is not there with the triple tread. At least up to 90, havent gone beyond that yet.

So far very happy with the Triple tread. Highly recommend it.

Anyone know where to get the wheel weights for the R mag?

Last edited by willdc on Sun May 24, 2009 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added question at end)

willdc

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Grabber to Triple Tread Empty Re: Grabber to Triple Tread

Post  Poppawolf Sun May 24, 2009 8:56 am

Just go with the Dyna Beads for the weights. You can get them on line and add them through the valve stem and be rid of the lead. Good Luck with the new tire.

Db
Poppawolf
Poppawolf

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:58 pm

I almost went with the grabber, then I saw the tripletred and it was love at first site. I've had mine on for about 6 months now and it's great.
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  flyingstick Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:51 pm

I have to agree. I looked at a lot of tires, but when I saw the TT I knew it was what I wanted. It was a little more expensive than other tires but I've learned to get what you want the first time. I got tired of settling for less. I liked the grabber. I just liked the TT better, plus I don't think the grabber was offered in the 205/65/15 and I was hoping for a little lowering.
flyingstick
flyingstick

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:12 pm

willdc wrote:Been riding the Grabber for about 9 months now and life has been good. Until a few days ago, I was replacing a broken bolt to my saddle bags when I noticed a large bump on the side of the Grabber. The bump went from the wheel all the way out to the tread. Needless to say, the grabber was history. Went to all the local tire places and couldn't find a grabber anywhere, so I opted for the triple tread. More expensive tire and about the same difficulty level getting it mounted on the rim but looks just as good as the grabber on the bike. Both tires are 205/70R15.

So far I have ridden about 150 miles and I have observed the following...
-The triple tread is a little softer ride than the grabber. Not as harsh on the ridiculous virginia highways.
-Grip is excellent, as good as the grabber.
-The high speed wobble I had with the grabber (defective tire?) is not there with the triple tread. At least up to 90, havent gone beyond that yet.

So far very happy with the Triple tread. Highly recommend it.

Anyone know where to get the wheel weights for the R mag?

The General Grabber is made for light trucks, hense the stiffer sidewalls...... Thanks for the comparrison. Looks like I have a few thousand left on the Douglas and I'll be looking. I did notice at a higher psi the center of the tire wears faster. I lowered mine down to 35 and its a lot softer ride. Might even try 32 tonight and see what thats like. Still learning the tire and I've got 23,000 miles on it. Crazy aint it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  NeonLeon Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Mounted my first ct yesterday and went with the TT. I really like the ride. It's so much smoother than the old Dunny. I saw the pics of Kermit's bike and that made my mind up for me.
NeonLeon
NeonLeon

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:04 am

NeonLeon wrote:Mounted my first ct yesterday and went with the TT. I really like the ride. It's so much smoother than the old Dunny. I saw the pics of Kermit's bike and that made my mind up for me.

aaahhh! Baloney....you know you wanted to be just like me............ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Tell the truth Len?.... affraid

.............................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:32 am

That is what Im screamin. Thanks for the info.
Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  NeonLeon Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Ooooooooooh k .... you are my hero Bobby ... I can't help it bro! Rolling Eyes
NeonLeon
NeonLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Grabber to Triple Tread Empty re grabber to tripple tread

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Ooooooooh get a room Laughing Laughing Laughing
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  footprintsinconc Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:58 pm

i just noticed today that the GYTT is a T rated tire and the grabber is a H rated tire. i believe the original spec is a H rated. so does the lower rating on the GYTT need to be considered?
footprintsinconc
footprintsinconc

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:25 pm

The tires will handle what ever you want to throw at it.
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  NeonLeon Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:57 am

These are the specs on the GYTT:

80,000 miles

Key Features
Type: Passenger-Highway
Sidewall Cosmetics: Black wall, solid line and outline Black
Temperature Rating: B
Traction: A
Speed Rating: T (118 mph)
Load Index: 95 (1521 lbs.)
Weather: All Season
M+S: Y
Load Range: S2
Learn more about these features
Description
Assurance featuring TripleTred Technology is built for Luxury and Mid-Value consumers who desire ultimate tracion in ANY weather condition.
Understanding Key Features
Temperature ratings — The letter signifies how well a tire resists heat: A — best, B — intermediate, C — acceptable.
Traction — Letters indicate how well a tire will grip the road surface. Each tire is rated AA, A, B, or C. An AA-rated tire offers the maximum grip.
Speed ratings — The letter designates the maximum speed in miles per hour under specific service conditions: M — 81, N — 87, P — 93, Q — 100, R — 106, S — 112, T — 118, H — 130, V — 149, W — 168, Y — 186
Load indexes — A number that corresponds to the weight that the tire can accommodate. Some examples are: 74 — 827 pounds, 81 — 1019 pounds, 95 - 1521 pounds, 105 — 2039 pounds, 113 — 2535 pounds, 120 — 3086 pounds, 124 — 3527 pounds, 129 — 4079 pounds, 133 — 4541 pounds, 137 — 5071 pounds, 140 — 5512 pounds, 143 — 6008 pounds, 146 — 6614 pounds, 149 — 7165 pounds
NeonLeon
NeonLeon

Back to top Go down

Post  willdc Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Been riding the triple tread about 800 miles now, just gets better and better. Still no wobble at any speed, and smooth even on fairly rough roads. I'm gonna really put it to the test in a couple weeks. Taking the bike to the new house in Fort Worth. About 1500 miles to get there and may stop for some "dragon" site seeing along the way. Should be fun.
Anyone know where to get a cheap mount for a GPS?

willdc

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:44 am

here is a GPS mount ,

I was looking for a handlebar mount that I could use on a lot of things , like a camera , adding a switchbox, a gps, a tachometer
or just about anything you could think of that you would want on your bars. well there was not a single mount that is made to do all that , mater of fact each item had its own mount you could by for $40.00 to $60.00 , ouch .
ON with the hunt , you see i am an avid hunter and was a gunsmith, so why not use 1" scope rings around the handlebars and the bases as the mount bracket to whatever you want to mount. they are good looking , cheap $6.00 for two rings and $5.00 for two bases and if you look on ebay you might find them cheaper, and best of all they are universal, you can mount anything on your bars and it looks good.

I like the weaver mounts (cheap and very strong)

Grabber to Triple Tread P2260056

Drill 1/4" hole in the base

Grabber to Triple Tread P2260060

(NOTE: i like to use stainless steel bolts these are license plate bolts from wal=mart 4 for 1.87 w/ nuts)

Grind the head of a 1/4" bolt to make it flatter and two side to fit in the channel of the base. make sure that the top of the head of the bolt is below the top or the mount flats and doesn't block the notches of the base as this will keep the rings from seating . now a flat washer and nut and tighten .

Grabber to Triple Tread P2260063

screw the bracket to the bottom of your cam (tach.. whatever) add washers to make it 90 degrees from the way you want it to face .

Grabber to Triple Tread P2260066

your rings came with an allen wrench so take out the screws and mount the rings to the handlebars where you want it and tighten the ring to the bars then loosen the big slotted nut on the ring and place the base/bracket and tighten the slotted nut. now adjust the rings with the allen wrench to get the view you want or where you want it.

Grabber to Triple Tread P2260072

In the picture below if you look close near the left clutch bracket you will see a mount painted with chrome paint and a switchbox for my aug. lights.

Grabber to Triple Tread Mounts-both
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Grabber to Triple Tread Empty tire

Post  tallbill17 Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:51 pm

I have the TT also how many ozs. of dyna beads are you putting in yours? Im getting a wobble at about 75 mph. so Im thinking maybe I need more then 3 ozs of dynabeads...
tallbill17
tallbill17

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:51 pm

I went with 4 in the back. Don't know that I needed them, but it sure rides good.
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Grabber to Triple Tread Empty Grabber

Post  starider Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:43 pm

My buddy talked me out of buying Grabbers after he told me his delaminated on his Honda Accord.
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down