Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire Brand Recommendations

+4
horseman8m
twin1300
smokey2255
whitebassfisher
8 posters

Go down

Tire Brand Recommendations Empty Tire Brand Recommendations

Post  whitebassfisher Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 pm

I really want to go Darkside. The smooth ride that gets mentioned, plus that huge contact patch for braking just makes me want to do it. Size I want is 205/65-15. The Douglas gets mentioned often. I found one at Wally World, and it measured about 4 & 1/2" across the beads unmounted. I am leary of the Douglas because of poor reviews by car users. If I go to the trouble of changing, I want a good tire. Are there any Goodyear, Michelin, Goodrich, etc of that size that measure about 4 & 1/2"? I want to hear from people who actually have experience with a specific tire.

whitebassfisher

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

Tire Brand Recommendations Empty Re: Tire Brand Recommendations

Post  smokey2255 Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:05 pm

There are a lot of Douglass fans on here. Twin is running one and I can vouche for him being an agressive rider that puts the tire through the paces. If he says its good I would go with it. I run a toyo proxxes tpt4 but I have a 16 inch rim also. I believe the only tire I have heard bad reviews on is the faulken and that is only to say that it is a bitch to mount if it even will mount. Others will be along shortly to give their .02

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:28 pm

I love the Douglas so far....It handles fine and smooth also. I have no complaints on the tire and I ride it hard!

.....................twin

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:50 pm

yes they all make good tires but you should ask yourself "what am I looking for in a tire?"
there are some directional tires that look great, if you looking for a directional tire.
wet roads is another thing if you ride in weather,
profile if this is your first darkside , a rounder profile seems to make it easy to switch,
are you wanting to go to the foots mod in a year or two and put an 1800 real wheel on then you can put a cheap tire on for now and get used to it and go with another tire when you switch over to the 16" rim,
look at all the tire websites and get as much info as you can , take your time .
you have done the first big step by asking , the people here are very helpfull.
Me i did things a little different and went my own way .
I advise research :
http://www.tires-easy.com/start.html
http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp
https://www.tiresavings.com/index.php
Just a few to get you started , and look in the specs of each tire,
good luck, Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  mlr1968 Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:48 pm

I give my thumb of approval on the Dogulas, running it for one week myself and about 300 miles so far and I am a happy camper!! I have been riding my bike more intensely then normal, and I am IMPRESSED!! Oh, see my posts on the Dogulas tire and u can get my first impressions after install. Very Happy
mlr1968
mlr1968

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:35 am

Love my Douglas....Got about 8,000 mile on it and it still looks new....

Tire Brand Recommendations Douglastireuh2

My main reason for going with it is I didn't want to be out of a lot of money if I didn't like it.
But I wont go back.
Good luck on your choice..

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  DEFREEZER Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:44 am

I like the General Grabber 205 70 15. I have put over 6000 miles on it in the past 4 months and it has performed great. I love having to back out of the throttle in hard corners to keep from running over my HD buddies. Twisted Evil
DEFREEZER
DEFREEZER

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  kermitdog Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:25 am

I have the Falken Ziex ZE-512 and it's 205/65R-15. It's moounted on my 1300s. I love it. there are about 5 people on here with this tire...
kermitdog
kermitdog

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:36 am

kermitdog wrote:I have the Falken Ziex ZE-512 and it's 205/65R-15. It's moounted on my 1300s. I love it. there are about 5 people on here with this tire...

Awesome.....have you posted some pics of it yet?????? I would love to see what it looks like on the raked bike?

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  kermitdog Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:51 pm

twin1300 wrote:
kermitdog wrote:I have the Falken Ziex ZE-512 and it's 205/65R-15. It's moounted on my 1300s. I love it. there are about 5 people on here with this tire...

Awesome.....have you posted some pics of it yet?????? I would love to see what it looks like on the raked bike?

.................bobby

these are the only pictures I got so far... I took them when I mounted it... by the way I did get it beaded and set with the stock tube! I do need a new fender... just cause with the 11" progressive shocks and the fender so low it doesn't show the glory of the darkside to well... at least it's not bottoming out... will post some new ones soon... Tire Brand Recommendations DSCN1292 Tire Brand Recommendations DSCN1286 Tire Brand Recommendations DSCN1288 Tire Brand Recommendations DSCN1283
kermitdog
kermitdog

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down