Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire Balancing

+12
mark_1bx
Doc Rogers
Rambler
Larry Simpson
yamahamer
starider
horseman8m
DS-Wing-Nut
twin1300
Steve-O
Daniel Meyer
BIGT FROM F.B.
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tire Balancing - Page 2 Empty Re: Tire Balancing

Post  Oldsmobility Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 am

I'd been wanting to see an explanation of these magic beads. This still seems crazy to me. I don't see how the beads would be any different than having liquid in the tire. The worst vibration I ever experienced in a vehicle was from about a quart of muddy water inside of a huge truck tire. Shouldn't that water have performed just like the beads and balanced the tire?

Inertia should cause those beads to seek the lowest spot in the tire. A heavier section of the tire will have more force pulling it away from the wheel, thus wouldn't it stand to reason that the heavy portion of the tire would be lower, causing the beads to collect on the heavy side of the tire, amplifying the imbalance?

Has anyone actually put dyna beads in a tire and then put it on a spin balancer to see if they're actually doing what they claim? I think that would be an interesting experiment.

Personally, I'm going to stick with good old fashioned lead, but if the beads work for you guys, more power to you.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Rogers Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:28 am

Look at the links I posted and you will see how the beads work. A very good demonstration video and diagrams.

They are not the same as water, first, water is much more dense, 2nd it tends to stick together more which means you will could have a big wave of water rolling around instead of dispersing like the beads.
Doc Rogers
Doc Rogers

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:04 pm

I've run CT's for quite a while now.... some of you know me...
I'm on my third CT on my Gold Wing... 6th CT on a Motorcycle..

I am testing a new balancing technique for my CT right now..... Most won't believe it or try it.... Of course I AM!! I will report after the life of the tire..... It's a brand new tire so I have about 17,000 miles to go on it before the test is over.... But as some of you know this will only be about 7 months or so with my riding frequency.

More info later...... I will reveal it later....
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:12 am

DS-Wing-Nut wrote:I've run CT's for quite a while now.... some of you know me...

I am testing a new balancing technique for my CT right now..... Most won't believe it or try it.... Of course I AM!! I will report after the life of the tire..... It's a brand new tire so I have about 17,000 miles to go on it before the test is over.... But as some of you know this will only be about 7 months or so with my riding frequency.

Thats just not right to leave us hanging for 7 months....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:34 am

jedishon wrote:
DS-Wing-Nut wrote:I've run CT's for quite a while now.... some of you know me...

Thats just not right to leave us hanging for 7 months....

Jerry

I was thinking the same thing. DS=Wingnut that just aint right.
Here is my experience. I Mounted my tire at a tire shop and took it to the stealer for balance. I ride the bike for a little over 500 miles and then started to feel a wobble / shake from the rear, It was not bad but it was there. I had ordered the Dynabeads the same time I ordered the tire, but they were not delivered at the same time. I simply popped off the stick on weights and installed the dynabeads through the valve stem, put air in the tire and it has been smooth sailing ever since.
I see no science in it as it does not matter to me. I can tell ya that it works. That alone is enough me. I think that sometimes people look into things too much and just wont allow themselves to use there own common sence. I value the information that I have received from this site but I also take into fact that people are people. Good and bad. Opinions are just that. God gave us the ability to come to our own conclusions. Now go out and ride the damn thing.

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:18 am

Ok... Ok....
maybe after 3 months I'll report.....

I just want to make sure it's working and viable to pass on the info.

It's working so Far and I can't tell any difference from Dynabeads or Lead weights....

Easy to install and Damn it... IT works!! I'm curious to see how the tire wears....

Thanks All,

-DW
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

Tire Balancing - Page 2 Empty Tire Balancing

Post  starider Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:18 pm

I balanced my own tire and rim. I put a wood dowel through the bearings and supended the wheel between two 5 gallon buckets. A local tire shop gave me a strip of stick on wheel weights so one by one I stuck a weight on the rim and rotated the heavey side up and eventually got a perfect balance. It only took five minits. Each little stick on wheight was 7 grams and it took 4 to balance. Cool
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  d-dallass@hotmail.com Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:04 pm

air soft pellets work great too. I just used some old postal scales and put them in before I set the bead. The difference in the vibrations is amazing. I can take my vlx on a two hour ride without loosing feeling in my ass.
d-dallass@hotmail.com
d-dallass@hotmail.com

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:54 pm

d-dallass@hotmail.com wrote:air soft pellets work great too. I just used some old postal scales and put them in before I set the bead. The difference in the vibrations is amazing. I can take my vlx on a two hour ride without loosing feeling in my ass.

You see!!!! I aint the only guy who runs the air soft pellets! Very Happy You just have to put them in before you mount the tire and you can buy them at Wallyworld.

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:34 pm

starider wrote:I balanced my own tire and rim. I put a wood dowel through the bearings and supended the wheel between two 5 gallon buckets. A local tire shop gave me a strip of stick on wheel weights so one by one I stuck a weight on the rim and rotated the heavey side up and eventually got a perfect balance. It only took five minits. Each little stick on wheight was 7 grams and it took 4 to balance. Cool

Not sayin that method does or doesnt work. I just wonder if the wheel and tire was spin balanced how much weight it would take. Has anyone that ballances there own dont this? Im just asking out of curiousity, I have found that the Dyan Beads were just about the easiest way to do and they work awsome. I have 16000 on my big ol 215/45-18 and it is as smooth as glass. Lots of tread left.

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm

DS-Wing-Nut wrote:Ok... Ok....
maybe after 3 months I'll report.....

I just want to make sure it's working and viable to pass on the info.

It's working so Far and I can't tell any difference from Dynabeads or Lead weights....

Easy to install and Damn it... IT works!! I'm curious to see how the tire wears....

Thanks All,

-DW

Are we ready for a reveal Yet???

-DW
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content