Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About to go DarkSide this week... bearing question

5 posters

Go down

About to go DarkSide this week... bearing question Empty About to go DarkSide this week... bearing question

Post  davidv-soga Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:12 pm

My 2003 1800 VTX-C that I got in 06 with 5800 miles on it has approx 21,000 miles on it now.

I'll be putting a General Altimax HP V rated tire on there this week... 205/60/16

Would you all suggest that I go ahead and put another bearing in while I've got the tire off ?

Or just put/pack the existing one with moly or synth grease and go with it....

The reason i'm asking, is that someone told me that with the auto tires being on the bike, they had experienced or had trouble with the bearings due to the additonal mileage you could get out of the auto tire... I guess didn't have to change the tires as much therefore the bearings didn't get greased as much or often or maybe that the auto tire contributed to the wear/tear of the bearing???

Any help or suggestions appreciated...

davidv-soga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

About to go DarkSide this week... bearing question Empty Re: About to go DarkSide this week... bearing question

Post  smokey2255 Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:18 pm

If the bearing are junk then replace them. You can check them by turning them by hand once the wheel is off the bike. If they are anything but smoooooth then replace them. The bearings should turn free with no rubbing feel or grabbing at all.

The Moly60 paste is not for the wheel bearings. They are a sealed unit and you can not grease them. Personally after 17K I would change them out.

The Moly60 paste is for the splines on the final drive unit and the hub on the wheel. Clean all the old grease off both surfaces and apply a ligeral coat of grease to both surfaces just prior to reinstalling the wheel.

Just my.02

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

About to go DarkSide this week... bearing question Empty Re: About to go DarkSide this week... bearing question

Post  Steve-O Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:17 am

You should grease the splines every time you change tires. Since CTs last longer, you may need to pull the back wheel at 15k and grease the splines. But yes, check the bearings and grease the splines.....oh, check the brake pads too!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:44 am

And the flange bearrings.
They are common for going bad before a wheel bearing, The splines and bearrings should be checked every time you pull the wheel off. I do, even if it only been 2 or 3,000 miles.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

About to go DarkSide this week... bearing question Empty thanks for all the info !

Post  davidv-soga Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Appreciate the info and advice...

From what I've gathered; the 205/60/16 most folks seem to not have had any rubbing, etc with the fender frame, but while off I may grind down while I'm at it...

A bit nervous about the handling and riding...I'll be extra careful, I've ridden only since Aug 06 (when I got the bike) and have really just go very comfortable and somewhat good about slow, sharp u-turns in parking lots, etc... will probably have to learn that process again with the ct... but overall, I mainly commute, from time to time a winding road or curve or two, and I think it will provide a more comfortable ride for my wife when 2 up...

If I have more questions, guess y'all know I'll be back to ask them ! LOL

davidv-soga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:35 am

You will only notice the differances if you concentrate on the feeling of the tire. Just relax and ride like normal. A wise man once said riding on a ct is 99% mental, and 1% different than a mt.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 am

davidv-soga wrote:Appreciate the info and advice...

From what I've gathered; the 205/60/16 most folks seem to not have had any rubbing, etc with the fender frame, but while off I may grind down while I'm at it...

A bit nervous about the handling and riding...I'll be extra careful, I've ridden only since Aug 06 (when I got the bike) and have really just go very comfortable and somewhat good about slow, sharp u-turns in parking lots, etc... will probably have to learn that process again with the ct... but overall, I mainly commute, from time to time a winding road or curve or two, and I think it will provide a more comfortable ride for my wife when 2 up...

If I have more questions, guess y'all know I'll be back to ask them ! LOL

You'd notice a change if you went with a different mc tire. You'll do fine. It's not a big difference.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down