Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The value of engine guards.

+3
Steve-O
Otis56
jedishon
7 posters

Go down

The value of engine guards. Empty The value of engine guards.

Post  jedishon Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:04 pm

What is their value? Can we put a value on them? Lets see.
I accepted a new job this morning, and the temp went up to 50.
I need a hair cut. I know I'll throw the seat back on the bike and take it. Don't need a helmet its warm and I'm only going a few blocks. thats finally done, maybe I should get a lottery ticket, could be my lucky day. its so nice, and the little hair I have left feels good in the wind, lets take a little detour. lets take the long way around the golf course/park way home. 50 in a 30 zone just enjoying the ride, ok here comes the left 45 degree turn, its posted 15 and I've scarred myself at 40 on it in perfect conditions, better slow down. Looking where I want to end up after the curve, I don't notice all the sand until my front tire locks up. leaning left for a curve and having your front tire lock up in the sand makes everything go in slow motion. I remembered I haven't crashed like this since I took the motorcycle riding class, and the instructor was not happy with me. Now its my bike and I'm not happy with me. Bike hits the pavement, let go of the handlebars stupid, oh yeah thats better.Now we can both slide freely. Off the road and into the mud and rocks. Crap I forgot to hit the kill switch before I let go, didn't know the tire spun that fast going nowhere. Hit the switch, now how am I gonna pick this thing up. Think I'll start by picking up my cell phone. Ok now the bike, with the left over adrenaline the bike weight about 50 pounds. Felt like I could have lifted it over my head and thrown it in the ditch. Lets look at the damage. Engine guards are twisted, left floor board is folded up, mirror is at a funny angle, the final drive has a couple scratches. kick the mud and rocks out of the floorboard joint and it falls right where its supposed to be. readjust the mirror, start her up and driver her home. I must also mention that I have a set of river road leather bags on the bike that never even thought of folding up or caving in.

Lets see, the engine guard stopped the bike from falling to far letting me get out from under it. Or my foot could have been bent like the floorboard.
I have some scratches on the outside edge of my left leg and some on my knee.

Between the engine guard and the bags I was not injured as badly as I could have been. Priceless.
Listening to my wife and 2 of her sisters singing "slip sliding away". Priceless

If good things happen in threes! I got a job, I didn't get seriously hurt, and I could win the lottery tonight........woo hoo
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

The value of engine guards. Empty Re: The value of engine guards.

Post  Otis56 Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:46 pm

congrats on the new job, sorry about the spill,,,if you win the lottery I'll be your best friend.. All kidding aside, great news on the job. Glad you weren't hurt any worse than what you detailed.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:21 pm

Good to hear you are ok. might have toput the engine guards a bit higher on my priority list!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Glad to hear that you turned out better than I did. I'd hate to razz you. Rolling Eyes
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Muntz wrote:Glad to hear that you turned out better than I did. I'd hate to razz you. Rolling Eyes

Sorry to spoil your chance. I'll try and hurt myself better next time...... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Think that was the first thing to go on my bike and it's saved me a time or two, (first when I was t-boned by a bluehaired lady, second was when my foot found some oil in a parking lot). Just to think that spending the money for it would really make it worth it. Hope everything goes well for you in your new endevour, I'm still hunting for work down here and I am very surprised I haven't heard anything other then "We'll keep you on file for 6-9 months" B.S..
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:24 pm

Unca Jerr
Glad to hear you nor the bike were hurt, congrats on the new job, ...... down south even .... lucky dog you.

Wish we coulda hooked up for a ride or two before you head out. Well Texas aint that far.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  greyboyfan Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Yeah! Glad you're not hurt.
I have some. They saved me some scratches one time.
I was following my wife when she was practicing to ride her Virago. She took off down a really steep hill off a parking lot. I couldn't yell at her in time to prevent it. As she neared the bottom of the hill leading to busy traffic(reason I didn't want her to go that way) ,..she couldn't stop,paniced, hit a stop sign,(I swear) and fell over with her bike. Of corse it's all in slow motion. I stopped quickly,(on the steep hill) and put my kick stand down jumped off and ran down to where she was. I heard this scraping noise behind me, and it was my VTX leaning on my engine guard at about 45 degrees. No damage to mine, OR Wife and her bike. (Thank God). The way she went into that sign, it could have been WAY worse. and after we both calmed down, we rode home together.
She rides Much better now. Very Happy
greyboyfan
greyboyfan

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down