Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NooB Questions

+2
wayne
MadtownVTX
6 posters

Go down

NooB Questions Empty NooB Questions

Post  MadtownVTX Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:43 am

Hello everyone. I've been lurking a little bit and now since I'm tearing apart the X for painting, pair valve, and a new rear tire....I've decided to go to the Darkside *in best Darth Vader voice*. I'm not a noob to the X though--i'm coming over from the VTXOA--go by the handle vtxretro1300 over there.

Here goes the questions....My ride of choice is a 1300S-but I've swapped out the S rims for R rims.

-From what I've read, the best fit for the 1300R is a 205/65-15...is that right? I don't really want to go to the absolute max on size...I'd like to avoid any mods/grinding to the swingarm/fender.

-I'd like to not spend as much for a CT as I do for a MT. I like the look of the directional treaded tires...any advice on tires out there like that..under say $100? I like the GY TripleTread...but that one is pricey. Is the General Grabber directional...seems like a lot of people have that one and it works well.

-Is there anything I should watch out for when I mount the tire? (would I have to take off the brake rotor?) Or is at simple as having the MT stipped off and the CT mounted on?

-I know tire pressure goes by preference but what is a good # to keep it at...I've read many people keep it in the 38-40psi range.

Thank you for putting up with what I'm sure are repetitive questions, but a dumb question is the one that isn't asked right? Any advice/tips you can give will be very much appreciated!! Cool

MadtownVTX

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

NooB Questions Empty Re: NooB Questions

Post  wayne Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:36 am

No dumb questions.
You can go to the 205-70-15 which is a little taller tire, the Grabber is a 70 and the 65 is the cllose one to the OEM size.
If you go to the 215 you may have to mod. your swing are a little, I beleave it was indenting your shaft houseing a little is all.
Look around the site and you will find brands and pictures of tires that will fit the 1300s , and be sure to have twin add you to the dardside list, its around here somewhere.

And, welcome aboard.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxdavis Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:36 pm

I have the grabber 205 70 15 went on with no problems i did turn my exhaust bolts around so that to make sure they would not hit the tire.
vtxdavis
vtxdavis

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post  MadtownVTX Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Stopped in at a local shop and they said they'd be able to get my MC tire off....however the guy didn't think the 205/70r15 would fit on my 1300 rim. If I were to use DynaBeads, would I just strip off the stock weight that's already on the rim? Any tricks of the trade I should be aware of when I tackle this? (already aware of turning the exhaust bolts around). Thanks!

MadtownVTX

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:54 pm

MadtownVTX wrote:Stopped in at a local shop and they said they'd be able to get my MC tire off....however the guy didn't think the 205/70r15 would fit on my 1300 rim. If I were to use DynaBeads, would I just strip off the stock weight that's already on the rim? Any tricks of the trade I should be aware of when I tackle this? (already aware of turning the exhaust bolts around). Thanks!

Some people let the air out of the tire to get it inside the fender. I lowered the swing arm and the tire went right in. You got it just strip the old weights off and pour the beads in....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MadtownVTX Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:13 pm

jedishon wrote:
MadtownVTX wrote:Stopped in at a local shop and they said they'd be able to get my MC tire off....however the guy didn't think the 205/70r15 would fit on my 1300 rim. If I were to use DynaBeads, would I just strip off the stock weight that's already on the rim? Any tricks of the trade I should be aware of when I tackle this? (already aware of turning the exhaust bolts around). Thanks!

Some people let the air out of the tire to get it inside the fender. I lowered the swing arm and the tire went right in. You got it just strip the old weights off and pour the beads in....

Jerry

I've got my bike up on a stand right now and it's pretty much stripped (tank, fenders, etc), so I don't think remounting the tire will be tough. I think the guy at the shop was meaning getting the tire itself onto the rim. I told him many people have used this tire (I'm going with the Grabber) and mounted it no problem. He still seemed a little skeptical, but willing to give it a try. So once I get the tire ordered from Tire Rack....I'll be heading over there.

MadtownVTX

Back to top Go down

Post  MadtownVTX Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:58 am

Is it going to be a bear to get the 205 to mount on my R rim? I've read people having to put the psi up to nearly a hundred to get the bead to seat. I found an auto shop who is willing to give it a go, just want to have some knowledge of what to expect. Thanks!

MadtownVTX

Back to top Go down

Post  dino Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:44 am

I got 1300R and put grabber on it and without any problems at all
guys from honda shop did it for me and it was 1st time for them to put ct on a bike and they took few pics after
dino
dino

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://www.boncphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AKACully Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:08 am

Just mounted Grabber on 1300S rim (unsealed) 100 psi and a sound beating with a dead blow hammer got it mounted. Very Happy

Bill "AKACully"
AKACully
AKACully

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down