Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting your engine

5 posters

Go down

Painting your engine Empty Painting your engine

Post  Toasted_311 Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 am

I've painted my engine a high temp semi gloss black. I didn't polish the fins. Although you can do that.

To paint the engine you'll need:

1. A good high temp paint, I used 1500* paint, in the color you want.
2. A pack of the 3m scuff pads.
3. Blue painters tape
4. A few days of newspaper
5. Engine degreaser
6. Bag of tack clothes
7. PepsX stand and jack. Not needed but helps get the bike up and level...made it easier for me.

Ok..this is what the engine looks like in the stock color. I did remove the upper fake fins and painted them off the bike. Remove the exhaust and as much of the stuff that can be removed to make it easier.
Painting your engine Onstandprepaint

Next, clean the engine with a degreaser. Then use a scuff pad to scuff all the engine surfaces you wish to paint. Re-clean the engine and let wipe it down with a tack cloth.

Now, some use prime...some don't. I used a matching 1500* engine paint primer with the paint.

TIP: while cleaning the engine with the degreaser...make sure none gets on the lower chrome pieces. Don't ask how I know. Evil or Very Mad

Nows the time to mask off the entire bike. Mask off as much as you can and double or triple layer the newspaper and double tape the edges.

This is the bike masked off and the engine primered.
Painting your engine Sideprimed

And here's a couple shots of the engine painted and back together.
Painting your engine Paintedsideupclose
Painting your engine Leftsidepainted
Painting your engine Sideupclose

Now, if you want to polish the fins. That's usually done prior to painting.

You'll need...
1. Metal file
2. Sanding block
3. Sandpaper..200-2000 grits
4. Polishing compounds
5. Mothers mini powerball
6. Drill for powerball
7. Pinstripping tape

I'd take the upper half of the fins off...makes it easier to get the small edges and you can do them inside. Very Happy

Use the metal file on all fin edges to removed the intial surface. Next, take a piece of 200 grit on the sanding block and wet sand the edges. Repeat this all the way to 2000 grit..ie..200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and a final polish with 2000.

Change the water you use between each grit.

Now to really polish them. Use the powerball and aluminum polish. Start at a slow speed and work it faster to avoid slinging the polish everywhere...trust me.

Once it's all polished up, clean the engine, mask off the edges of the fins with the .08 pin stripping tape. Making sure to cover all the fin edges prior to painting the engine.

Here's one with the fins polished
Painting your engine DSC_0406
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Painting your engine Empty Re: Painting your engine

Post  Biddy Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:31 am

[quote="Toasted_311"]I've painted my engine a high temp semi gloss black. I didn't polish the fins. Although you can do that.

Dandy write up. Cool Did you use Krylon paint?

Biddy
Biddy
Biddy
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:59 pm

Biddy wrote:
Toasted_311 wrote:I've painted my engine a high temp semi gloss black. I didn't polish the fins. Although you can do that.

Dandy write up. Cool Did you use Krylon paint?

Biddy

Nope...used some high temp engine paint from Autozone...been a year...i'd have to look at the cans. lol I know it wasn't Krylon though.

Think it was the Dupicolor. I'll look. It's holding up good though. A few rock chips.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Biddy Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:00 pm

Toasted_311 wrote:
Nope...used some high temp engine paint from Autozone...been a year...i'd have to look at the cans. lol I know it wasn't Krylon though.

Think it was the Dupicolor. I'll look. It's holding up good though. A few rock chips.

Gotcha and thanks. Looks like you got a good thick coat(s) on it too. I'm thing about doing that very same thing this spring once she comes out of her miserably long hibernation. Cool

Biddy
Biddy
Biddy
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  bigd_74 Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:21 pm

Looks good, Joe - good write up! I am thinking about doing this as well over the winter. I've got the bike up on the stand now, gettting ready to polish the rims out. Suspect

My problem is I need to finish some of the projects that I've started before I start another one. Laughing But I really like the look of the painted out engine. Wink

Dave~
bigd_74
bigd_74

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  trell Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:27 pm

painted my engine about 30k ago with 350* engine paint now it started to flake off,going to redo it
with 1200/1500* paint...they do look goood blk...did you get high gloss?....trell

trell

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:09 pm

I did mine with duplicolor high heat semi-gloss and love the look. I also polished my fins though and dissasembled half the Bike. I even polished the fins in the back of the engine, front and between the jugs. IT was a ton of work, but the end result looks very sweet if you ask me. Now, it hasn't been washed in about a year and look all grungy but it is going to get a complete overhaul soon and maybe I'll wash it when I pull the tins to paint them again Smile

Oh yeah, the side covers on the right side can be pulled in less time than it takes to mask them and they are just fake covers as there are real covers underneath them so nothing will leak when you remove them.

Good write-up,
George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content