Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire brands: which one is best?

5 posters

Go down

Tire brands: which one is best? Empty Tire brands: which one is best?

Post  Francesco Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Everyone,
let me first tell you that this is a great site with a lot of great info about bikes, and great people.
I am not going to ask if putting a CT tire on my bike will kill me because I did a lot of research (that's what I do for a living!!) and a car tire actually under an engineering point of view perform better than a MT, b/c of the profile and the dynamic between the tire and the pavement...etc etc.
Don't mean to give a lecture on this although I will be happy to share my findings with whoever wants more details on it.

I will get to the point: I have a 2003 honda shadow 750 with spoked rims and my understanding is that using a 165/80/15 with tube is the ticket.
I found several options from a site
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&cart_id=12088771.135.4364&Cookie=froogle&m_s=3&tyre_for=PKWGAN&s_p=All-Season_Tires that seems reputable.
Which tire is the best? the kuhmo seems the most widely used but there are other options that have good reviews. The federal has a good review ( for car), a little better than kuhmo, but it is on the list of tires that may blow up during installation on a bike.

What do you guys think? which one would you suggest?

Thank you

Francesco

Francesco

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Tire brands: which one is best? Empty Re: Tire brands: which one is best?

Post  jedishon Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:31 pm

I would go with a tried and true tire for my first one.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:28 am

jedishon wrote:I would go with a tried and true tire for my first one.

Jerry

+1... stay away from potential explosions... if your rims and the tires are like the other spoke rims I've read about it take much higher pressures to seat the bead...

and welcome.

I'd love to hear what you have come up with technically about it... Very Happy
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:31 am

Kuhmo has been the tire of choice because it is so widely available. Welcome to our site!

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:54 am

I agree with tried and etc ,,,but, It seems to me that any brand is a potential blow up, I run the federal, however it has been noted to have blown, but didn't someone post the other day about their goodyear tt blowing on them.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here, and the federal tire,or kuhmo 165/65/15 (the size) works great, and you couldn't convince me to go back to the m/c tire.

The failure of any tire is a possibility, I think it is a rare occasion that it has been noted by any two of us here that have had a multiple failure on any brand. It is I think a case of where "s----(stuff)happens.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Francesco Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Thank you guys for your welcome and great inputs, I already ordered a kumho, and found a motorcycle shop here in MI whose owner is willing to mount it for me (he actually rides the darkside). Hopefully the tire will be here soon, so i can test ride it in the cold as well, and see if it handles better ( I think it will!)

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thx

Francesco

Francesco

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Francesco wrote:Thank you guys for your welcome and great inputs, I already ordered a kumho, and found a motorcycle shop here in MI whose owner is willing to mount it for me (he actually rides the darkside). Hopefully the tire will be here soon, so i can test ride it in the cold as well, and see if it handles better ( I think it will!)

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thx

Francesco

Make sure they lube it enough all the way up to the lettering and plenty of it! That might have been the problem with the tire ripping open.

........................twin

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down