Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wouldn't go

+10
Doc Rogers
wayne
Spuddaddy
quadancer
RonK
Otis56
cerooth
daves1300s
twin1300
Smoken'JOE
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

wouldn't go Empty wouldn't go

Post  Smoken'JOE Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:20 am

My Bro Ace and I tried putting on a Potenza 195-65-15 on spoke rim. We got it mounted and we couldn't get it to pop. Had 100# in there 3 different times, still no go. Soaped the he!! out of it and it just wouldn't pop. We were so disappointed. Wound up taking it off and returning it and putting a Dunnie 404 back on. We know others have done this with success but ours would not go. The guy putting the tire on at the dealership said next time get a wider inner tube to help it put more pressure on the side walls to pop on.

Any ideas or suggestions for nest time?????????
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

wouldn't go Empty Re: wouldn't go

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:24 am

Well.....for one! If you are willing to try tires that no one on here has tried, that will happen. I95/65/15 will have a stiffer side wall because it's sidewalls are shorter! Most guys install the 165/80/15 on spoke rim and just a few have done the 205/70 with spokes!

That's why it's important to do the tried and true tires that others have done with success! The 205 guys who have successful done the spoke rim have gotten very creative to mount one. Try to contact somebody with the spoke rims and get their advice.

Keep trying...it's worth it, that I can tell you! Sorry it didn't mount, I know how you feel! I was the first to ever darkside a 1300 and it took me three.. affraid tires to find how to and what to mount on a mag rim! So, I do feel your frustration.

..........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:15 am

Dang.....got the tire from the list from VTXOA and didn't realize there were 15" cast rims. The list said 205/65/15 and we figured a 195 would be OK.

Any 15" spoke rim riders have any good tire suggestions?
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am

Smoken'JOE wrote:Dang.....got the tire from the list from VTXOA and didn't realize there were 15" cast rims. The list said 205/65/15 and we figured a 195 would be OK.

Any 15" spoke rim riders have any good tire suggestions?

Sorry Smoken'Joe,

But let's try another route. My twin brother is having having heart surgery today and can't spend the time to get you all the names of the guys who have done the mod for spokes. Give me a day or two to get my head straight and I will help.

Hopefully someone will come on and give the data. This site is so weird in that way...once someone puts on a darkside, they usually say thanks and leave and go put tons of miles on one and you usually don't hear from them until they need another one..... Laughing

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:42 am

Prayers for you and your brother.

Not any rush. Ace has already mounted the Dunnie 404. So we're good to go for now.
Are you talkin about the rim sealing?
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:02 am

Smoken'JOE wrote:Prayers for you and your brother.

Not any rush. Ace has already mounted the Dunnie 404. So we're good to go for now.
Are you talkin about the rim sealing?

I was talking about giving you all the options and let you make your mind up which way you want to go! Very Happy

That's how I roll.............. Laughing

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:09 am

Cool Cool thanks..............I'm patient, Get back when you have time.
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Back to top Go down

Post  daves1300s Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:26 am

I runnung a Protenza 195/65/15 on my 06 1300s with the rim sealed. I know it took something over 100 psi to get it to seat. Pumped it up to around 95 psi a couple of times at home letting it down and oiling it up between shots no go. So I took it to a tire store I have been to alot and asked them to hit it with their higher volume air. We let it out and pushed it down off of the seat on the rim on both sides, lubed it up put the hose to it and backed up away from the tire. Everyone was starting to get nervious when it finally popped on the bead. We didn't have a gauge on the line but I am sure it was something over 100 psi. As soon as we heard the second pop we turned the air off and let the pressure off. Been loving it ever since. Cold weather makes it more difficult, mine went on in October. You can try putting in front of a heater to soften the rubber (more flex) but I think the best thing is lub it up and go with high volume of air but watch the pressure. It's not worth getting hurt. Keep trying, the ride and performance is well worth some work.

Dave

daves1300s

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:50 am

daves1300s wrote:I runnung a Protenza 195/65/15 on my 06 1300s with the rim sealed. I know it took something over 100 psi to get it to seat. Pumped it up to around 95 psi a couple of times at home letting it down and oiling it up between shots no go. So I took it to a tire store I have been to alot and asked them to hit it with their higher volume air. We let it out and pushed it down off of the seat on the rim on both sides, lubed it up put the hose to it and backed up away from the tire. Everyone was starting to get nervious when it finally popped on the bead. We didn't have a gauge on the line but I am sure it was something over 100 psi. As soon as we heard the second pop we turned the air off and let the pressure off. Been loving it ever since. Cold weather makes it more difficult, mine went on in October. You can try putting in front of a heater to soften the rubber (more flex) but I think the best thing is lub it up and go with high volume of air but watch the pressure. It's not worth getting hurt. Keep trying, the ride and performance is well worth some work.

Dave

Now I'm really depressed.................We lubed it and lubed it and lubed it. Went to 100psi 3 different times and still wouldn't go. Sad

I'm going to try again with my tire when the time comes. Twin is getting me info.
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm running the Metric 165/70/15 on mine, had the spokes sealed and never looked back. Need to regrease the spline here soon but been too busy riding and job hunting to stop to do it. I'll probably go 105 when I run the tire down, but with a little over 13k on it now, I don't have a reason to change out the tire when it still looks like new. Cool
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:06 pm

cerooth wrote:I'm running the Metric 165/70/15 on mine, had the spokes sealed and never looked back. Need to regrease the spline here soon but been too busy riding and job hunting to stop to do it. I'll probably go 105 when I run the tire down, but with a little over 13k on it now, I don't have a reason to change out the tire when it still looks like new. Cool

Sounds like a good size. Twin had mentioned a 165/80/15 and thats real close to yours. Who sealed the rims?
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:48 pm

Here's a link to the guy who sealed and help more people seal their rims than anybody....wayne. Still looking for the complete "how to" link.

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/sealed-rims-t1376.htm

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Yep wayne did a good job on posting the rim seal thingy. Some its here, also I read here (again somewhere here) about using a car tire tube rather than the m/c tube, thou I believe he was putting on a 205.

I was hopping to go to the 195 next on my vlx so let us know if and how ya'll mounted the 195

mark f.

whoo eee,,,got to ride today, it's been too cold for my hands, but warmed up today, and the ride to work was nice Very Happy

prayers for your bro twin, acey in prayers along with you.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  RonK Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:17 pm

--
Read my post in "Yamaha (Road Star Info)" where I described what I did. I did use a 16" tire, but have spoke wheels that are not sealed, plus a stock tube.

This week I've put about 1,100 miles on it without any problems.

RonK

RonK

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  daves1300s Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:50 am

I sealed my rim per Wayne's instructions, you just have to take your time and be sure you give the sealant time to set up properly. If you decide to go that route you have a few more options in how to seat the bead. I did a search on Google and found some video of a technique useing starter fluid, it is dangerous so try at your own risk. That said, I used that method Saturday on 2 auto tires and rims that didn't want to air up, I couldn't get them to stay up on the rim long enough to start to hold air. Push down on one side so that you can spray a very quick shot of either inside of the tire then I used a long lighter like is used to lite candles to ignite. The explosion pops the tire onto the rim then you can air it up normally. HOWEVER, AGAIN, TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I HAVE NOT NOR DO I KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS USED THIS METHOD ON A MOTORCYCLE RIM. It shocked the crap out of my son when it worked on his car rims though. You can search for other ideas with a Google search on the internet and try the search here for other methods. Just know that it can work if you stick to it.

Good luck,
Dave

daves1300s

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoken'JOE Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:04 am

daves1300s wrote:I sealed my rim per Wayne's instructions, you just have to take your time and be sure you give the sealant time to set up properly. If you decide to go that route you have a few more options in how to seat the bead. I did a search on Google and found some video of a technique useing starter fluid, it is dangerous so try at your own risk. That said, I used that method Saturday on 2 auto tires and rims that didn't want to air up, I couldn't get them to stay up on the rim long enough to start to hold air. Push down on one side so that you can spray a very quick shot of either inside of the tire then I used a long lighter like is used to lite candles to ignite. The explosion pops the tire onto the rim then you can air it up normally. HOWEVER, AGAIN, TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I HAVE NOT NOR DO I KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS USED THIS METHOD ON A MOTORCYCLE RIM. It shocked the crap out of my son when it worked on his car rims though. You can search for other ideas with a Google search on the internet and try the search here for other methods. Just know that it can work if you stick to it.

Good luck,
Dave

Thanks.....that would be a last resort for me. Thanks for the info though.
Smoken'JOE
Smoken'JOE

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon May 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Country boys have been doing the ether blast thing for many years whenever one wouldn't bead. I get nervous at the idea of over 100 psi - that's a spread of tons of pressure on the bead. I like the idea of warming up the tire first, like put a hair dryer in it (or 2) for a half hour or so. That should make it much more pliable.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

wouldn't go Empty tire

Post  Spuddaddy Mon May 03, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm using a General Altimax 195-65-15
I posted my rim sealing procedure...
I used PC-11......tough as nails and dries overnight......
I love my CT so far....
Spuddaddy
Spuddaddy

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Tue May 04, 2010 1:59 am

I think its alot harder to bead a tire with a tube in it , then it is with a tubeless, but I never tried with a tube, I mounte alot of them with the sealed rim or the 1300C rim. the last one I did was Charlie D and we put the 205 70 on it and it poped at about 80, we just had to break the bead last week, because the rubber moved inside and we had to pull it, and re bead it, and it went on at about 40lbs.
Most of the ct that I mounted took over 100 lbs to pop, I have went to 117lbs, but this you do at your own risk. But everything should be good, unless you have a week rim or a flaw in it or the tire. Tire dealers have told me that a tire should handle at leas 3 times the amount of air that is marked on the side of the tire, so if the recomend tire press. is marked at 40 psi cold, it should handle 120.
Some times if you just let it set, go have a beer and some back, it may pop, by the time you get back.
I have never had a problem putting 115 or 117 in it, but it sure makes it spooky.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Rogers Wed May 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Have heard people have had some success by putting the tire out in the sun in the driveway so it can heat up and soften a little before you try to mount it. Also heard of people keeping pressure in the tire overnight and by morning the tire had set on the bead.
Doc Rogers
Doc Rogers

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry1013 Wed May 19, 2010 2:49 pm

When I mounted my tire on the sealed spoke rim it wouldn't seat till I hit 80 psi and 1 side seated when I continued on higher the tire exploded at 114 psi. My second attempt was similar would not seat and I refused to take it that high again. I slathered it up nicely with dish washing liquid all around on both sides and aired it up to 60. It would not seat. Per recommendation of a guy that mounts alot of race tires. I aired it on up to 80 psi and left it out in the sun on my blacktop driveway on a 70 degree day. I went to work and when I came home it had seated on both sides. No idea how long it took. I was gone about 9 hours.

Terry1013

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed May 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Terry1013 wrote:When I mounted my tire on the sealed spoke rim it wouldn't seat till I hit 80 psi and 1 side seated when I continued on higher the tire exploded at 114 psi. My second attempt was similar would not seat and I refused to take it that high again. I slathered it up nicely with dish washing liquid all around on both sides and aired it up to 60. It would not seat. Per recommendation of a guy that mounts alot of race tires. I aired it on up to 80 psi and left it out in the sun on my blacktop driveway on a 70 degree day. I went to work and when I came home it had seated on both sides. No idea how long it took. I was gone about 9 hours.

Congrats................. Very Happy

..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed May 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Welcome to the darkside....... Make sure the tire is scuffed up good before you get to crazy with it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkendill Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:08 am

I too am runnibg the Potenza on my 1500 intruder. But to get it to pop it took about 140 pounds of air pressure, a little scarey but well worth it. ( these tires are tested at over 250 lbs so it shouldnt blow )

bigkendill

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

wouldn't go Empty Mine wouldn't go either...Any suggestions?

Post  gundog Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:28 pm

Tried to get a Bridgestone Potenza 185/65/15 on a 2006 Suzuki M50 and after 3 hours, my mechanic couldn't get the tire to seal. This guy has over 40 years experience and he threw everything at it..including fire, ether and 120 psi. Let it sit for a while and still nothing. Any one have any suggestions? thanks.

gundog

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next