Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another newbie question about going darkside

4 posters

Go down

Another newbie question about going darkside Empty Another newbie question about going darkside

Post  Old legend Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Ok, I'm looking to go darkside. I've got a 2006 Honda VTX 1800R. The origional tire that came on it is a crappy Dunlop 180/70R-16. I've checked out the calculators and talked with others that have gone to the CT, and it appears that a 205/55-16 is a good option. On the website for Tire Rack they have at least 95 tires that fit the bill. I'm looking for a tire in the $95-$120 price range. My question is is there any one particular brand of tire or style that is better than the other for doing this. I see grand touring, standard touring, high performance all season, just don't know which style to go with. Any help would be appreciated.
Old legend
Old legend

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Another newbie question about going darkside Empty Re: Another newbie question about going darkside

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:17 pm

I would got with the larger side wall if you want my opinion because it gives a smoother ride and no advantage with grip from either one. JMO. Most go with what ever has the directional tread.

Good luck and try something someone recommends so you don't have any issues.

...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Another newbie question about going darkside Empty Re: Another newbie question about going darkside

Post  speedsville Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:28 pm

I've had the GoodYear Triple Tread for a couple of years on my 02 R, It has been fine.
Very pleased with the ride.
speedsville
speedsville

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Congrats and welcome.
Just answered this at another post.

+1 at what Bobby wrote, besides the 205-55 will lower your bike a bit more then an inch. (overall diameter - 1.04)
If that's what you want OK, if not try the 205-60. (overall diameter - 0.23)
Good luck and let us know. We love pic's.

Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Another newbie question about going darkside Empty Another newbie question about going darkside

Post  Old legend Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:57 am

Thanks, I'm just trying to find a good tire to put on the bike without any clearance issues. As old as I am I still don't completely understand the numbering on tires.
Old legend
Old legend

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:01 am

Here's an easy to read link to a page explaining tire numbers etc:
http://www.coasttire.com/tires/readsidewall.asp

Here's a link to an easy to use tire size calculator:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

The 205-60 will not give you clearing issues. Check some older posts to find out what we all ride.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Old legend Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Ok, so I bought a new CT for my 2006 VTX 1800R, I bought a P205/60R-16 Yokohama AVID TOURING-S. Man does that look like a big tire, but others have said it will fit, so I'm going to give it a try. I'm looking forward to trying this out.
Old legend
Old legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum