Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How hard is it to pull out a tank dent?

+2
twin1300
Steve-O
6 posters

Go down

How hard is it to pull out a tank dent? Empty How hard is it to pull out a tank dent?

Post  Steve-O Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:45 pm

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/822808048.html

How hard is it to pull out a dent like this?

Cheaper to replace and repaint the tank?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

How hard is it to pull out a tank dent? Empty Re: How hard is it to pull out a tank dent?

Post  twin1300 Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:51 pm

Yes....that's a hard dent to pull out! Tanks are made out of stiff steel and not easily pulled out because the dent makes it even stronger by giving it more bends or sorta makes it annealed! That a tough spot with multiple contours to fix! My best advice is to get a used one or one with smaller damaged and more easily repaired!

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

How hard is it to pull out a tank dent? Empty Re: How hard is it to pull out a tank dent?

Post  gstanfield Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:42 pm

you MAY be able to get to that one from the back side if you are creative and work it quite a bit. I've seen and fixed worse types, but it's not easy. To be completely honest and not mean, if you have to ask then it is probably going to be ablove your skill level. I don't mean that being a jerk or nothing, but I'm a very experienced body man with lots of experience in fabrication and I think I could fix it but it would be a chore for sure, including probably making some custom bent tools to reach in there.

in all, I'm going to agree with Twin and say that it'd probably be best to Ebay one.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

How hard is it to pull out a tank dent? Empty tank dent

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:47 pm

OR BUY THE BIKE AND PAY GEORGE TO TRY AND FIX IT IF HE IS WILLING.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtwarrior Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:03 pm

That dent creased and stretched the metal. It will be hard to make it perfect without using bondo. Best to find a better tank.
dirtwarrior
dirtwarrior

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Cheaper, less of a headache to get a used tank off Ebay or something.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:04 pm

Nothing is impossible with enough time and duct tape Smile

Yeah, buy a new tank. I would fix it, but time is not my friend right now. Especially with me in the process of stuffing a V-8 in a little bity 1991 GMC Sonoma Very Happy Gotta love toys!

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:54 pm

gstanfield wrote:Nothing is impossible with enough time and duct tape Smile

Yeah, buy a new tank. I would fix it, but time is not my friend right now. Especially with me in the process of stuffing a V-8 in a little bity 1991 GMC Sonoma Very Happy Gotta love toys!

George

When you're ready to ditch the Sonoma let me know. I love a S series GM truck with a V8. Makes a great sleeper. Twisted Evil
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:57 am

Thanks for the responses. I figured the tank would not be as easy as pulling dents out of a car. sounds like a new tank and repaint is the best solution.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Toasted_311 wrote:
gstanfield wrote:Nothing is impossible with enough time and duct tape Smile

George

When you're ready to ditch the Sonoma let me know. I love a S series GM truck with a V8. Makes a great sleeper. Twisted Evil

Hehehe, this one is going to be even more of a sleeper. I am building it for a daily driver and am running a single exhaust with good flowing, but quiet mufflers, building it for extreme torque and running an overdrive transmission. the engine build I am following produced 400 ft/lbs of torque at a measly 2000rpm and still managed to pull almost 300hp at 4600rpm. Not a track day weapon for sure, but all that grunt in that light truck it will still get off the line in a hurry and cruise at 90mph all day long with the OD!

OK, sorry for the threadjack, back to your regularly scheduled programming Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down